What am I missing?

Post subject: What am I missing?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:02 am 
Obliterated

Current Scorched3D Rank: 44

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Google ... M_comments

Pretty much all the comments on this are: "Google are invading my privacy", "Google deserves a class-action suit for this" etc...

I think the idea is a bit crap, they know full well that MOST people have no idea what an SSID is, what their SSID is or how to change it, but I really don't see the need TO opt out.

I think it's a great idea mapping where SSIDs are, when GPS isn't working, navigation systems can fall-back on SSIDs and/or use them for a quick locate while waiting for the GPS timing signals.

All they're doing is mapping an SSID and MAC address, nothing that anyone else doesn't get walking past your house with their phone scanning for networks. In fact it's better, Google aren't gonna start trying to hack into your network.

Please, someone explain to me what all the fuss is about Google mapping SSIDs in a clear and sensible way, unlike the idiots on Toms who just ranted that it's illegal and a breach of human rights and that they're kids are gonna die early, painful deaths because of big bad Google.
Scorched3d Live Streams

YouTube

Cowbell wrote:
Dishonorable mention:
Peanus Revenge: Do we really have to explain this one?

Post subject: Re: What am I missing?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:42 am 
Charred

Current Scorched3D Rank: Unranked

I realize it's not the same thing at all, but people seem to always scream PRIVACY INVASION at any change in tech... It's 2000 all over again

Intel Nixes Chip-Tracking ID
http://www.wired.com/politics/law/news/2000/04/35950
The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:57 am 
Obliterated

| Hayt | wrote:
I realize it's not the same thing at all, but people seem to always scream PRIVACY INVASION at any change in tech... It's 2000 all over again

Intel Nixes Chip-Tracking ID
http://www.wired.com/politics/law/news/2000/04/35950

WoW, fair play digging that up..
1.5Ghz Willamette... OMFG, you're making me feel old and you're even older :D

That was about the time I started getting to know chips by their engineering name, rather than the retail name.
Please don't ask me to go through the ones I remember tho, It'll be bugging me about the odd one or two to the point I'd have to cheat and start wiki'ing em.
Scorched3d Live Streams

YouTube

Cowbell wrote:
Dishonorable mention:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:58 pm 
Reduced to ashes

Current Scorched3D Rank: 28

Why on God's green earth would you want to track a friggin' PNut?
Didn't even know you could put a chip in one. :lol:
“You are never too old to become younger!” - Mae West 1893~1980

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:22 am 
Obliterated

Chopper wrote:
Why on God's green earth would you want to track a friggin' PNut?
Didn't even know you could put a chip in one. :lol:

Hey old friend, how ya doing these days?
Still old and falling apart or old and getting put back together again?

I'm sure I heard something about an egg like that, are you an egg chopper, if so, I don't think you should be throwing hammers.

I'm sure I heard a story about people throwing things when in a situation wher such actions wouldn't be advisable!
Scorched3d Live Streams

YouTube

Cowbell wrote:
Dishonorable mention:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:40 am 
Obliterated

If some creepy people-watching group turned up in your street wearing thick glasses and dirty trousers, and started photographing your house, car and garden in every detail, then scanning your wi-fi for vulnerabilities and making notes, would you be cool with it? I wouldn't. I'd probably confront them.

What if that same group collected that information from everyone in your street and posted it on a website? Quite a security risk, I'd say, and quite an invasion of privacy. I'd expect a few lawsuits and the website to be forced offline, compensation paid to the victims.

Imagine it wasn't just your road, but every house, flat and shack in the city. And not just close-ups of your front door, driveway and family pet, but aerial photographs to go with it, showing everything from your compost heap to the dodgy latch on the garden gate. Would you be happy about that?

What if they didn't just post it on the internet, but actively promoted it with a plan to charge you and anyone else willing to pay for those stolen details. They do it to everyone, they're too powerful to fight, so I guess it's OK?

What if they've taken every pic and piece of information you've ever posted on the internet, and stored it for others to see and use as they please. Creepy, I say. What if they've built up a huge video sharing site from all your best camcorder footage and rip-offs from every bit of music, art or TV ever made? That's OK, it belongs to the people. It's our stuff, but what if they started cashing in and selling the lot to advertising companies, so you can't play back footage of that musical festival without being forced to watch a 60 second washing powder ad?

Google should be sued into the ground and forced to pay compensation to every 'man and child violated to date, before we even start on SSID's.

What's the alternative point of view? Robbers and thieves make our cities safer - they expose our weaknesses and force us to raise our game when it comes to privacy and protecting our rights to protect what's ours.

What am I missing? They should be burned with fire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU9XhlbESUI

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:51 am 
Obliterated

I bet you have a problem with money too and want to go back to the good ole days, where you'd do something for someone, like make a web site and in return they'd give you a cow so you could eat?

Oh yea, that system wasn't very flexible, so I bet you'd like to be given something as an IOU you a cow, you owe him a website
Oh yea, it's called MONEY ( you kow where I'm going with it, for others... it's a southpark episode about idiot hippies).

I love Google Streetview, I use it regularly, usually when I have an appointment to fix someones computer, I use it to see where in the road the house I'm gonna go to is so I don't drive right past it, or have to crawl along the road annoying all the other traffic or get off at the wrong bus stop (when the car's off the road like today).

I also like that my phone can find where it is in the world really quickly when I just missed a GPS timing signal, GPS is out of reach (like indoors or between tall buildings) and that people without GPS on their phone (or want to keep it turned off because it eats their battery) can geotag things, or use a crude sat nav.

I bet you'd love house hunting when, in your world there are no pictures of the houses up for sale, because everyone's too paranoid to have pictures taken of their house (yes, the estate agents keep pictures too, they ever put them up all over the front of their shops and on their websites, they even post them in newspapers and on OTHER websites :o ).

Have you ANY BLOODY IDEA how much bandwidth Google go through with YouTube, streaming all that video @ high quality to the world? Yes, I'm sure you do, but clearly, you expect them to lose Billions of pounds a year on hosting equipment and bandwidth so you have free access to everyones video!

That was attempt by the guys that setup youtube, oh and the were losing silly money.

Noone has to sit and watch 60 second ads before they can watch their own video, they HAVE THE VIDEO THEMSELVES to watch, if they wanna watch it on youtube, well, that service has to be paid for and Google do their best to not have to directly charge their customers to use their services. Some do have to pay, some choose to pay, most, don't have to pay, they instead chose to watch adverts, which Google filter so as to show ads that the person might have some interest in, instead of completely crap they couldn't give two hoots about. That's why they collect data on people, data which people AGREE to share.

And Google don't post all the information they find on the internet, the SSID/WiFi maps are no published on the internet and even if they were, SO WHAT?
All they're getting is the name of peoples WiFi, which they're broadcasting to the world, on public airwaves on public property, there's no identifying information there of who it belongs to, unless they're stupid enoguh to call their WiFi: Bob_Monkhouse@1_here_road_key_12345
In which case... they're an idiot and probably leave their front door unlocked with a sign about the house saying "free open access house, come rob me".

I knew you'd have a problem with my OP, you're such an anti Google, paranoid, hippie fool!
Scorched3d Live Streams

YouTube

Cowbell wrote:
Dishonorable mention:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:16 am 
Obliterated

Oh and another thing.

What about the content providers on youtube, are they meant to work for free too, because if they did, then they'd end up on benefits (which we pay for) or not be able to put out as much content.

And I'm talking about the actualy people that post videos lots of others like to see, with ~10,000, ~100,000, ~1million subscribers.

Yes, those people get money too and (I believe, although I've not bothered to check), they can choose whether to have skippable ads, unskippable ads, for their videos.
That allows them to post videos as their job and I am FINE with watching ads to get the content, it's far better than that dead technology called television, which Billions of pay PAY to recieve AND have to watch adverts (dumb? yes!).
Scorched3d Live Streams

YouTube

Cowbell wrote:
Dishonorable mention:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:24 pm 
Obliterated

Quote:
I am FINE with watching ads to get the content, it's far better than that dead technology called television, which Billions of pay PAY to recieve AND have to watch adverts (dumb? yes!)

yeah well, youre not on the internet the way most people know it, peanut : ). you probably go and make tea anyway, while you wait for the stream to buffer. ads are annoying when youre used to 'instant', especially when you find that 90% of it's crap by the time youve sat through the nonsense. im about ready to ditch youtube.

it's not their content to sell (neither is it the uploader's in most cases). itd be different if it was actually their stuff.

google make plenty as a business directory. the reason they make so much, is that they have a monopoly. youtube reinforces that monopoly. it's a predatory business strategy. by absorbing youtube's losses and keeping the site relatively high quality and usable, they (google) have created a barrier to entry for other video sharing sites.

peanut wrote:
In which case... they're an idiot and probably leave their front door unlocked with a sign about the house saying "free open access house, come rob me".

laptop wrote:
they expose our weaknesses and force us to raise our game when it comes to privacy and protecting our rights to protect what's ours.

^ satire. i didnt mean it

SSID's are often in a form identifying the router - hence any vulnerabiltiies in the default config. i suppose listing them is no huge crime. it should definitely be opt in, not opt out.

ps:
dont get me started on 'money'

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:51 pm 
Obliterated

While I was reading the article, I thought opt-in would be better than opt-out, however 90%+ of people won't even know about the fact their WiFi is being mapped, let alone how to opt-in OR out.
IMO, no harm at all is being done with SSIDs (or MAC addresses (so long as the router manufacters keep secure which MAC address has what default SSID and encryption key)) being mapped, even if they were published with their location, it's completely useless information that anyone can get anyway if they so desire.

If routers hadn't been pre-configred with encryption enabled by default for a few years, then I would have a different opinion, however, they are secured and people need to actually go and disable the encryption (or have someone do it / do it for them).

As for the YouTube thing, I'm of a similar opinion with the 'illegal' (in this country) posting of video clips from TV shows / films etc as I am with torrents.

I have watched many clips from TV shows that I like (Monty Python is a prime example), for the odd clip, there's no way I'd go and by the DVD / Boxset for a clip or two and there's no way (as far as I know) currently to pay a tiny fee for one or two scenes.

When I started on the Monty Python clip watching spree a couple of years back on YouTube (when I had decent internet), it reminded me how much I enjoyed the show and how much my old man did. So I bought him the box set for a christmas (or birthday) present.
From those clips being available, a purchase was made, which otherwise probably would not have been made.

Most of the videos ' I ' watch on YouTube lately have been true to the Google License, it's peoples videos they have made and have chosen to share them, whether it be kids falling off their bikes, tech reviews, gaming videos (not sure on the licensing for that), video blogs, cats fighting with printers ......

Google do far too GOOD a job in removing reported videos for breaking terms of service agreement license stuff, many of my favorites / playlists don't work anymore as the videos have been removed (but I can usually search again and find another upload :D)

The next thing you'll likely say is about Google images and the like.

My arguement against you there, which I've stated before, is that those images were browsable and downloadable by people anyway, if you're gonna put stuff unprotected on the net, it's gonna be used.
At least they often link to the site the image has come from now, so the recognition is there and the sites can use that to their advantage to show off some other content which requires a registration/purchase to get the unwatermarked versions.

There's this file called robots.txt .. . . . . . . . . . . . . :P
Scorched3d Live Streams

YouTube

Cowbell wrote:
Dishonorable mention:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:46 pm 
Obliterated

if youre gonna leave your bike in your garden, you should expect it to get stolen.

(that's almost a plan)

Quote:
if you're gonna put stuff unprotected on the net, it's gonna be used.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:06 am 
Reduced to ashes

Current Scorched3D Rank: 28

Quote:
Hey old friend, how ya doing these days?
Still old and falling apart or old and getting put back together again?....

I'm better PNut Thanks for your thoughts and good wishes.
Wouldn't you know it.....brushing my teeth this morning and a freakin' crown came loose. Had to go to dentisit and get it glued back in.
I'm just falling apart.

GETTIN' OLD SUCKS! #-o
“You are never too old to become younger!” - Mae West 1893~1980