The state of development

Post subject: The state of development
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:17 am 
Site Admin
Not Signed Up For Stats

Development for the next version of Scorched3D has been going on for a while, and while it has been slow things are still progressing. Here's what has been happening.

The new version started with a generaly tidy up of the code; namespaces for scorched utilities, removal of static buffers, a cleaner directory structure, a newer compiler, switching to SVN. This should all make development easier in the long run.

The next change was to fix the nextwork disconnects issue that has been plaguing online games for the last few versions, and while scale testing hasn't been performed yet it does look a lot better.

After this came the issue of performance, a lot of time was spent getting S3D to perform the way it should on high end (and lower end) machines. In depth OpenGL performance tuning was performned capped off by switching the landscape from it's ROAM form into a geomipmap/quadtree system. The ROAM renderer was the very first system made for the game and has been in since the very beggining. Trees and birds have also been optimized.

As the rendering has been optimized the landscape border/surround has been removed, if you want a border just make a larger landscape. New options have been provided to limit the arena (playing area) size within the landscape.

Next a scripting language has been added (LUA). This should increase the possibilites for modding and making on the fly changes to the server. For example a betting system, or a bounty system could be added to the server just through some new scripts.

Currently I am putting in a long overdue localization system (multi-language support). This will probably start quite basic at the begining till we see what the uptake is like.

After this I may look at some mini games for dead people (currently waiting for some 3rd party web development work http://meta.nuanti.com/).

Any comments or other work packages welcome.

regards,
Gavin

Post subject: Re: The state of development
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:38 am 
Obliterated

Current Scorched3D Rank: 33

LUA support, sweet. Use that on Sping, can add alot of nice features to that game. Oh I can imagine Thraxs excitement at that :)

Thnx for the update, sounds like the next version will be very nice indeed!

While ya messing about, ya couldnt quickly chuck multi-threading in there could ya :D
Scorched3d Live Streams

YouTube

Cowbell wrote:
Dishonorable mention:
Peanus Revenge: Do we really have to explain this one?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:54 am 
Obliterated

Current Scorched3D Rank: Unranked

For a while, I'll be mostly working on rebuilding every map made... The
surround extending scrambles any pre-placed structures on an existing map.

LUA script isn't completed yet, but it does have great potential.

I've yet to build this week's updates, but so far it has run smoother inside and
server-side than before; with no ejects yet on the limited tests run. Maybe
once it hits beta, we can run it more heavily.

There are still a few more other inclusions I'd like to see, but diddn't want
to swamp Gavin, he's already overworked as it is. (midi and napalm-deform)

I often load up the pre-alpha server with either default or a mod for those
that pick it up and build it themselves.
Scorched3D Mod-Servers
Forum
Stats
Mods-Page

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:32 pm 
Desintigrated

Choose one:

Impressive. Cool. Stupendous.
Chopper:
I really enjoy talking with folks in other countries, drinking stoli/tonic... pulling off shots that seem impossible, drinking..

Fact: CO2 = less than .04% (.00038) of the atmosphere - only a small fraction of that is man made.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:03 pm 
Burned to a crisp

Ooh, localisation!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:09 pm 
Reduced to ashes

Very nice indeed! LUA should add some really nice possibilities for sure. Thanks for the update and take you time doing that voodoo that you do mr Camp! :D :D :D
Ut sementem feceris, ita metes - Cicero
---
What is history but a fable agreed upon? - Napoleon Bonaparte

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:09 am 
Burned to a crisp
Not Signed Up For Stats

can someone please update best of s3d?
Join me in my quest to revive the mods! support the mods, and join more servers!

Death to all who oppose me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:12 am 
Desintigrated

doom wrote:

I think Thrax has it listed on the mods list, but the link to it doesn't work. Perhaps he plans to update it sometime.
Chopper:
I really enjoy talking with folks in other countries, drinking stoli/tonic... pulling off shots that seem impossible, drinking..

Fact: CO2 = less than .04% (.00038) of the atmosphere - only a small fraction of that is man made.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:25 am 
Reduced to ashes

Current Scorched3D Rank: 6

Wow sounds like a lot of work. Thank you for putting your time into this for all those involved.
Not an addict just can't stop

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:27 am 
Obliterated

BOY wrote:
doom wrote:

I think Thrax has it listed on the mods list, but the link to it doesn't work.
Perhaps he plans to update it sometime.
Correct.
At the moment, there's only 3 popular mods of v40 that haven't been
released in an updated form for v41.

Moogle, since he mentioned he was doing it himself(a while ago tho, I may
do so anyway).
Best-of-s3d since i just haven't really gotten around to it. May if there's
enough call.
And Toy-Box, since it's author still exists and plays. If he chooses to
release it again, great.. otherwise he can note his lack of interest in
it, and a converted copy could be released by another if players called
for it.
Scorched3D Mod-Servers
Forum
Stats
Mods-Page

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:21 am 
Reduced to ashes

Current Scorched3D Rank: 6

The more I think about it the more I think boy is on to something about changing the stats. He was in here tonight playing a bit and I would agree the stats should be tweaked somehow. But I love the idea of bets and bounties. That is an awesome idea! Side games would rock a bit too.
Not an addict just can't stop

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:34 am 
Not Signed Up For Stats

leatherwolf here hello all.get the ball bouncing here lol,yes we are all tired of the eject bug thats been threw all games on scorched.tested it on new vs 42 works great..! now.rollers.thrax had a comment to me a while back they bounce too much , will they be fixed to just roll on off a cliff to target.? I found in lowering gravity in a mod will reduce the bounce ,but will effects the shots also.but anyways ive been on s3d 3 years now,well take that back in 1991 found this game from a friend.look dude a cool game on dos,stuck with it.played it at work too,til i got fired lol..rich your not doing ur job your on comp all day.so i was then gone from scorched dos game too. till i found s3d was looking for my old mother of earth dos game.i was like no way..they made a new version :O .........checked it out been a player for many years..til i got a bug up my arse. went off line for few months bored thinking ,i can try making my own games,took many failures to doit but i did,no comp help just on my own for 3 months trying to make one that worked and it did...i now have 5 mods in my belt and assisting other mods too as well,ty gavin,thrax,panther for great work..and dont ever not think bout bob where is he?
well gnight and sweet dreams of war and descruction :D tc my friends..LW

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:32 pm 
Desintigrated

glad to hear of another old time scorched earth gamer :) I was the same way but I played the original at home where I could not get fired :) One day I found S3D at work and played it many hours until the boss said "tone it down". :P

Then I found apoc, and Bob, and he is the most cool guy ever, and he helped me mod and understand the code and stuff and stuff. And he let me rant.... I sure love to rant.

But I miss Bob too, the games miss Bob. He played with us. If you miss him send him a PM. He is still alive (somone asked me if he was recently) He just might PM you back! [-o< I think he's taking a long break and one day he'll come back. For all I know he is still keeping up with development of his mods but without much chat.
Chopper:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:21 pm 
Burned to a crisp

gcamp wrote:
Currently I am putting in a long overdue localization system (multi-language support). This will probably start quite basic at the begining till we see what the uptake is like.

What is the status of the fonts? I have remembered i searched for internationals fonts ago and found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DejaVu_fonts
http://dejavu.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
They are full of international charsets, and 2 fonts of them look 100% the same as currently used.

The problem was that 'extra bold' font that is used in the game. i didnt found equivalent for it.
One of the DejaVu fonts is suitable for this, but there is need to make it even more bolder by some external tool.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:42 pm 
Site Admin
Not Signed Up For Stats

naka wrote:
gcamp wrote:

What is the status of the fonts? I have remembered i searched for internationals fonts ago and found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DejaVu_fonts
http://dejavu.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
They are full of international charsets, and 2 fonts of them look 100% the same as currently used.

The problem was that 'extra bold' font that is used in the game. i didnt found equivalent for it.
One of the DejaVu fonts is suitable for this, but there is need to make it even more bolder by some external tool.

Thanks, I'll have a look at those. I guess we could just change the game font. Or for the international versions at least.