Scorched V42 Rumour....

Post subject: Scorched V42 Rumour....
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:44 pm 
Obliterated

Current Scorched3D Rank: 18

I heard from an unreliable source (Pam) that version 42 is just a couple (may have been few) weeks away.
Is there any truth to this and exactly how long do i have to get about 2000 kills plus whatever Vitos gets in that time to win the title of 'most time spent playing' ? ? ?
Scorched3d Live Streams

YouTube

Chopper wrote:
I'm surrounded by all these little peanuts....they all have hatchets....they're chasing me...and then there's this BIG peanut....and he's all purple and green ...he's trying to grab me....AArrYYYHHHGGGGG... [-o<

Post subject: Re: Scorched V42 Rumour....
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:56 pm 
Obliterated

Current Scorched3D Rank: Unranked

PeanutsRevenge wrote:
I heard from an unreliable source (Pam) that version 42 is just a
couple (may have been few) weeks away.
Is there any truth to this and exactly how long do i have to get about
2000 kills plus whatever Vitos gets in that time to win the title of 'most
time spent playing' ? ? ?
Completely untrue.
The current version of V41 will be with us for a long while yet, and you
should only believe a developer about game updates.
Scorched3D Mod-Servers
Forum
Stats
Mods-Page

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:58 pm 
Burned to a crisp

I don't know about true/untrue, but from what I can tell there haven't been any major changes in the code repository that would warrant a bumped major version. Bug fixes mostly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:40 am 
Obliterated

Current Scorched3D Rank: 18

Thought as much, thanks.
Scorched3d Live Streams

YouTube

Chopper wrote:
I'm surrounded by all these little peanuts....they all have hatchets....they're chasing me...and then there's this BIG peanut....and he's all purple and green ...he's trying to grab me....AArrYYYHHHGGGGG... [-o<

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:10 am 
Blistered

I was talking about 41.2, not 42.0 !
41.2 (dk) is what it says if you build from CVS.
Just try it yourself and you'll see.
( you know how to compile from source, , do you, kiddo ?)
Calling me unreliable, out of the blue, is a bit rude, but I'm getting used to insane behavior and unjustified accusations here . .
After all, it's only a game, and we all have our moments, don't we ?
Better let off some steam while your anonymous.
It's much safer than risking a slap in the face, out there in the real world, isn't it ?

BTW,
Deathbal wondered why I wasn't complaining about a thing or two.
Let me just say that some folks here consider themselves much more important than they are . . .
. . and I don't give a FSCK anyway.
I'd have talked to DB further, ( he seems to be a rational person ) but someone banned me for the 2nd time, without any reason. I was just sitting there, shooting at mountains . . . Hold your breath, the same idiot banned a friend of mine because he had a German IP, too. Hey, why not ban anyone from Germany ? Oh, and this bot thingy came from England, so ban the whole UK. Better be save than sorry, eh ?

On the other hand, there are proxys, and everyone might use any name, so why bother ?
I'm just stubborn and refuse to take those steps.
( Did I mention that I host my own games/forum/website with 55.000 members ? Do you REALLY think I'm here for stats ? )
Pam from Germany will always be Pam from Germany, go ahead and ban me, I'll be back in a few minutes.

And while I'm on it:
Apache64, is the suffix of your nick your year of birth ?
If so, do you plan to grow up anytime soon ?
Do you realize that there's a world outside your window ?

Ah well, I guess he doesn't . .

Ok,
I've almost wasted my first post with responses to utter rubbish.
Believe what you want, it's all the same to me.
( No hard feelings, I forgive you all.)

But since we're on the dev forum, I might as well ask a question.
Oki. here it comes . .
I was submerged with Katja and she complained about the weapon effectiveness under water.
Being the U-Boat fan that I am, I made a submarine with Blender, and a torpedo weapon. I've tried do make a map with submerged landscapes but found out that S3D seems to consider a value of 0 as the lowest level. Negative values don't seem to work. So, how do I get the things into the ocean ? And if we get this working, how do we adjust the spline curve for submerged weapons only, without changing the overall gravity ? Is there a way a to get different weapons behavior for each selected vehicle ?
It would be nice if you had to pay for your tank before the game begins. I'm thinking about different weapon loads for each tank. The more weapons a tank can carry, the more expensive it should be. This way, experienced players could choose tanks with a modest weapon load, while newbies have to pay more for the monsters that can carry Funckys DHs and suchlike. It's needless to say that there shouldn't be any money left for shields, and if they miss on their first shot, good players, like my dear friend Laptops Daddy, would kill them sooner than they can say bugger :P

Long story short:
If you look at commercial games, everything I've mentioned is there,and then some . .
Take a flightsim for instance.
Could you imagine a MiG29 carrying the same weapons as an F-16 ?
IMHO the whole S3D concept needs some make-up.

You really read all this ?

Well, thank you for letting me waste your time.
We'll see each other soon, given some lunatic Indian isn't around . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:00 pm 
Burned to a crisp

You'd probably be better off splitting your comment into three or four separate threads. I doubt the devs want to sift through the crap to get to the good stuff.

Pam wrote:
If you look at commercial games, everything I've mentioned is there,and then some . .

Well, that's the difference between a "game" and a "sim". A game is supposed to be fun, a simulation is supposed to be realistic (and often accurate). Take any FPS, for instance: realistically, no person is capable of stuffing, let along carrying, an entire arsenal of weapons in their backpack or pocket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:42 am 
Desintigrated

Location: At my home in Herrlingen, Germany. Recovering from another assassination attempt.
Hi Pam:

In case no one else has beaten me to saying this to you:

WELCOME BACK !

You presented some interesting topics and I hope you don't mind the reply. Oh yeah, before you say, "Oh my! That's a long one!" I'll say, Forget it sister, I hear it all the time. :wink:

Pam wrote:
I was talking about 41.2, not 42.0 !
41.2 (dk) is what it says if you build from CVS.
Just try it yourself and you'll see.
( you know how to compile from source, , do you, kiddo ?)
Calling me unreliable, out of the blue, is a bit rude, but I'm getting used to insane behavior and unjustified accusations here . .
After all, it's only a game, and we all have our moments, don't we ?
Better let off some steam while your anonymous.
It's much safer than risking a slap in the face, out there in the real world, isn't it ?

And while I'm on it:
Apache64, is the suffix of your nick your year of birth ?
If so, do you plan to grow up anytime soon ?
Do you realize that there's a world outside your window ?

Ah well, I guess he doesn't . .

In all fairness to Apache:

His name is taken from the Apache 64D Longbow helicciopter which is considered to be the deadliest helicopter ever invented. Thus, I doubt that he chose the name because the 64 relates to his birthdate. But you might be onto something there.

The Apache 64D helicoptor is named after the Apache tribe native to North America. Before the American genocide campaign got underway, the Apache were considered to be one of the most ruthless and blood thristy of the native tribes. They had no problem with slaughtering the men, women and children of other native tribes or with enslaving those they found useful. They were a very powerful tribe and were willinng to kill anyone that stood in the way of their right to sieze and lay claim to whatever land they saw fitting at the time.

This idea that might makes right, was also held dear by the people that defeated them. Thus, it appears that the Apache is now revered among the warriors of the past and their memory is considered honored with this superbly designed weapon intended for inner-city slaughter. Very fitting name for a player in a war game I'd say, but revered or not, I won't be getting a haircut and a shave at a barber shop named Apache Joe's just to say I did.

Enough twisted history, let's talk Scorched.

Pam wrote:
Ok,
I've almost wasted my first post with responses to utter rubbish.
Believe what you want, it's all the same to me.
( No hard feelings, I forgive you all.)

But since we're on the dev forum, I might as well ask a question.
Oki. here it comes . .
I was submerged with Katja and she complained about the weapon effectiveness under water.
Being the U-Boat fan that I am, I made a submarine with Blender, and a torpedo weapon. I've tried do make a map with submerged landscapes but found out that S3D seems to consider a value of 0 as the lowest level. Negative values don't seem to work. So, how do I get the things into the ocean ? And if we get this working, how do we adjust the spline curve for submerged weapons only, without changing the overall gravity ? Is there a way a to get different weapons behavior for each selected vehicle ?

I have a map with a city sitting just above the water level. After a few shots the entire city is submerged. No problem with the objects, they settle right down to the bedrock. The players just can't move unless they have a teleporting device. This being the case, perhaps you can make an all black height map and make placements directly on the sea bed. About the underwater weapons, the only thing I see diferently is that fire (naplam) type weapons don't work and rightly so. Everything else seems unaffected. Ooops, Diggers, of any type will be uneffective on the bed rock and parachutes won't be requiired.

I can't offer anything on the spline. Having not had much luck with assigning spline or ship movemnets to the boids, I have put these items on the back burner for now. If you can shed some light on these, please do.

Pam wrote:
It would be nice if you had to pay for your tank before the game begins. I'm thinking about different weapon loads for each tank. The more weapons a tank can carry, the more expensive it should be. This way, experienced players could choose tanks with a modest weapon load, while newbies have to pay more for the monsters that can carry Funckys DHs and suchlike. It's needless to say that there shouldn't be any money left for shields, and if they miss on their first shot, good players, like my dear friend Laptops Daddy, would kill them sooner than they can say bugger :P

Long story short:
IMHO the whole S3D concept needs some make-up.

Very interesting idea about the tank types and I tend to agree that this idea might be worth kicking around. The first thing that sprang to mind was defensive tanks -vs- offensive tanks but the possibilities are wide ranging. For your submarine, you'd need a special fuel type that could be used underwater but wasn't available to the land based tank types. Nuclear fuel pellets last a long time so maybe they could be supplied at tank purchase time in an amount ample to last the entire game. This idea might limit your tank to water based movement only. The threat of a dealyed and unpredicitable reactor meltdown might be included that can't be prevented, even if only slightly damaged. Teleporters might become dangerous if there were maps with available land. :wink: I could go on and on ... but I won't. It's nice to see posts like this though. Thanks for giving my brain some excercise.

For your topedo type weapons, it may be possible to shoot a straight line shot using a very low power level while using weapon thrust to provide it with the propulsion required to slowly advance it to the target. You might be able to ensure that no one can break the surface with a torpedo by not activating the thrust unless the firing angle is close to horizontal or simply resetting the vertical angle as you desire before firing the weapon.

If you wanted missiles that work like a Polarisis (straight up a few clicks before going towards the target) I beleive it is possible to do that as well.

Pam wrote:
You really read all this ?

Well, thank you for letting me waste your time.
We'll see each other soon, given some lunatic Indian isn't around . .

Yes, in fact, I read ever word of every post but, I don't have a life. With that caveat in mind, I didn't consider your post a waste of time and wish you well in getting some conversation going on the ideas you've presented.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, this is my second time making this reply. Is there any way to make the BBS alert the user that their log in has expired before they attempt to send a post? This is the second time in two days that I've had an extensive post fall into the bit bucket when I hit the send key. I do this quite often and generally my first post was the better of the two and if it helps someone look into this, my first post is usually the shorter of the two as well. :P

Best wishes to all,

Rommel
Nothing gives one person so much advantage over another as to remain
always cool and unruffled under all circumstances. - Thomas Jefferson

You can discover more about a person in an hour of play
than in a year of conversation. - Plato