This topic contains 64 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  PeanutsRevenge 9 years, 8 months ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #49140

    PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

    @yusuf wrote:

    One dosent cheat.. he just plays good like Vihor he has calculation and that is fair .. how can anyone prove that he uses aimbot programs and stuff? if there is no actual proof he cannot be claimed as cheater .. he should be allowed to play.. removal of stats was quiet enough..this is ridiculous

    Trouble is, there is proof aparently and I’m sure it will be constantly posted that there is proof.

    The question that should be getting asked it would seem is, what is there proof OF?
    Without context, proof is nothing but facts, there are facts for everything, yet on their own they PROVE nothing.
    There seems to be little or no communication between the accusers and the accused, where there aparently had been with xox.
    Hopefully all will be resolved once talking resides over pointing fingers and secrecy.

    #49141

    xox
    Participant

    There seems to be little or no communication between the accusers and the accused, where there aparently had been with xox.

    You are wrong there PR, I had to beg them for answers, and I still don’t have them. I don’t know why I have been banned. The admins say I used cheats. The reasons for their accusations, and therefore ultimately, for the bans, are still unknown to me.
    Considering that I play scorched almost exclusively on my linux box, I consider this proof enough that I don’t cheat. Which still leaves me wondering WHY I have been banned, and the admins are not willing to answer that.
    Moreover, all this nice talk about people getting banned only AFTER voting, is nonsense. I got banned by JiNx on the spot. I had to ASK him to place the matter before the admins on their precious little private forum. The ban was still upheld though and only confirmed two or three weeks later, AFTER I sent yet another PM.

    #49142

    PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

    Perhaps that is one of the things that has changed in the updated guidelines?

    #49143

    mooic
    Participant

    My 2 cents,

    I have played with One for a long time, LONG before this stupid aimbot thing appeared, he even gave me tuition over skype, i can tell you now, HE HAS NO NEED FOR AN AIMBOT, even if he had one he’s nearly as good as one anyways!!!!!

    Stop this stupid fannying about and put him back!

    #49144

    Pam
    Participant

    Just a thought from a banned fellow:
    I once played a game, and The One entered in the 5th or 6th round.
    He managed to shoot Funckies and Heavy Sandhogs, just after he joined.
    I was wondering how he did that, and asked him:
    “Hey dude, where does all this stuff come from ?”
    His answer: “It’s magic”

    Obviously, not only cheating is forbidden. Magic isn’t allowed either . . .

    As a side note:
    I’m banned, even I’ve done nothing wrong. Apache64 just realized that I’m indeed very capable of doing so. You can’t make too sure, can you ? Better hang 9 innocents, that let escape 1 criminal ! That’s medieval tradition, and still very popular. He did this for the good of all honest players, and I am, as you might have noticed, not the least pissed off about it. It’s a game, nothing more. If I feel the urge to play with others, I start my own server.
    You, my dear One, have used magic.
    They didn’t tell you not to, but now the damage is done.
    Why don’t you join me in the effort to make THE ULTIMATE SERVER ?
    I appreciate any magic, and “they” can’t ban you there. 😉

    #49145

    PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

    @pam wrote:

    Just a thought from a banned fellow:
    I once played a game, and The One entered in the 5th or 6th round.
    He managed to shoot Funckies and Heavy Sandhogs, just after he joined.
    I was wondering how he did that, and asked him:
    “Hey dude, where does all this stuff come from ?”
    His answer: “It’s magic”

    Obviously, not only cheating is forbidden. Magic isn’t allowed either . . .

    Talk about trying to stitch someOne up….

    #49146

    parasti
    Participant

    @pam wrote:

    I’ve done nothing wrong.

    You openly used “aiming aids”. It might not fit your definition of “wrong” but that’s what you did.

    #49147

    Pam
    Participant

    Yeah right, I use a custom sight and everybody knows it, so what ?
    If you like, you might aim over your wet thumb or glue a piece of chewing gum to your screen. Everyone to his own, right ? You might have noticed, that a missile doesn’t come out of your tanks gun. If you look at your tank from an external view, you can see that the missile appears on top of your turret. What I did was to replace the original sight ( A GL_QUAD_STRIP , who came up with that ? ) with a crosshair that points in the initial direction of the missile. It’s as good or bad as any sight, since the missile will start to drop due to gravity, after a short distance. What if someone adjusts the key repeat time of his keyboard to match every single keystroke of the left/right arrow, to one mark of wind strength ? It wouldn’t help much, since the wind hardly blows from a 90 deg angle, but it might just help to guess. That’d be cheating too, huh ?

    #49148

    parasti
    Participant

    So your point is..? It does not matter how many times you say otherwise, or how loudly you say it, or what words or tone you use, or whatever. I have absolutely no doubt that you used an aiming aid that can hardly be labelled “custom sight”. There is hard evidence of that. (As much as possible in this environment.) As far as I’m concerned, I’ve mostly enjoyed playing against you on-line. In order to make me shut up and forget about this, you only had to do two things: stop using it and stop claiming you didn’t use it. (You don’t even have to admit anything.) Unfortunately you didn’t manage to do either.

    #49149

    PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

    I just happened to rig my electric line from next door into here..
    Just a simple bit of re-wiring while they were on holiday..

    Does that make me a thief?

    Y

    E

    S

    #49150

    comedown
    Participant

    @peanutsrevenge wrote:

    I just happened to rig my electric line from next door into here..
    Just a simple bit of re-wiring while they were on holiday..

    Does that make me a thief?

    Y

    E

    S

    That’s criminal activity, I’m telling the police. No, I’m telling Apache.

    No! I’m telling Apache that my previous statement was probably some kind of joke. Then, Peanut, I’m going to re-state it, then do it, and you’re going to get in so much trouble.

    #49151

    PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

    LOL.
    Me n my big mouth 😀

    To be fair tho, they deserve it, cant notice a massive cable going out of their kitchen window and in through mine.
    Its coming to the middle of winter and they cant close the window 🙂

    #49152

    Chopper
    Participant

    How come when youre banned you can still get in here and post?

    brings to mind……..”The lady doth protest too much.”
    Did I get that right?…… 😕

    #49153

    Pam
    Participant

    @parasti, my dear,
    there is absolutely no evidence of cheating.
    Mods (Apache64) decide, based on their best judgment.
    Sometimes they make mistakes, but who’s perfect ?
    The question is: Did you enjoy to play with me ?
    Did you have the impression I had an unfair advantage ?
    If so, I’d be delighted to give you the source.

    Love, Pam.

    (No , really ) 😀

    #49154

    a banana
    Participant

    @parasti wrote:

    @pam wrote:

    I’ve done nothing wrong.

    You openly used “aiming aids”. It might not fit your definition of “wrong” but that’s what you did.

    @pam wrote:

    Yeah right, I use a custom sight and everybody knows it, so what ?
    If you like, you might aim over your wet thumb or glue a piece of chewing gum to your screen. Everyone to his own, right ?

    @parasti wrote:

    I have absolutely no doubt that you used an aiming aid that can hardly be labelled “custom sight”. There is hard evidence of that. (As much as possible in this environment.)

    This is into uncomfortably grey areas.

    The real problem with this is that there seems to be a total lack of clarity on what is OK, and what is not OK. This appears to be leading to double standards as there are some players on here who have previously openly displayed the fact that they use “aiming aids”, and yet they are not banned. Don’t believe me? Look in this thread. There are clearly players in there (at least one admin and one developer included) using a custom interface consisting of a grid overlaid on the minimap for the purpose of assisting in the estimation (calculation?) of shot power.

    We could get into the semantics of whether or how this aiming aid is better than that aiming aid, but let’s not. Instead, consider that the reality is that whilst Scorched3D remains to be an Open Source game (and I thank the tasty, curvy, sweet-fleshed peach on the other side of my fruit bowl that it is), it is going to be near to impossible to actually stop people from customising their game client. Heck, even the multi-million-dollar turnover online game worlds can’t totally eradicate it (think WoW, EQ2, etc.) and they’re closed source with extensive resources at their disposal.

    But back to the lack of clarity as that is, at least, something that can be readily dealt with. Let’s just simply state that aim-bots are illegal (an aim-bot being a system to explicitly show where the shot is going to land, or a system that actually takes the shot for you), whilst other “aiming aids” are legal — because there’s really zero chance that you can stop them anyhow (ruler/string/table? Transparent sheet of plastic stuck to the monitor with a grid drawn on it?).

    (Actually, I don’t really understand how you can have a sure-fire way of detecting a genuine home-grown aim-bot as isn’t it theoretically possibly to have an aim-bot that is not even a direct modification of the game client? i.e. a third-party applet that somehow interfaces with the game client in a mysterious and clever way. Even performing an md5sum or similar hash check on the binary doesn’t really seem to be an option, either, as that’s going to vary from build-to-build, assuming it’s built from the source. However, if the devs have come up with a reliable bot-detection system then that’s great — as long as it’s accurate!)

    Personally, I’ve used aiming aids from the very first time I played Scorched3D. Want to know what? My eyes, my gut instinct and a good old dollop of practise (although that latter one is somewhat lacking at the moment). These aids have enabled me to pull off the most amazing shots on occasion, hitting a target at first try in wind 5 half-way across the map (and I’m not talking about the tidily maps on main, either, but the huge maps in some of the mods that even a 1000 power shot at 45 degrees with the wind behind you doesn’t get much more than half-way over the map). Is there anyone here that has NOT managed to pull off the odd shot that they, themselves, have been gobsmacked at? Theoretically (especially if your luck is in and your gut/eye/practise are up to speed) you could pull off two or even three stunning shots in a single game, maybe more.

    So, the admin team really needs to somehow be clear and realistic about this. A degree of transparency would probably help a lot, too, as right now people are apparently distrustful and angry (decisions made behind closed doors, players not informed of said decisions until some time later, no real explanations given to implicated players about decisions). If you have some method to actually detect a real, genuine aim-bot then great, ban that player’s ass. However, there is surely no-way (at least, non that I can see) that you can totally prevent or reliably detect any of the other aiming-aids mentioned here, so you’ve got to err on the side of caution and assume that it’s just a good player, or a mediocre player with a random streak of incredible luck. If you can’t or won’t ignore such non-aim-bot aiming aids, then you need to explain the apparent favouritism where Pam (and maybe other players that the admin team knows about) gets banned, but certain players in here do not get banned (as there’s no rationale to say that one method of interface customisation is any more beneficial than any other method as long as the player isn’t actually using an aim-bot).

    Having said all of that, this isn’t a democracy and you can run things pretty much any way you see fit; that totally seems to go against the community spirit of the game, however.

    Incidentally, I don’t know Pam, other than the posts she has made on this forum. I also have nothing against any of the folk I’ve pointed to in the Greatest Games thread, but I do think there’s an apparent inequality or a degree of favouritism going on, which irks me.

    On a totally different note:

    @peanutsrevenge wrote:

    I just happened to rig my electric line from next door into here..

    Peanut: Please, please don’t post irrelevant crap for the purpose of increasing your post count; we really don’t give a rat’s ass how many posts you have done. No, really!

    a banana

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.