New Server Setup

Post subject: New Server Setup
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:36 am 
Charred

Current Scorched3D Rank: Unranked

Ok so I have installed the server, opened the ports, did the port forwarding, that was all easy.

Now I installed MySql, configured things all following to the Wiki, which is about ok and with a bit of prodding and toying, it's up and running, however I have an issue.

If I use AutoDetect for the Published IP, the server starts to load before crapping out.

If I put the actual IP (from My cablemodem) the server starts up, but once I join the game (through LAN since the play machine and server are one and the same) I enter the password I set, then I am presented again with the default Scorched 3D menu (play local, play online etc) yet the server log shows I am actually logged in.

If I try the same but instead of using LAN I try to connect to my server through internet, it basically times out. The server log doesn't even see a session coming in.

If I put my LOCAL IP (192.168.whatever) then I can play through LAN, works nicely and all but completely impractical for external people.

What is it I have got wrong? I have a feeling it must be some minuscule param I omitted or that's missing?

Thanks
The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.

Post subject: Re: New Server Setup
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:24 am 
Obliterated

| Hayt | wrote:
Ok so I have installed the server, opened the ports, did the port forwarding, that was all easy.

Now I installed MySql, configured things all following to the Wiki, which is about ok and with a
bit of prodding and toying, it's up and running, however I have an issue.

If I use AutoDetect for the Published IP, the server starts to load before crapping out.

If I put the actual IP (from My cablemodem) the server starts up, but once I join the game
(through LAN since the play machine and server are one and the same) I enter the password I
set, then I am presented again with the default Scorched 3D menu (play local, play online etc)
yet the server log shows I am actually logged in.

If I try the same but instead of using LAN I try to connect to my server through internet, it
basically times out. The server log doesn't even see a session coming in.

If I put my LOCAL IP (192.168.whatever) then I can play through LAN, works nicely and all but
completely impractical for external people.

What is it I have got wrong? I have a feeling it must be some minuscule param I omitted or
that's missing?

Thanks

Well, for a start, attempt to get the server running without sql stat logging.

It's always best to start as simple as possible, get it running, then add features one
at a time. Then you'll know when it starts crapping out and why.

There could be many reasons for it blocking you or crashing; whether it be firewalls,
routers, xml settings, or even your ISP plugging ports without your knowledge.

Goto your C:\Documents and Settings\<yourname>\.scorched3d folder and locate the
file 'server.xml'. The current attempt is saved here, and can be examined manually.
Send me a copy of that server.xml file if you like, and i'll see what you've been trying.
Scorched3D Mod-Servers
Forum
Stats
Mods-Page

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:19 pm 
Obliterated

Current Scorched3D Rank: 12

So, just pay for us all to fly up and play on you LAN.
Ofcourse it wouldn't be practical for some of us to bring our PCs on the plane (far too delicate for baggage handlers to be trusted), so you'll need to supply PCs aswell.
Scorched3d Live Streams

YouTube

Chopper wrote:
I'm surrounded by all these little peanuts....they all have hatchets....they're chasing me...and then there's this BIG peanut....and he's all purple and green ...he's trying to grab me....AArrYYYHHHGGGGG... [-o<

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:09 pm 
Charred

Thrax wrote:
| Hayt | wrote:

Now I installed MySql, configured things all following to the Wiki, which is about ok and with a
bit of prodding and toying, it's up and running, however I have an issue.

If I put the actual IP (from My cablemodem) the server starts up, but once I join the game
(through LAN since the play machine and server are one and the same) I enter the password I
set, then I am presented again with the default Scorched 3D menu (play local, play online etc)
yet the server log shows I am actually logged in.

If I try the same but instead of using LAN I try to connect to my server through internet, it
basically times out. The server log doesn't even see a session coming in.

If I put my LOCAL IP (192.168.whatever) then I can play through LAN, works nicely and all but
completely impractical for external people.

What is it I have got wrong? I have a feeling it must be some minuscule param I omitted or
that's missing?

Thanks

Well, for a start, attempt to get the server running without sql stat logging.

It's always best to start as simple as possible, get it running, then add features one
at a time. Then you'll know when it starts crapping out and why.

There could be many reasons for it blocking you or crashing; whether it be firewalls,
routers, xml settings, or even your ISP plugging ports without your knowledge.

Goto your C:\Documents and Settings\<yourname>\.scorched3d folder and locate the
file 'server.xml'. The current attempt is saved here, and can be examined manually.
Send me a copy of that server.xml file if you like, and i'll see what you've been trying.

Hi thrax, it works fine without the mysql logging, it just runs saving the results as a file or sending to null (and logs the usual "Created null stats logger."), it's when I put in the MySQL portion that things get more interesting.

I just gave it a shot with stats disabled, and it registered properly, saw it appear in the list of servers here on scorched3d.co.uk. It wouldn't register to sourceforge, so I just fudged it using hosts to point to scorched3d.co.uk instead. ok PM incoming with server.xml

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:06 pm 
Charred

PeanutsRevenge wrote:
So, just pay for us all to fly up and play on you LAN.
Ofcourse it wouldn't be practical for some of us to bring our PCs on the plane (far too delicate for baggage handlers to be trusted), so you'll need to supply PCs aswell.

I will be sure to find the most fitting airline then, I hear Goosnargh-Air has discount prices ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:07 pm 
Charred

Thanks Thrax for helping me through the steps (and weird missteps), all is set up and runs just fine!

Thanks again :) =D>