Forum rules

Before adding a bug or feature request please check it is not already in the bug tracker or answered in the FAQ.

More screen resolutions?

Post subject: More screen resolutions?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:02 am 
Charred

Current Scorched3D Rank: Unranked

New widescreen laptops come with max display resolutions available some of which dont have a standard aspect ratio. But running this game with maximum resolution even if its supported is not what any hardware can perform nicely.

Would be nice to see some resolutions with aspect ratio like those non-standard making it possible to run game full screen with max perfomance on such displays, fitting the screen area.

Post subject: Re: More screen resolutions?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:17 pm 
Obliterated

Current Scorched3D Rank: 16

Then instead of trying to get every bit of software to adapt to stupid OEMs that produce non standard equipment, how about putting pressure on the OEMs to stick with the damn standards and stop being a bunch of idiots???
Scorched3d Live Streams

YouTube

Chopper wrote:
I'm surrounded by all these little peanuts....they all have hatchets....they're chasing me...and then there's this BIG peanut....and he's all purple and green ...he's trying to grab me....AArrYYYHHHGGGGG... [-o<

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:27 pm 
Obliterated

i think the resolutions available in game options are those presented to the game by the x server. i.e. the list will vary according to how you have your system set up.

i read in your other post that youre in linux, now, x. you should find a file named xorg.conf in /etc/X11. it should be possible to add more monitor supported display modes to this file.

dont quote me, but I think once you have these options selectable for your desktop, they should be available in scorched.

nice to see youre around again, btw. this thread might help: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5458 have a look into 'mode lines' and similar.

ps: i didnt bother replying to your other display settings post. but since im here, if youre new to linux - make sure youre familiar with the differences between root and your normal user account, user privileges, and with how 'home' relates to the user youre logged in as.

xtc wrote:
Would be nice to see some resolutions with aspect ratio like those non-standard making it possible to run game full screen with max perfomance on such displays, fitting the screen area.

pps: a widescreen scorched option would be nice. ive thought that myself. doesnt really relate to resolution in the context. i dont want to confuse the issue. im sure mr c will know what im talkin bout. aspect ratio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:59 am 
Charred

Looking at my yesterday's post now I can say I don’t understand it too :shock:

All I wanted to say is: for example, resolution 1280x800 is supported, but it can be not fast enough. Then 960x600 or 800x500 would be the one to fit such screen properly with comfortable graphics performance (1280:800=960:600=800:500=1.6 and by the way the same is for WSXGA+ 1680x1050 resolution).

Thanks for welcome laptop. I don’t feel much like scorched yet, however wanted to get a bit of game yesterday but server was empty :\

(other thread: now I guess I got that trouble because was installing scorched as a root what I shouldn’t be doing…)

About xorg.conf: so you suggest if I add there that 960x600 for example and then edit display.xml also I may get able to run game this way and looking nice? I just thought it is something on game’s part because for example windows version has only limited set of screen resolutions I can choose from.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:08 am 
Obliterated

I think I understood. I dont think aspect ratio is the problem. Lots of wide screen monitors support full screen 4:3 resolutions. I think they call it interpolation. I guess its possible an exact multiple *edit: division of your native res will give a better quality image, but aspect ratio in itself shouldnt be much of a restriction in stretching the game to full screen wide screen dimensions.

Hope that makes sense. образование на английском языке, возможно, не поможет (< google translator. apologies in advance if ive accidentally questioned your heritage)

You need to establish exactly which display modes your display supports. Also, check out the option 'MoreRes' in display.xml.

In windows, its possible to unlock additional display modes through a registry edit, or by downloading a tool like powerstrip.

Ps:
Im guessing youve tested in the 4:3 resolutions available and have experienced 'panning'

Last edited by Laptops Daddy on Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:53 am 
Burned to a crisp

Aspect ratio of the chosen resolutions must be equal to the aspect ratio of the monitor. Otherwise squares and circles on the screen will not have proper shape. (a circle will look like an ellipse).

For example as pizza said if we have 1.6(wide monitor) we must choose resolutions which have ratio 1.6 too: 1280:800 960:600 800:500, but not 800x600 which is 4/3.

It is not a big deal (or mistake) to set wrong resolutions. The monitor can stretch the game to full screen wide, or leave blank/black strips on the side.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:31 am 
Obliterated

naka wrote:
...Otherwise squares and circles on the screen will not have proper shape. (a circle will look like an ellipse).

yes. thats where a 'wide screen option' would come in, as compensation for the distortion.

digression. i agree, a wide screen resolution is the way to go if we can manage it. any idea of the best way to establish supported refresh rates and pixel clock for a notebook display, nak?

http://xtiming.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/xtiming.pl
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_d ... ation_data

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:37 am 
Charred

The point is, resolutions 960x600 and 800x500 are not supported currently. I just “invented” them e.g.

Among offered by game I found one pretty close, 800x480, I can have full detail level and perfect smoothness with it, but its not proportional. It wouldn’t matter for any other kind of game, but for the scorched! Eye-estimate of distance is different depending on orientation of things, vertically or horizontally.

I feel much like politician - provoked the discussion by the lack of clarity. Nothing can help here, only election. The sooner the better. He he.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:20 pm 
Obliterated

so you have been able to play full screen in lower resolutions. maybe i didnt understand properly after all.

let me test a mode line or two on a computer i have here. (matter of interest). its not a laptop, but it might help.

edit:
ok, i just added this modeline to my xorg.conf:

Modeline "960x600@75" 59.09 960 992 1216 1248 600 611 619 631

worked fine. resolution was selectable in scorched settings, it ran full screen and the aspect ratio was cool. thats on a 22" wide screen lcd. i used the link i posted above to calculate the modeline.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:05 pm 
Burned to a crisp

Quote:
i agree, a wide screen resolution is the way to go if we can manage it. any idea of the best way to establish supported refresh rates and pixel clock for a notebook display, nak?

Anything is possible in X. even making non standard resolutions like 801x605 at any refresh rate desired. I've done that before by hand calculation. But i don't know how scorched get the list of available resolutions.
there is also a program 'xvidtune' (i think it is availabl in every distro) that may help fine tunning the mode line.

If it is possible to write a line in X for 960x600 will it be listed by scorched?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:57 pm 
Burned to a crisp

According to DisplayFrame::refreshResolutions in src/wxdialogs/DisplayDialog.cpp, the game uses SDL to query for available modes (which in turn queries the system) and adds a bunch of hard-coded modes when "more resolutions" is selected (those are fairly standard, such as 800x600 and 1024x768).

Needless to say that apart from changing the game or xorg.conf, you can also just edit display.xml and change the ScreenWidth and ScreenHeight settings to whatever values you're interested in.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:10 pm 
Obliterated

parasti wrote:
Needless to say that apart from changing the game or xorg.conf, you can also just edit display.xml and change the ScreenWidth and ScreenHeight settings to whatever values you're interested in.

that wont stretch it to full screen from my experience. if the resolution selected in display.xml doesnt match an available mode, you end up with a black border.

Naka wrote:
If it is possible to write a line in X for 960x600 will it be listed by scorched?

yes, as para says, looks like it will. something i would suggest is testing the new resolution on the desktop first. that way youll get the old 'do you want to keep these settings' message, and itll revert after so many seconds if its out of range for the monitor.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:15 am 
Charred

After I created and added a modeline to "modes" section (which was empty before), x simply didnt start next reboot...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:07 am 
Obliterated

yes. add it to the monitor section. im pretty sure x treats anything listed in 'modes' as an all-inclusive list of modes to make available.

modelines need to be tailored to the particular specs of your monitor/display. may not be easy to find for a notebook.

i dont want to encourage you to take risks. ive heard people say 'out of range' settings can damage monitors. (not sure if that still applies in this lcd era). i do think youre on the right track.

maybe you could corner a linux buff? (thats not me. im just a dabbler : ) get some more expert advice?

pm me if youre at a loss. i may be able to help a bit.

xtc wrote:
After I created and added a modeline to "modes" section (which was empty before), x simply didnt start next reboot...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:26 am 
Charred

Well, after reading lots of stuff I could find, where people ask and answer about the subject, I assume it was not something done wrong just my video card driver is probably not capable of creating such modes… :\