This topic contains 73 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  BOY 12 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

poolee
    Participant

Ok, 2 things:

1) DireWolf brought up the idea for a tournament so that he could film the final to get the “best of bread” for a new video – getting all the most skilled players together was the main aim.

2) Skill should be based exclusively on how the game is played at the moment of the current Scorched Free For All server because that’s the sort of carnage and mayhem that makes for great video shoots!!

3) (I know, I only said 2 πŸ˜‰ ) If we want a “skill” test, then yes, MO’s Missile Range is the best candidate. Anyone with $100K can dominate the game with Funkies and DH’s – yes, this take some skill but is hardly a true measure. On the other hand, accuracy and fore-thought would be the measure of true skill on the Missile Range. (The fore-thought is based on the concept of knowing who to shoot first, who’s going to shoot at you, and who’s going to shoot at others – arguably, onecould say you wouldn’t know this if you haven’t played with certain players before, but terrain and wind often dictate who’re going to be the best choice).

So, first we should decide whether to continue debate rules for a tournament that is far from the real-life game, or agree that it should be based on the current setup here and just get on with organising where and when!

Thanks for listening… πŸ™‚

Poolee

BOY
    Participant

poolee!!! grrrrrr!!!!

well, he did say he wants skilled players making skilled shots…..I have no problem with the missle range really, its great for a good duel, Seems whenever I am just about to get my point accross someone comes along and makes it harder. you just said all the same things that have already been said but elequently. I have already addressed all of it basically, but not all at once I guess… here goes……

The missle range is not the only way to demonstrate skilled shots. yes, only the skilled shots will score, >>BUT<< there will be alot of cleanup kills and that is going to amount to alot of luck actually. Heck, the missle range has less to do with traditional scorch than ANY server! NO MONEY NO WEAPONS NO SHIELDS…..bla bla bla. FINE

someone please help me out. Does anyone else see that with only a small amount of modification, we could have it all! the money, the kills, the skills, the explosions, escapes, evasion, monsters, swordfights…. thats it, I’m calling George Lucas!

WHY ALL THE BULLISH ARGUMENTS!

BOY
    Participant

We currently have NOTHING resembling a consensus on how to run this tournament (why i want an elected committee of my respected scorch perrs) I would like to ask that all ideas on the turnament posted from here on explain how, if implemented, they will do the following:

1. make the tournament worth looking back on and doing again

2. make the game more fun overall for the competitors.

3. make the tournament reflect more of the true skill (if possible) that is exhibited in the traditional game.

Thank you.

DireWolf
    Participant

Boy, this is our tournament, not to be a jerk, but we make the rules, suggestions are cool and will be considered, but players must realize that they are suggestions, if someone does not like what we are doing they dont have to join, or they can even go start thier own tournament, I really dont want to sound like a jerk but if this is ever to get off the ground, there can not be all this confict about petty stuff, Give us a chance to get the ball rolling, and I am sure everyone will be happy with the results, Ideas are always welcome!!!
    but it does not mean we will use them.
    Boy, I suggest you get with poole, and elect whoever you need to help, and any info you dont want to be seen in the forums, private message us with it.
    If you need my input for anything I will get back with you as soon as possible, My job is trying to kill me this week, anyway…

Lets make this a fun event, and not kill it before it even starts, outta frustration!!!
    πŸ˜‰

BOY
    Participant

OK, sounds good to me.

Direwolf, would you please provide oversight for my committee?? (you already are)

I will be committee chairman πŸ˜› , I would like to ask Miro and Poolee, as the two best shooters (>100 kills) to assist me on the committee. I hope that we can aggree and If not we will up the commitee to 5 people. Sound ok? Please send private messages to me if you have anything πŸ™‚

Its now 5:09, I’m going home.

cbx550f
    Participant

Why do you need a committee? Seems easy to me:

1. Ask DireWolf how he wants it done (it’s his gig, after all!)
    2. Pick a date and time, invite your perspective players and make them RSVP by 1 week prior
    3. Fill in the spots from people who can’t come or didn’t respond (keep a pool of a dozen or so “maybe” people to fill in at the last mininute if short)
    4. Let the carnage begin!

Don’t get hung up on details. So long as you keep the end of the project in mind, and work towards it methodically, the deatils tend to work themselves out.

Don’t sweat petty things, and don’t pet sweaty things.

I really hope this works out for you, my real advice is: don’t over-complicate things πŸ™‚
    cbx

btw: IMO, I’d play the tourney exactly as the regualt Scorched server does. That’ll save a pile of decision making and debate! πŸ˜‰

cbx550f
    Participant

@direwolf wrote:

Boy, this is our tournament, not to be a jerk, but we make the rules, suggestions are cool and will be considered, but players must realize that they are suggestions, if someone does not like what we are doing….

On my previous post, I was actually starting out to reply to you, DW, but I went astray….

I couldn’t agree with your opinions more, and you are NOT being a jerk. Most of the folks around here are pretty free with their comments and suggestions, and most times they are just that, suggestions. Often suggestions without much thought behind them πŸ˜‰ (I know I often spout out stuff without thinking!)

I think this is a great idea and frankly, I don’t really care too much if I’m a part of it – I’m mostly thinking of the final product that will be produced by you, Dire, and looking forward to it! πŸ˜€

Thanks, Soupmaster, for suggesting it, and thanks, Boy, for taking charge (every project needs a lead!).

My suggestion from here: Plan it for two weeks from this coming weekend, on the 14th or 15th of May (Not sure about the rest of the world, but the following weekends are holiday weekends in Canada and th US respectively), and invite those that you want. Any that don’t confirm by 1 week before, count them out, and start calling on “fallbacks”. Keep a list in hand of “maybes” – and keep them for last minute fallbacks.

Regarding the “who hosts it” issue, I bet if you asked Gavin nicely, he’d provide a server for a day πŸ˜‰ Failing that, I could provide a server – I have a T1 available that I can use, if I feel it’s important enough. πŸ˜‰

Cheers!

cbx

btw: I noticed a GLARING omission from your list of players.
    Would it not seem a tad appropriate to include Gavin?

BOY
    Participant

I appreciate your helpful comments CBX, I did not think it would be this complicated and I know I am taking this too seriously. I dont have the know how to set up the sever and so on, so I need help with all that. ( i really do spend all my time playing) I would guess that ensuring that ONLY invited players made it in would requre a password or something to make sure this goes off without interferance for instance, or making sure we all get in at the same time, ROUND 1, how is that done? server usually starts with first two. Its all these details I just dont know how to work on. The rules would be nice to have in place before any of that… I wabted to delegate all these things to knowlageable and motivated people πŸ™„ LOL well, I like your dates.

BTW the list of invites will be fairly broad, perhaps a simple statistical cut-off or someting, plus honorary players like Gooseberry, Paris (if he still exists, and of course Gavin…

Off to bed with me….

more from work tomorrow… πŸ˜€

comedown
    Participant

@boy wrote:

comedown, you are the perfect candidate for my cash addict recovery program. The first step is admitting you have a problem.
    I’ll PM you the rest of the steps. πŸ˜›

*awaits PM of salvation*

@boy wrote:

First I never said I dont want shields in the tournament and second, i dont see how the lack of shields would mean that luck plays a larger role on a little map. without DH you still have a better chance of surviving even without a shield. There are little shields and there is fuel, dirt….

well, as we all know, the small shields only really give your opponent a bigger target to aim at, making you slightly easier to take out. fuel often fails to work at all with no warning, again bringing an element of luck to the table. and dirt players tend to be more annoying to people than even us rich funkers are.

πŸ˜†

in a situation where you are centimetres from your opponent, face to face, on the same height level, it’s most likely that you are both going to die on the first shot, meaning you will miss out on even the possibility of a round win or any further kills purely due to the bad luck of the spawn.

but, if either you or your opponent had used your skills in accounting (money managing), then one or both of you would have had the opportunity to buy a shield, and now the player who dies is decided by which player used their brain more, rather than by pure luck.

i’m getting the general vibe that cash handling skills are not seen as important, or even as skills at all. almost as if some people feel that anyone who has a large amount of money is not playing fair, and has an unfair advantage.

well, it’s not an unfair advantage, the opportunity to generate wealth is there for everyone, and people who have mastered this particular part of the game should not be treated like they are cheating somehow, by removing the need for their skills in a tournament.

@boy wrote:

What I am saying is that the massive cash makes for lots of DH. If everyone seems ok with no funky and DH, then everyone aught to be fine with less cash too. If it were actually hard to get a DH, I would definitly be in FAVOR of including them in the tournament. as it is, it is extreemely easy to get one. several of them…. for severl people…. for several consecutive rounds…… for ….. for ….. Well, lots, OK. That could be accomplished by reducing intrest.

well, yes, it is very easy to get them for some people… as is achieving single shot kills from a fair distance across the map, for some people.

saying “big money strategies” should be excluded from use because some people don’t know how to use them, is like saying kills don’t matter either because some people don’t know how to fire accurately.

i have no problem at all with DH/funkies being excluded from the game (or made more expensive?) but cash has other uses as well.

as for reducing interest…

@boy wrote:

Dont you think that if it were harder to get money, that moneytary skill would be all the more important, and a DH might actually require skill to aquire!

yes, but as i said earlier, if you off-set a sharp-shooters aim at the beginning of the game, he will have to use trial and error to gradually correct it throughout the game, and by the time the game is over and he’s back on target, he’s already lost, because he was spending all his time re-adjusting his aim.

the same applies for money management skills, if you change something that one group of people (the money grabbers) are used to, without altering anything another group (the pennyless sharpshooters) are used to, then you have unfairly sabotaged the game for the first group.

changing our beloved interest rates, would be exactly the same as off-setting everyone elses treasured aim.

(not that us rich folks can’t shoot, but we’re talking about a full game, requiring a full strategy, rather than just a single round, requiring precision more than anything)

@boy wrote:

I need another brick wall πŸ‘Ώ

lol, like i said, i’ll take part no matter what the rules, it’s all in fun.

i just think you’re being a little unfair. πŸ˜›

DireWolf
    Participant

Boy, I think your choices of people were perfect.
    I like Poolee and have the utmost respect for Miro,

I dont believe you should set a date untill you are ready, this is your baby, and you are in charge!!!
    I did come up with the Idea, but you were ready to take it to the next step, no questions asked, all three of you outskill me by a longshot, I am still Quite the NOOB….
    so I dont think I would be a good candidate as far as setting up the Tournament, I rely on the funky for most of my kills “LOL just ask Miro!!!”
    I think you get my point.
    But I would like as advanced notice as possible about the day of the final, so I can take that day off work.

I do have a couple questions myself as far as the video is concerned.

1. I dont think it should be a music video, I think it should be recorded as a serious event. comments?

2. I think I should cut the video into seperate rounds, this could be a long game and the file size would be too huge, also it would make it easier to download for slower modem users. comments?

also, I am concerned about being able to capture all of what is happening in the game, I am thinking I might need 1 more person to help film, not sure yet, i dont want to miss any action, I will get back to you on this subject.

also, any suggestions on making the video will be listend to, I have only been working with video about 3 monthes before I started playing this game, and have alot to learn.

As far as a server is concerned, I will see if maybe Gavin might be able to help us out in that area, if not, I think that a post in the forums will get you what you need!!!
    Boy, if you pull this off, you should change your name to The MAN, because thats what you will be…. The Man!!!! πŸ˜›

DireWolf
    Participant

Well, Gavin says he will host the server with a password for the tournament, we just need to let him know when πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€
    so I would figure out how you want the server set, asap, and let Gavin Know how you want it.
    Unless someone has a better server suggestion? ❓ 8)

Miroslav
    Participant

1st
    thanx 4 nominating me:) thats really important to me that u want to hear what i wanna say:))

i should pm u BOY but i prefer to put it here..
    i have 2 ideas…..

1) scorched tournament
    we could make a normall scorched game , with all weapons , shields etc..
    maybe less money? f.e. 15k at start

2) skill tournament
    game without shields , FUNKS!!!!( i know what u mean DIRE) πŸ™‚ ,and of corse no DH.. im not sure about sands, u never know what theyll do , and on a flat land theyre too good.

DireWolf wrote:
    Well, Gavin says he will host the server with a password for the tournament, we just need to let him know when πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

/ thats just great !!!

maybe we should do a tournament every month or so?
    that would be very funny , and people ,who dont have so much time to be 1st in ranks:) (omg Acy is playin tooo much:) ) could win something in that game..

Also award like 4 the stats would be great:)

IM WAITING FOR IT!!!!
    my 10 cents:)

Ebonite
    Participant

@boy wrote:

comedown, you are the perfect candidate for my cash addict recovery program. The first step is admitting you have a problem.
    I’ll PM you the rest of the steps. πŸ˜›

Bwahahaha! If he’s the “perfect candidate”, then obviously, I don’t have a problem. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

BOY
    Participant

@eboniteΒ² wrote:

Bwahahaha! If he’s the “perfect candidate”, then obviously, I don’t have a problem. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Naaa, the WORST case just dudn’t make for a good candidate πŸ˜€

@Miro wrote:

thanx 4 nominating me:) thats really important to me that u want to hear what i wanna say:))

i should pm u BOY but i prefer to put it here..
    i have 2 ideas…..

1) scorched tournament
    we could make a normall scorched game , with all weapons , shields etc..
    maybe less money? f.e. 15k at start

2) skill tournament
    game without shields , FUNKS!!!!( i know what u mean DIRE) ,and of corse no DH.. im not sure about sands, u never know what theyll do , and on a flat land theyre too good.

my 10 cents:)

/ HEY MY THOUGHTS ARE ONLY WORTH 2 CENTS!! 😯

ur welcome, thank you for the ideas, your first idea, lowering the starting amount with no other changes will drastically reduce the number of DH.
    if a good player spends 10 on round 2 and has 23K remaining the interest on that money alone will be over 200K at round 10. with only 15K to start, lets say the same player saves a bit more and spends 8K on round 2 . with 12K left, he will have 115k at round 10.

for poolee and miro:
    –we can PM later if if we really need to–What do you think of also making buying available at round 1? So players can risk spending early if they want, or try to live if they get a bad spot. (Someone always gets a bad spot – I would like to prevent this as much as possible — I would think round 1 is the most important round, winners are skilled, yes, but losers often just got bad luck)

@wolfsoup wrote:

Well, Gavin says he will host the server with a password for the tournament, we just need to let him know when

SWEET!!
    as to my pics, I like them too. πŸ˜€

as far as video goes, Good ideas. I think that it might be a good idea to have someone film the overall action from a distance, so you have everything. Then you could film the specific duels and action where you see fit. – You could splice together the best stuff. Or to reduce the file size, convert some of your video into short highlight real clips with a comment or something.

as to being a noob, you sure did get me with that funky that one time, my baby missle landed right by you! grrr! πŸ˜‰ (notice that you lived… who is the noob now?) Me and MOM seem to play on the same terms, We just FUNK each other. LOL

comdown:

my PM will be sent as soon as I can think of the second step HE HE πŸ˜•
    as to reducing interest being unfair. I want you to examine your arguments carefully:

the same applies for money management skills, if you change something that one group of people (the money grabbers) are used to, without altering anything another group (the pennyless sharpshooters) are used to, then you have unfairly sabotaged the game for the first group.

have you even considered that reducing interest makes it harder for EVERYONE? second, do you think that all sharpshooters are pennyless? there is a third group that does both, you know. your comments are sort of self absorbed, no offense

changing our beloved interest rates, would be exactly the same as off-setting everyone elses treasured aim.

its when you use terms like beloved, that i get very worried πŸ˜‰ Are you saying you dont count aim as personally important?

i just think you’re being a little unfair.

reducing interest is not unfair to the money hoarders ( i do it too) IT IS INHERENTLY FAIR. It can only be unfair if you also say that it is unfair that one person shoots better than another, see?

Relying on money should be considered a tactic, to be accurate, not really a skill in and off itself. Shooting is a SKILL pure and simple. I think that reducing interest would actually make money management MORE of a skill. Right now, sitting on money is considered a skill??? really ?

Miroslav
    Participant

@boy wrote:

/ HEY MY THOUGHTS ARE ONLY WORTH 2 CENTS!! 😯

ROFL!!! πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.