Mod File Structure
Mods have a pre-arranged file structure that they must adhere to. Basically we as the developer are showing the engine where to look for game resources, be it sound effects, textures, landscapes, or models. The data folder contains all the information our mod needs to function properly.
Creating the Data Folder:
- Navitgate to your mod folder, in our case it will be the myfirstmod folder
- Double-Click to enter the folder
- Right-Click and select "New Folder"
- Rename the folder "data" without the quotations
Note: This stage is required for any mod, and must be set up like so for the mod to be recognized by the game engine.
So far your setup should look similar to this depending on your operating system and username. Below is an example using windows seven:
The next step will be to add the necessary files and folders inside our data folder.
- Double-Click our "data" folder to enter it
Now we need to add a couple files and folders:
Required Folders and Files for our Mod:
The following files need to be created and inserted into our mods data folder.
- Create an "accessories" folder
- Create a "landscapes" folder
- Create an "lua" folder
- Create a "meshes" folder
- Create a "music" folder
- Create a "talk" folder
- Create a "tanks" folder
- Create a "textures" folder
- Create a "wav" folder
- Create a "windows" folder
Reminder: To create a new folder, right click and select new folder.
Reminder:Check your spelling carefully, your mod will not function with incorrect spelling in the folder name, or capital letters.