This topic contains 13 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  MaGaO 9 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

MaGaO
    Participant

I’ve just installed (after years of not playing) Scorched3D again on one of my computers. Unlike the last one, where I always have administrative privileges, this one has a restricted user account for day to day work. It seems I can’t play Scorched3D in it, though: the game installed correctly from the administrative user (well, I had to move the Start|Programs folder to the All Users account, but that’s par for the course) and the loader works correctly in the restricted user account (it even states a path in that account to store game data). Unfortunately, when I try to get into the game it blows up. The loader notices this and asks me whether I want to change the setting to safest mode, but this doesn’t seem to work either.

It’s possible it is just my computer acting up, and if I need to I’ll probably trace the program’s file and registry access history. But, if someone knows that this has happened before and can tell me how to sort it out without going to all that work, I would be very grateful.

Thank you for reading this far.

Deathstryker
    Participant

where does it crash at exactly?

MaGaO
    Participant

@deathstryker wrote:

where does it crash at exactly?

Ok, procedure follows:
    1) Start|Programs|Scorched3D|Scorched3D
    2) Select settings (not mandatory)
    3) Press Play
    4) Watch Windows XP say that scorche3dc has detected a problem and must close down.
    5) …?
    6) Profit!

If I select full screen mode it actually gets started and then drops back to standard mode. If I don’t, the client window starts up and then dies.

Update: I ran the game with Procmon enable (nice little tool to watch what’s happening at the file and registry level, by the way). scorched3dc.exe manages to traverse the whole installation directory looking for something and then starts the shutdown procedure (dwwin and drwatson to the rescue!). When run with administrative privileges it stops traversing the installation directory after finding something in the data directory. I’m going to try and make the restricted user have full access to the installation directory, just in case.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Dunno, I’ll try this myself and see what happens. What privs does the user have?

MaGaO
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

Dunno, I’ll try this myself and see what happens. What privs does the user have?

It’s the standard restricted user created through the Start|Configuration|Control Panel|User accounts wizard.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Tried this and it works fine for me. New user under XP in no groups at all except for the users group.

MaGaO
    Participant

Then it’s probably my computer acting up once again. Sorry for wasting your time.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@magao wrote:

Then it’s probably my computer acting up once again. Sorry for wasting your time.

Not at all. I wasn’t saying it wasn’t a bug, just that I couldn’t reproduce it. Perhaps there are other variables at play. You can play other 3D games on a normal account?

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

Gavin.
    Did you install a fresh copy of S3D using a limited account, which is where I see the problem may be.

Rommel
    Participant

Hi MaGaO and Gavin:

Forgive me for interjecting. Knowing that Gavin is definately the best source of information for any game topic, I feel a little hesitant to post in this thread. Hopefully he is watching and will correct me if I say something wrong.

The default safe settings may not provide you with the bare minimum settings required to start the game. If not, then perhaps you can turn off everything not absolutley required and get the game to load. At least then, you would have a stable platform to use to attempt to isolate the problem setting(s).

After choosing the safe settings option, I went into the trouble shooting window and checked every box that remained unchecked. Then I ran a local game, choosing None for the mod and target practice for the type of game. It wasn’t pretty, but it is playable. Hopefully you can duplicate this on your end.

You didn’t mention if this machine is acting as a networked terminal or a stand alone PC. Not that I think it should matter, but it might. This is the part I hate to mention but it hasn’t been addressed. Check the docs and make sure that your machine meets the minimum requirements.

Having nothing further to suggest, and being careful not to ask any questions, I will slip back into the darkness and try to refrain from any further intrusions.

Best wishes to you both,

Rommel

MaGaO
    Participant

Thanks to everyone for the follow-ups. To center the system status:

-No other 3D game has broken down like this when played as a restricted user.
      -Since I didn’t know I could install the game as a restricted user, I have installed it using an administrative account. The most glaring side-effect is that all the access folder is put on the administrative account, instead of “All Users”. This is common so I don’t think it is actually related.

Since this issue is still generating some interest, I will try the following procedures:

-As suggested I’ll try to dumb the game as much as possible in order to see if it makes a difference.
      -I will also try and install the game in the restricted account, as it would seem there is no actual need of having install privileges. At least that’s what I gather from your posts.

I’ll try and inform you as soon as possible.
    Once again, thanks.

MaGaO
    Participant

As usual, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEBKAC. After upgrading my ATI drivers, it seems all problems have sorted themselves out (I can even play Foldit!).

Working configuration dump follows:

-Upgraded ATI drivers from 7.19 to 8.6
      -Installed Scorched3D directly from the restricted user account.

Consider this query closed. Thanks once again for all your help.
    N.B.: Why on Earth would the game work with administrative privileges but not with restricted ones when the drivers were the same?

Rommel
    Participant

Congratulations, and welcome aboard.
    @magao wrote:

As usual, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEBKAC. After upgrading my ATI drivers, it seems all problems have sorted themselves out (I can even play Foldit!). …

I hope to hog you soon,

Rommel

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@magao wrote:

As usual, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEBKAC. After upgrading my ATI drivers, it seems all problems have sorted themselves out (I can even play Foldit!).

Working configuration dump follows:

-Upgraded ATI drivers from 7.19 to 8.6
      -Installed Scorched3D directly from the restricted user account.

Consider this query closed. Thanks once again for all your help.
    N.B.: Why on Earth would the game work with administrative privileges but not with restricted ones when the drivers were the same?

upgrading to the latest drivers is often a good place to start (unless you are using vista 64, where I have yet to come across a system that works with the ‘latest’ Nvidia Drivers (Go on Lappy, have ya giggle 🙂 )).

As for a restricted account: The software does not have the rights to write where it needs to, so the files that should exist somewhere, don’t. The software will then look in a certain location, not find what is required and then crash.

I am unsure, given your previous two posts, on which account you first tried installing to and which it is now working on.

An admin account will not have the rights problem, but a limited account should.

A short spell with Linux will help you understand Admin (Root) privaledges and what happens when they are not allowed.

MaGaO
    Participant

@peanutsrevenge wrote:

As for a restricted account: The software does not have the rights to write where it needs to, so the files that should exist somewhere, don’t. The software will then look in a certain location, not find what is required and then crash.

Actually, that doesn’t happen with Scorched 3D as it is right now. It doesn’t happen with some other software (eMule comes to mind).

@peanutsrevenge wrote:

I am unsure, given your previous two posts, on which account you first tried installing to and which it is now working on.

An admin account will not have the rights problem, but a limited account should.

A short spell with Linux will help you understand Admin (Root) privaledges and what happens when they are not allowed.

I installed it from an admin account the first time: it ran successfully as admin but not as a restricted user.
    After several tries, and following comments on this thread, I uninstalled from the admin account and installed as the restricted user. No go either.
    Finally, I remembered to upgrade the ATI drivers (something I usually fear as they have played havoc on my computer a couple times already) and reinstalled as admin, and now everything works.

Thanks for the pointer to Linux, but it seems the privilege scheme is quite different (at least it has been so for the last 10+ years I have been working on/managing UNIX boxes). Case in point: Scorched 3D installs as restricted user (when installed on a directory writeable by said user, of course). Then again, this may simply be a case of Scorched 3D’s installation specifics.
    Ok, time to get bombing 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.