Help installing onto Mac OS X (and app build request)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:47 am 
Charred

Current Scorched3D Rank: Unranked

Here is an alternate method for finding the X11 installation package.
1. Insert Mac OS X Tiger installation DVD disk 1 into your Mac.
2. Use Spotlight to search for a file named X11User.pkg. It is
typically in /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/
Packages.
3. Once located, click on this package to start the installation
process.

This information is from page 203 in the book "Learning Unix for Mac
OS X Tiger" by Dave Taylor. This book is a very good guide to using
the Darwin version of UNIX that comes with OS X. This book is
excellent for beginners, is published by O'Reilly and costs $19.95.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:30 pm 
Uncooked
Not Signed Up For Stats

Thanks, that did the trick, then I just ran the scorched file and it worked.

Guess the installation absolutely requires X11 and cannot be done with Terminal. I think that putting the instructions I received here into the tutorial for now would help a lot of people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:11 am 
Charred

I'm glad you didn't give up and got Scorched running. I've helped some other OSX users - some successfully and I think others just threw their hands up and ran out of the room screaming :lol:

Judging from some recent posts in the General Gameplay forum - it looks like there are OSX programmers working on making game installation simpler for the rest of us, and that's a good thing.

Thankfully game installation is a one time burden - so start playing Scorched and watch out for those Funky's...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:05 pm 
Uncooked
Not Signed Up For Stats

hi,

im on a macbook pro (OSX 10.4.9) and im trying to get scorched3d working, and i've read this thread and the link: http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Mac

i installed X11 as i didnt have it, and have followed the directions in the wiki link, and when i get to step 7, it said this:

r220-101-116-101:~ biancajackson$ cd documents
r220-101-116-101:~/documents biancajackson$ sudo mv scorched3d /usr/local/games/
Password:
mv: rename scorched3d to /usr/local/games/: No such file or directory

so i tried the part in the troubleshooting at the bottom of the page, and got this:

r220-101-116-101:~/documents biancajackson$ mkdir /usr/local/games
mkdir: /usr/local: No such file or directory
r220-101-116-101:~/documents biancajackson$

and im at a loss as to what to do now, please help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:58 pm 
Burned to a crisp

beebee wrote:
r220-101-116-101:~/documents biancajackson$ mkdir /usr/local/games
mkdir: /usr/local: No such file or directory
r220-101-116-101:~/documents biancajackson$

and im at a loss as to what to do now, please help?

Try "mkdir -p /usr/local/games" as root. The "-p" flag makes sure that all parent directories are created as necessary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:00 pm 
Uncooked
Not Signed Up For Stats

parasti wrote:
Try "mkdir -p /usr/local/games" as root. The "-p" flag makes sure that all parent directories are created as necessary.

r220-101-116-101:~ biancajackson$ mkdir -p /usr/local/games
mkdir: /usr/local: Permission denied
r220-101-116-101:~ biancajackson$

nope??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:36 pm 
Burned to a crisp

By "as root" I mean that the command must be executed by the superuser. My guess is that you have to prefix the mkdir command with "sudo".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:43 am 
Crispy

One of the main installation problems for most Mac users is using the Terminal. Typing in Unix commands is not why we bought Macs (unless you're a Power User). What I did was install TinkerTool, a free utility that allows you to "Show hidden and system files" as well as make other changes.

With this option selected, you can go to your main harddrive and see the /usr/local/games directory and all of the other hidden folders thru the Finder like you normally do. If you don't have the local/games folders, create the nest of folders in your Desktop and drag them into the correct spot. If you are not logged on as an Admin (which sounds like your case beebee), it will ask you to type in an Admin name and password to confirm.

One minor problem with this program is that w/ hidden files showing, the icons all look grayed out, so I only turn it on when I need it. You can "Relaunch Finder" (to accept TinkerTool changes) at any time and it doesn't affect any other programs running.

It helps to know a little Unix, mv = move or rename directory (folder), cd = change directory, mkdir = make directory. Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:55 am 
Charred

Those instructions are old (I know - I wrote them) and aren't applicable to Scorched3d version 41.x . The latest version of Scorched is an app that runs right from the desktop like every other normal Mac program. Note the previous Version 40.x was a Universal binary (compiled by a user), while the latest version 41.1 on the download page is just a PPC version - as the program author doesn't have an Intel Mac. It should still run an Intel Mac - but with reduced performance under Rosetta.

Bottom line - version 41.1 should just work if you double-click scorched3d (inside the bin folder).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:51 am 
Uncooked
Not Signed Up For Stats

fab4 wrote:
Those instructions are old (I know - I wrote them) and aren't applicable to Scorched3d version 41.x . The latest version of Scorched is an app that runs right from the desktop like every other normal Mac program. Note the previous Version 40.x was a Universal binary (compiled by a user), while the latest version 41.1 on the download page is just a PPC version - as the program author doesn't have an Intel Mac. It should still run an Intel Mac - but with reduced performance under Rosetta.

Bottom line - version 41.1 should just work if you double-click scorched3d (inside the bin folder).

oh i see! thanks! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:35 pm 
Uncooked
Not Signed Up For Stats

beebee wrote:
fab4 wrote:

oh i see! thanks! :D

Hi guys!
Where can i download that Universal binary of Scorched? I tried to compile it myself but I had problems with it.
Can you give me the url of this compiled universal App (40.x) ?

best regards,
Bellerophon

ADD: I have found that version but it seems that it is incompatible with leopard :/ .

Post subject: Launches then crashes.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:49 am 
Not Signed Up For Stats

Hi all...downloaded the latests version of scorched3d 41.3

I'm on an Intel Macbook.

It launches fine and I can go into settings etc, but when I launch a game, it crashes while loading " Landscape map".

Any Ideas?

Help is appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Launches then crashes.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:34 pm 
Desintigrated

Location: At my home in Herrlingen, Germany. Recovering from another assassination attempt.
I'm sure someone will soon be along that can help you.
etrain wrote:
Hi all...downloaded the latests version of scorched3d 41.3

I'm on an Intel Macbook.

It launches fine and I can go into settings etc, but when I launch a game, it crashes while loading " Landscape map".

Any Ideas?

Help is appreciated.

While you are waiting, I suggest that you check and make sure that you have the latest drivers installed for your graphics card. If not do that and then try again.

Best wishes,

Rommel
Nothing gives one person so much advantage over another as to remain
always cool and unruffled under all circumstances. - Thomas Jefferson

You can discover more about a person in an hour of play
than in a year of conversation. - Plato

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:53 am 
Obliterated

I would also turn the graphics settings down in the settings to see if lower settings will work.

Attachments:
low settings.jpg
low settings.jpg [ 86.26 KiB | Viewed 2331 times ]
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Mark Twain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:49 pm 
Charred

I tried Scorched 41.3 on my wife's MacBook running OSX 10.5.4. Worked fine after I clicked the 'Safe Options' button in the Settings menu, and unchecked the 'Full Screen' button. I also don't like listening to the in-game music (would much rather listen to my music in iTunes) so I checked the 'No Music' checkbox.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next