This topic contains 73 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  BOY 12 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

comedown
    Participant

@boy wrote:

comdown:

my PM will be sent as soon as I can think of the second step HE HE 😕
    as to reducing interest being unfair. I want you to examine your arguments carefully:

the same applies for money management skills, if you change something that one group of people (the money grabbers) are used to, without altering anything another group (the pennyless sharpshooters) are used to, then you have unfairly sabotaged the game for the first group.

have you even considered that reducing interest makes it harder for EVERYONE? second, do you think that all sharpshooters are pennyless? there is a third group that does both, you know. your comments are sort of self absorbed, no offense

i consider myself part of that third group, i don’t have a bad kill ratio 🙂

but you’ve just inadvertantly made a point for me, it would affect both regular money hoarders and money hoarding sharpshooters, leaving the pennyless sharpshooters unaffected.

so now two groups are being sabotaged, leaving one group at an advantage. 😛

@boy wrote:

changing our beloved interest rates, would be exactly the same as off-setting everyone elses treasured aim.

its when you use terms like beloved, that i get very worried 😉 Are you saying you dont count aim as personally important?

no, by comparing the two, i’m saying the exact opposite.

i believe both aspects of the game are important, and feel that just because some people can’t grasp the concept of saving, is no reason for the rest of us to be denied the use of the tactic.

@boy wrote:

i just think you’re being a little unfair.

reducing interest is not unfair to the money hoarders ( i do it too) IT IS INHERENTLY FAIR. It can only be unfair if you also say that it is unfair that one person shoots better than another, see?

to be honest, i don’t see.

it seems the whole reason money is going to be restricted in the tournament is because some people think it is unfair that one person saves better than another.

@boy wrote:

Relying on money should be considered a tactic, to be accurate, not really a skill in and off itself. Shooting is a SKILL pure and simple. I think that reducing interest would actually make money management MORE of a skill. Right now, sitting on money is considered a skill??? really ?

well, in order to employ the tactic, you must first possess the skill to do so.

granted, it’s extremely easy to learn, but still a skill none-the-less.

and, lowering the interest rates would be ok for a new non-tournament server which was going to be open for play 24/7, but to simply spring the new lower interest rates on people at the beginning of a tournament without giving them time to adapt beforehand, and expect them to play as well as usual, just wouldn’t work.

it wouldn’t affect the players who are used to having very little cash to work with, but could throw off the whole game for people who aren’t accustomed to being broke.

i’m really not trying to argue here, just make a point.

a point which doesn’t seem to be getting across. 😕

bruce
    Participant

TIME TO CAUSE SUM HAVOC AND SPAM*sits back,cracks Knuckles…starts spinning in circles* WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP 😈 😈 😈

BOY
    Participant

I am not trying to argue either, but we have been none the less. 😮 i am enjoying this conversation alot though. 😀 Hang in there, we will work it out.

I also did not mean that you were not a good shooter, but the way you worded it, it sure sounded like you did not value your kill raitio.

Your main error is your assumption that some people will not be affected by a change in money settings. I am not sure why you keep asserting this. Maybe it does make sense, but only like this: If I LIKE cheap deaths heads and the price goes up, UNFAIR. IF I prefer to kill with funkybombs in one shot rather than a digger and roller and Funkys are removed — UNFAIR. If i LIKE to save my money and make it by interest rather than make it on lots of kills and the interest goes down –UNFAIR.

you see anything is unfair when you dont like it, if you want to argue it that way. this is your arguement, and it is totally subjective to your point of view. I think you are missing the objective points that I am making.
    @comedown wrote:

BOY wrote:
    Quote:
    i just think you’re being a little unfair.

reducing interest is not unfair to the money hoarders ( i do it too) IT IS INHERENTLY FAIR. It can only be unfair if you also say that it is unfair that one person shoots better than another, see?

to be honest, i don’t see.

then allow me to explain it in detail

your arguments ulitmately say: it is unfair that the better shooter has an advantage over a poor shooter. that is the only other way to see it. I cannot make anything unfair if I change a rule that affects all of us. If it affects YOU more than the others. ITS YOUR FAULT.

Now, I would counter with this, If I was gonna be subjective… I shoot better than player A but we both know how to make money but I dont have any advantage over him because my shooting skills dont help me since both of us can use a Funky Bomb equally well. Please tell me you understand this. you see, the money and the funky are the same thing!! they are the same arguement. If you REALLY do have money skills, then they will then actually and truly show! nothing will take it away unless you are using your money exclusively to buy DH and FUNKY BOMBS, and you dont know how to do anything else.

your other error is in how you classify players. who are the pennyless sharpshooters? Can someone point me to one? anyone that prefers to play without cash speak up. I dont beleive that this group really exists…… The third group is the group that does neither (shoot or save), the noobs group. NONE of the sharpshooters would be in the pennyless group I dont think. If you can shoot you can make money.

poolee
    Participant

Ok, 2 things:

1) DireWolf brought up the idea for a tournament so that he could film the final to get the “best of bread” for a new video – getting all the most skilled players together was the main aim.

2) Skill should be based exclusively on how the game is played at the moment of the current Scorched Free For All server because that’s the sort of carnage and mayhem that makes for great video shoots!!

3) (I know, I only said 2 ) If we want a “skill” test, then yes, MO’s Missile Range is the best candidate. Anyone with $100K can dominate the game with Funkies and DH’s – yes, this take some skill but is hardly a true measure. On the other hand, accuracy and fore-thought would be the measure of true skill on the Missile Range. (The fore-thought is based on the concept of knowing who to shoot first, who’s going to shoot at you, and who’s going to shoot at others – arguably, onecould say you wouldn’t know this if you haven’t played with certain players before, but terrain and wind often dictate who’re going to be the best choice).

So, first we should decide whether to continue debate rules for a tournament that is far from the real-life game, or agree that it should be based on the current setup here and just get on with organising where and when!

Thanks for listening…

Poolee

Ok, gonna quote myself here, as is all running around in circles…

We are talking (initially) about having a tournamend to “Find the top 10 players” to “Fight to the death” all for DireWolf to film, as he wated to get a great movie with just the best players in it – guaranteed action!!

AM I RIGHT SO FAR?

All that’s generally been agreed so far is that we want a tournament… 🙄

What’s been disagreed is how to make a level playing field so that no particular group are advantaged or disadvantaged. Well, I have a possible solution to determine who the top ten skilled players are, but I don’t think anyone’s going to like it… 🙁

But here goes:

1) (The ugly part)… The 10(?) games leading up to the final are used to determine the best players – that much should be undisputable. This should consist of games based on MO’s Missile Range, where every player has infinite baby missiles (perhaps missiles instead?), and each round they can buy chutes and batts. Starting money is $15K, enough to buy one lot of chutes and one lot of batts at prices we are accustomed to on the Scorched server. Kill money and interest should be unchanged. Wins (then Kills) should determine the winners – as is on the Scorched server.

2) At the end of the game, points are awarded “similarly” to the Formula 1 championship (and Rally champs and a host of other types of champs…) where the person in position 1 gets XX points, number 2 gets two thirds of XX, number 3 gets two thirds of the previous position etc. At the end of the game, points are awarded based on their position on the table – Scorched positions people based initially on wins, then on kills, and if 2 people have the same wins/kills, then those with more money go ahead of the other.

3) At the end of all the games, there will be a clear Top 10 on the Leader Board. Those 10 players then go through to the final to play NORMAL scorched, which DireWolf films knowing he has the creme-de-la-creme of scorched players nailing each other with high-speed DH’s and low speed rollers and shields failing left, right and centre in the most skilled carnage Scorched has ever known.

Remember, this initial tournament is a means to an end for DireWolf

So, that’s all my thoughts… to me, this seems the fairest… let me know YOUR thoughts 🙂

Poolee

bruce
    Participant

blah blah blah blahhhhhh!!!!ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ 🙄
    shakin like a dog shittin razor blades..

DireWolf
    Participant

Actually Poolee, Yes I do want to film this, but this is not the main concern, I just know that we have some really cool peeps here at Scorched 3D, A community of gamers, without each other, all we would have is a single player game, “God forbid!!!”
    This is for the comunity as a whole!!! not just so I can film, This video is only to document the Tournament, no frills, please dont think this is all about me cuz it is not, I am just a small part, and dont forget our true hero in all this….
    Gavin, without him, we wouldnt be here!
    so lets make him proud of the game and community that he has created, all of us are 1, like the Borg, we have been assimilated into the world of Scorched 3D

suggestion: I think Boy, Miro and Poolee, you should consider getting MSN Messenger or something like it, so you all can get out your thoughts in real time, it might help get things rolling a lil faster, and help keep the negative aspect of agreement out of the forums, The more dissention people see about the tournament,the more it will cause people to become disinterested!

gots to work now, good luck!

BOY
    Participant

At this point the ideas are rolling. I like poolee’s idea so much I am salivating! Poolee, in case you did not read my PM…you answered it. 8)
    I especially love the sports connection! BTW Dont pay no mind if people complain about your idea…..The winner would be undisputable the best!!!! From here it is me, you, miro and DW.

my 2 cents…
    lemme see if this sounds good.

Qualifying matches:
    One full game of 10 ppl for as many inviteds as want to play…..
    1. all players start with 10K or 15K…..
    2. There is no interest.
    3. money awarded by health taken
    4. 100% kills worth 1K or 2K….
    5. Only missiles, parachutes, and batteries are allowed (regular prices)
    6. always wrap walls (to prevent unreachable situations)
    7. honor a no truce rule
    8. confirm resigning allowed or not (hopefully not)
    9. game winners based on wins then kills (points TBD)

FINAL MATCH:
    1 CHANGE – BUYING BEGINS AT ROUND 1

We are not doing bad at all for governemtn work…..Next meeting we will vote on how much to raise our own salaries. 😉

PM Me if you want my msn messenger contact.,…

Saddistic Fungus
    Participant

I RATHER PLAY WITH MINIMUL INTEREST AND MONEY FOR KILLS SO HAAAAAHAHAHAH!

comedown
    Participant

BOY, to name a couple of good players who don’t often have a lot of money, you can take Kraft and Acy for example.

and i’m not complaining about the exclusion of death heads or funkies at all, i already said that earlier. 😉

DireWolf
    Participant

]X:DX[

BOY
    Participant

@comedown wrote:

BOY, to name a couple of good players who don’t often have a lot of money, you can take Kraft and Acy for example.

and i’m not complaining about the exclusion of death heads or funkies at all, i already said that earlier. 😉

Ok, I did know you were ok with no funkies and DH, But I had to use you as the brunt of my arguement…. Sorry. I just wanted you to see that the money is the way to balance it out without just simply excluding the heavy weapons by a NO FUNKY, NO DH rule. That would be even less fun and it would make money and interest less usefull anyway….,

We would have the option of buying alot of hot napalm and heavy rollers when i doubt that we would even need them over the reguar napalm and rollers….and what would likely happen is that all the money would be spent on shields, loads and loads of them.. the game would be a bit of a bore.

lowering interest is one way, reducing the initial money is another way. (I happen to like interest method because it increases the importance of the kill…. But then I also think that the game is so much better if the winner is based on kills, with money deciding ties, and the round wins worth a nice money award.)

Now, as to the two players you mentioned…..
    ACY is good, but really not all that good (no offense to him), notice he has 12 solid days of play for all his kills while miro has only 5 days or so for all his kills….. ACY is not nearly as effective.
    KW is pretty good, not so good with cash I guess….

here is the thing, you were saying that this “group” of players is unnafected (which i pointed out can only be unfair if skills are also unfair)
    Lets assume that there are a few more of these players…. How do you know that they dont have a large inventory of weapons instead of cash. what if the key to their success is having that one extra digger or roller or extra parachutes or whatever. Isn’t less cash going to make it harder for them to get all of it? Just a thought

comedown
    Participant

@boy wrote:

@comedown wrote:

Ok, I did know you were ok with no funkies and DH, But I had to use you as the brunt of my arguement…. Sorry. I just wanted you to see that the money is the way to balance it out without just simply excluding the heavy weapons by a NO FUNKY, NO DH rule. That would be even less fun and it would make money and interest less usefull anyway….,

We would have the option of buying alot of hot napalm and heavy rollers when i doubt that we would even need them over the reguar napalm and rollers….and what would likely happen is that all the money would be spent on shields, loads and loads of them.. the game would be a bit of a bore.

lowering interest is one way, reducing the initial money is another way. (I happen to like interest method because it increases the importance of the kill…. But then I also think that the game is so much better if the winner is based on kills, with money deciding ties, and the round wins worth a nice money award.)

Now, as to the two players you mentioned…..
    ACY is good, but really not all that good (no offense to him), notice he has 12 solid days of play for all his kills while miro has only 5 days or so for all his kills….. ACY is not nearly as effective.
    KW is pretty good, not so good with cash I guess….

here is the thing, you were saying that this “group” of players is unnafected (which i pointed out can only be unfair if skills are also unfair)
    Lets assume that there are a few more of these players…. How do you know that they dont have a large inventory of weapons instead of cash. what if the key to their success is having that one extra digger or roller or extra parachutes or whatever. Isn’t less cash going to make it harder for them to get all of it? Just a thought

you have a point, it probably would turn out that each player would have far too many shields, something else which i didn’t think of.

and, to answer your question about the less wealthy players being so because of a large inventory of weapons, well, i included KW in the list as an example because he buys shields at the beginning of games, leaving no money for anything else.

which i’m sure more than a few other good players also do.

BOY
    Participant

I have sometimes bought shields in round 2 or 3 if I think it will help me get several kills. I usually do this because of a bad spawn though and I dont make a habbit of it.

cbx550f
    Participant

@boy wrote:

I also did not mean that you were not a good shooter, but the way you worded it, it sure sounded like you did not value your kill raitio.

Point of interest: I don’t really value my kill ratio that much, I play for laughs first, kills second 😉

Also, sometimes, when I am feeling competetive – I play to win first, and kill second. And I know I’m not the only one to do this on occasion.

Ebonite
    Participant

*whistles*

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.