Help installing onto Mac OS X (and app build request)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:47 am 
Charred

Current Scorched3D Rank: Unranked

You are running OSX 10.4.x on a G4 or G5 computer and your video card has at least 16 MB of VRAM, right?

OpenAL is already installed with OSX 10.4 - you shouldn't download/install the older version.

More info on OpenAL http://developer.apple.com/audio/openal.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:12 am 
Singed
Not Signed Up For Stats

Wow... so let me get this straight. I opened it to the "scorched3d" folder in my "Documents" folder, and typed "ls." It gave me the list, everything you said up there. So i typed, "./scorched3d," and it keeps saying this "dyld: ./scorched3d can't open library: /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.1.dylib (No such file or directory, errno = 2)." Normally i have no idea what i'm doing wrong, heh.

Oh, and i think i've figured out that the "Move" command the tutorial Mac tells you do to isn't needed, and that you can just open the "scorched3d" folder, and try from there. But i don't know if i'm right or not... so yeah.

Your help is much appreciated.

-------
Response to last post
-------
I'm running on an Emac (so yes G4), my video card can hold VRAM 32mb, and i'm pretty sure i'm running better than 10.4. If there's a way to check, please inform me, or if there's a way to check if you've got OpenAl installed (i remember installing it even if i don't have it, but i'm not sure where it goes once it's installed).
hey hey hey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:47 pm 
Charred

Your eMac is good enough to run scorched3d. From the Finder, click the blue Apple icon - About this Mac- to display the OSX version and the amount of RAM installed. Most of my machines have 512 MB and they run scorched3d just fine - I honestly don't know what's the minimum needed for scorched3d.

Referring to your second point - scorched3d is designed to run from your /usr/local/games folder. You only need to move the scorched3d folder to /usr/local/games once when you install the game. Afterwards, just open the Terminal or X11 and type:
cd /usr/local/games/scorched3d [return]
./scorched3d [return]

Lastly, it appears that the program is looking for X11. Are you trying to use scorched3d 40.1d or an earlier version? Earlier versions required X11 to be installed. You'll need to install X11 from your OSX 10.4 CD/DVD - it's an Optional Install. Check the link in the original install directions for more info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:16 pm 
Singed
Not Signed Up For Stats

Yes it has 512ram.

So wait, what if i don't have a usr/local/games folder? I can't move it there if i have no such folder? Should i make one? Do you have an AIM Screen name so we can make this go much faster?
hey hey hey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:30 pm 
Charred

You ought to spend more time reading the instructions - they tell you how to create a games folder here: http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:44 pm 
Singed
Not Signed Up For Stats

right but i don't even know if i have a "USR," or "Local" folder, on top of that, i don't know if it's actually creating the folder when i type those commands. It keeps saying, "(username)/usr/local (username)$."

When I type, "cd /usr/local/games," it takes me to that folder apprently. So i type "ls," and it tells me that apparently this "Games" folder, is the scorched3d folder, because it has all of the files in it. When i type, "./scorched3d," it gives me the same message, "dyld: ./scorched3d can't open library: /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.1.dylib (No such file or directory, errno = 2)." Also i have no knowledge of how to access this folder (searched my computer, it doesn't seem to exist).
hey hey hey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:39 pm 
Charred

Dude,
Go back and carefully reread the instructions - you skipped a couple of steps! Specifically - you need to create a folder called scorched3d on your desktop and drag the 6 items from the mounted scorched3d disk image into the folder. Then you move that folder to your games folder.

Secondly, you need to install X11 on your computer from your OSX 10.4 CD/DVD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:14 pm 
Singed
Not Signed Up For Stats

I've already done all of that. I don't need X11, i have Scorched 40.1.d or whatever. I followed the directions exactly...

Ok new info. I've manually placed the "scorched3d" folder, with everything in it, into the "games" folder, which is inside the "local" folder, which is inside the hidden "usr" folder. Now, i type "cd /usr/local/games/scorched3d," which brings me to the folder. I type in "./scorched3d," and it KEEPS giving me the same message. Here i'll show you exactly what i do in the "shell."

-----
Last login: Sun Dec 3 15:20:05 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
(username):~ (username)$ cd /usr/local/games/scorched3d
(username):/usr/local/games/scorched3d (username)$ ./scorched3d
dyld: ./scorched3d can't open library: /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.1.dylib (No such file or directory, errno = 2)
Trace/BPT trap
(username):/usr/local/games/scorched3d (username)$
-----

So... do i really need X11? Even with the latest version? And if i don't have a 10.4 OS installed, then how do i go about downloading X11? Also is Open Al needed, i'm quite sure i've installed it, practically certain, but i don't know what it's doing if anything.

By the way, sorry if i'm getting on your nerves, you don't know how much this means to me.
hey hey hey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:35 pm 
Charred

From the Finder, click the blue Apple icon - About this Mac- to display the OSX version. Scorched3d works OSX 10.4.x and I believe it also works with OSX 10.3.x.

>>dyld: ./scorched3d can't open library: /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.1.dylib (No such file or directory, errno = 2) <<

Did you see X11 in the error message above - it's looking for X11. I don't know why - but it can't hurt to install it.

After you install it, it should reside in your Utilities folder. Double click on X11, type:
cd /usr/local/games/scorched3d [return]
./scorched3d [return]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:45 pm 
Singed
Not Signed Up For Stats

Ah i've finally got it to work! I had to download "X11" from the Apple website, and i installed it. From there I entered to commands to get to the "scorched3d" folder, and then typed "./scorched3d," and sure enough, it worked! Finally, it was all just getting X11...

Well tons of thanks to everyone who contributed, espeacially fab4, you rock man!
hey hey hey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:06 am 
Charred

Hurray!

Now you'll just need to practice. I suggest playing a few games in offline mode and then try other players on the Scorched3d Beginners server (it's down near the bottom of the list).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:33 am 
Uncooked
Not Signed Up For Stats

Ok so I've reached the point where I have downloaded it But I need help from there. I've tried what you guys said for Leet but I can't get any of it to work.... I'm on a Macbook Pro and this is what the terminal says when I double click the scorched earth file.

"Last login: Tue Dec 5 09:25:04 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
MDHs-MacBook:~ MDH$ /Volumes/Scorched3D-40.1/scorched3d; exit
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.1.dylib
Referenced from: /Volumes/Scorched3D-40.1/scorched3d
Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap
logout
[Process completed]

Thanks for any help...

"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:39 am 
Uncooked
Not Signed Up For Stats

ok, I've put everything in the same file structure as 1337_dude now too. Now I get this:

MDHs-MacBook:/ MDH$ cd
MDHs-MacBook:~ MDH$ cd /
MDHs-MacBook:/ MDH$ cd /user/local/games/schorched3d
-bash: cd: /user/local/games/schorched3d: No such file or directory
MDHs-MacBook:/ MDH$

Please help me!

Thanks you again.

wmdh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:49 am 
Charred

spelling counts - that should be 'scorched3d'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:56 am 
Uncooked
Not Signed Up For Stats

So here is where I'm at now...

WMDH:/users/local/games VES3$ cd /users/local/games
WMDH:/users/local/games VES3$ ./scorched3d
-bash: ./scorched3d: is a directory
WMDH:/users/local/games VES3$ cd /users/local/games/scorched3d
WMDH:/users/local/games/scorched3d VES3$ ./scorched3d
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.1.dylib
Referenced from: /Users/local/games/scorched3d/./scorched3d
Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap
WMDH:/users/local/games/scorched3d VES3$

Also, I've read the thread more carfully and have installed x11 from my tiger disk but still no dice... anyone?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next