This topic contains 73 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  BOY 12 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Deathstryker
    Participant

I wonder why this board doesn’t factor in daylight savings time.

@hobbesme wrote:

Isn’t everyone here smart enough to know what time it is UTC?

If not, just make it one more requirement to join the tournament — you have to know UTC & what time the tournament is! 🙂

I’ve never even heard of this before, so I guess I’m not in. (Lol, not that I qualified anyway.)

hobbesme
    Participant

@deathstryker wrote:

I wonder why this board doesn’t factor in daylight savings time.

Yeah, you’re right.

I am in Eastern Time Zone which is GMT – 4 hours since we are now in Daylight Savings Time. But the board says I’m still GMT – 5 hours — Eastern’s normal, non-DST differential.

I guess the board developers didn’t want to have to coordinate DST/date calendars to update the base time zones’ hour differential.

The week before DST changed for US/Canada; cbx, Sondra, & I were playing a game & Sondra confused us because she’s normally 5 hours ahead of us, but that night she insisted she was six hours ahead.

Cbx & I were confused until I found http://www.timeanddate.com & discovered that different nations go on & off DST at different times in the year!

Obviously southern & northern hemispheres go on & off DST in opposing fashion. But European countries apparently go on DST at Christian Easter holiday while US/Canada go on DST on 1st weekend in April.

Learned a lot checking out that website.

BOY
    Participant

@comedown wrote:

*wonders if he is eligable*

Ok OK you can come too. 🙄

actually I nearly put you in the running for the top ten in previous topic, but kept my list short. I nearly listed Apollo Tangent as well, but I think the two of you had kill ratios that were a bit lower than others for this version. I would say you are a “clutch hitter” you know how to win, Apollo is the same way, he goes for wins over just kills.

Deathstryker
    Participant

@boy wrote:

@comedown wrote:

actually I nearly put you in the running for the top ten in previous topic, but kept my list short. I nearly listed Apollo Tangent as well, but I think the two of you had kill ratios that were a bit lower than others for this version. I would say you are a “clutch hitter” you know how to win, Apollo is the same way, he goes for wins over just kills.

Will there be any spectating from other people allowed?

comedown
    Participant

@boy wrote:

@comedown wrote:

first i get 14 kills in the team server, then i get accepted for a tournament which i will inevitably lose, now all i need is another almost warm pizza and i’ll have had the perfect day.

woohoo

*packs competition suitcase*

DireWolf
    Participant

@That Deathstryker Dude wrote:

Will there be any spectating from other people allowed?

I am not sure, but I doubt it, The final Game I will be involved with for filming purposes, I am going to do my best to film the entire match, which may prove difficult being one person covering 10, I will also leave the original sound track, but I am seriously pondering having Ride of the Valcry’s very low in the background.

😉

BOY
    Participant

i think at this point to help keep the ball rolling we need to elect a Tournament Committee. would someone possibly take a minute to set up a nice poll or something. I think that any of the folks who have posted above would be a good to have on it, but it will be a good idea only if we limit the committe to, say, 5 persons.

Saddistic Fungus
    Participant

Id be interested in competeing in this tournament.. I work 5 and 2 so id have to play on weekends. or after work or something

BOY
    Participant

Ok, lets plan for a Saturday then, sometime at the end of May maybe, should we have some round 1 games played throughout the month? Do we need to do it after School gets out? etc.. etc…

Apollo, I think that the game should not be played on MO’s missle range becuase it takes money out of it. I am pretty sure that with all the cash addicts we have, that it is removing the most enjoyable part of the game for them. It would be less fun I think too, but I would certainly go along with it if we all agreed. I think playing at a limited arms level would be a good idea.

Another idea that would be neat would be to have a set amount of money. No intrest at all, and very low money awards for kills

here is another, to reduce possiblitly of multiple round winners (I personally dislike this) there would be more turns allowed per round.

Saddistic Fungus
    Participant

good ideas BOY.

The Winner of the match IMO should be by how many kills not by wins.

We could have a 2 on 2 tournament or something too team tournament

comedown
    Participant

@boy wrote:

Another idea that would be neat would be to have a set amount of money. No intrest at all, and very low money awards for kills

i’m not too sure if that’s a good idea, most of our (the potential competetants) game strategies depend a great deal on our ability to manage our cash, i’m not saying we rely on it 100%, but taking that part of the game away from us would be like off-setting a skilled sharpshooters’ aim. by the time we re-adjust, the game’s over and we’ve lost.

if it’s going to be a scorched tournament, shouldn’t just the regular scorched rules apply?

otherwise, instead of finding out who the best is at S3D, we’ll only be finding out who’s the best at a variant of it.

meh, i’m in either way, i just feel that’s a valid point.

side note: where are the servers today? 🙁

Deathstryker
    Participant

@comedown wrote:

@boy wrote:

i’m not too sure if that’s a good idea, most of our (the potential competetants) game strategies depend a great deal on our ability to manage our cash, i’m not saying we rely on it 100%, but taking that part of the game away from us would be like off-setting a skilled sharpshooters’ aim. by the time we re-adjust, the game’s over and we’ve lost.

if it’s going to be a scorched tournament, shouldn’t just the regular scorched rules apply?

otherwise, instead of finding out who the best is at S3D, we’ll only be finding out who’s the best at a variant of it.

meh, i’m in either way, i just feel that’s a valid point.

side note: where are the servers today? 🙁

Very good point comedown.

As for the servers they are apparently down. Sondra nor I could find them either.

BOY
    Participant

@comedown wrote:

🙁

YEs, you have a very valid point. Here is the thing. SIgh. [Boy pauses for thought] The dependence on managing Cash is not 100% per se, but the reliance is very heavy indeed. The main reason to “manage” said cash is to buy F shields and Funky bombs, no? Well, I think what you would find is that many player are not going to want to have funky bombs in play. Take Miroslav, the best player strickly by statistics, he has suggested no Funky or DH. Why? Well, many of you good players who know how to win will certainly target him first, as he is the best shooter in the game.

Put 10 good players in a game that all know how to manage their cash, and know how to win, and what you are going to get is a situation where people are elimitated by cash saving and Funking stratagies, Any map in which is small will inevitably be a waste of time if you are in the middle and any or all of the last 3 or 4 rounds will be a continual rain of DH. You see what I mean? I think the case for no DH and NO FUNK is a good one.

Now, without those, I dont see the need for the massive cash amounts. no one wins based on money, (perhaps its happend once in a while)

I hate to say this, but all the improvements people suggest for makeing the game based more on skill are already installed on the apoc servers.
    1. game is won based on kills
    2. round wins worth more money
    3. early rounds have limited arms levels.
    4. there are no small maps
    5. no need to limit funkys and DH (they are the weak weapons)

what peeps dont like about the apoc server is that some of the weapns are too powerful, but actually many of them, althought powerful are actually hard to use. On top of that, the prices for them are set very very high, and they are actually very hard to get. SInce winning is based on kills, you dont have the option of saving your money, sitting back, and winning a few rounds toward the end. The point is that if we adopted some of these rules it really would be a more interesting and skilled game.

Rob, do you think that you could help us set up a modified shieldtest game for our tournament, perhaps on your teams server for instance?

comedown
    Participant

i don’t mind the exclusion of funkies or DH’s at all, as i only usually fire a funky if i suspect the same treatment in return or am pretty desperate, and only really use DH’s in the last round for fun… but taking away shields (or money to buy shields) leaves you just as open to a single shot death on a closely grouped map as you would be if funkies/DH’s were allowed, meaning luck would play a much larger part in winning than is ultimately desirable for a tournament.

BOY
    Participant

comedown, you are the perfect candidate for my cash addict recovery program. The first step is admitting you have a problem.
    I’ll PM you the rest of the steps. 😛

First I never said I dont want shields in the tournament and second, i dont see how the lack of shields would mean that luck plays a larger role on a little map. without DH you still have a better chance of surviving even without a shield. There are little shields and there is fuel, dirt….

What I am saying is that the massive cash makes for lots of DH. If everyone seems ok with no funky and DH, then everyone aught to be fine with less cash too. If it were actually hard to get a DH, I would definitly be in FAVOR of including them in the tournament. as it is, it is extreemely easy to get one. several of them…. for severl people…. for several consecutive rounds…… for ….. for ….. Well, lots, OK. That could be accomplished by reducing intrest. Dont you think that if it were harder to get money, that moneytary skill would be all the more important, and a DH might actually require skill to aquire!

I need another brick wall 👿

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.