This topic contains 15 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Deathstryker 7 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

pastor of muppets
    Participant

Would love to hear from you all, mostly regulars, but why do you scorch?

I personally found this game looking for scorched 2d from dos version. After stumbling upon this game I quickly hooked up a server for me and my buddy Mike. It did not work out like I planned. I was fairly new to the internet and was excited about us being able to play a game and chat at the same time. Our first experience with this was a frisbee golf game 🙂 Mike’s wife was and is not a good person.

So time moved on and I came back to this game where I met Viking in a tournament server and him and I had a pretty deep discussion. I hope you remember that VIke!

Moving on I met Mandy and many others and was hooked to a game that I did not have to be occupied 100% of the time. I could look away and watch movies and do whatever but I was still playing a game on line with people from all over the world. How cool is that?

So as I have said many times, this is my “cheers” the American sitcom that was very popular. This is where I come to unwind.

That is my story, what is yours? Would love to hear from you, each and everyone of you.

Viking62
    Participant

I was surfing the web looking for free games to play & I found Scorched3d-At the time (on dial up isp) this was the only game I could play online because of my very bad internet speed/bandwidth (26.4/2-3Kbps). I had a 2.4ghz celeron 478pin
    & Fx 5200 agp vid card. *Used this system for 2 years*.
    I started on the beginners server with the 50 kill rule…Had to see what was next…so, made the 50 kills & I went into the main server & I had my butt killed constantly until I had more experience with shooting and the weapons. Mandy and Brain Damage and BigBear gave me pointers to help me survive and shoot better. I made a lot of friends on the servers from all around the world (I thought that was pretty awesome). I played Main,Beginners,Teams,Apoc,Scavenger,RoofMod quite often for a long time. I played Astro Empires for 2 years also (Mostly under the Scorched3d label/guild).
    I remember quite a few meaningful discussions with you POM & our sparring practice on the servers also 😉 . I have too many good friends here over the years to list….just know I remember you also. I’ve seen a lot of people come & go…I wish they would all come back to play once in a while;or at least drop in to say hello. I get sidetracked with other endeavors on the web & even get bored with Scorched3d at times or real life gets priority-But, I always try to get back in here & get involved in the forum or a game or two.
    *If I seemed to ramble on….I had cocoa/Coffee….Imagine that! 😆

zombie
    Participant

i bumped in to this game again ( earlier i played b/w 2D version) while browsing cnet sites . at first i played offline , as i used to play with 2d version. i had dial up connection then ( they charged with time not data transfer) i accidentally pushed network game and viola. earlier i used to play with rommel server most. i played most of time there till it ran . then came to main server and found so many players from so many countries . now the conversation part is becoming important as game. as of now conversation part is 50 percent important to me. as i can not converse with so many ppl of diff culture anywhere. one thing more conversation is more important here b/cos often we get ppl with good IQ, not teenagers. i am sure viking dream will be fulfilled one day . all the best.

pastor of muppets
    Participant

Thanks for the replies VIKE and Z others please respond it will help in gathering info to advertise this game.

ArmorWraith
    Participant

Found it on a website similar to this one.

http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20080510052539217/Games.html

Hyde911
    Participant

I don’t remember how I came here, it was in 2005 or 2006. I was during studies so probably I was drunk. Anyway, In that time I played mostly on Apoc server with Rommel. He was a normal person in those days. I was rather poor player and remember that I was very happy when I reached top 50. After one year or so I gave up playing (I don’t remember why). I resumed playing with 41.2 series and I play up to this day.
    Why do I play?
    I think scorched community is great. Mostly adult people (this game requires lot of patience so not many teenagers stay here for long) you can have an great conversation with. Unfortunately most of regulars left the game. And of course Scorched3D is just great game.

ArmorWraith
    Participant

im a teenager..

*does that mean im boring to talk to..?

🙁

I came here because I like tank games, about it, it allows me to be creative.

Thrax kept me here by teaching me to play, and i got hooked.

kanga

Hyde911
    Participant

@Kangabunny wrote:

im a teenager..

*does that mean im boring to talk to..?

🙁

I’m sorry. I didn’t want to offend anybody. Lets say that there are not many immature teenagers (and adults) here.

zombie
    Participant

yes kanga pls dont feel offended. though we all r teenagers ( mentaly atleast 😉 ) . sabi inclueded. but the quality of conversation is very good. i can know about so many ordinary citizen like me around the world. and what they think about different issue , may be more important for them or vice versa . and offcourse i can practice my broken english here without fear 😉 :D. it is really a great game.

Deathstryker
    Participant

I first started downloading Scorched 3D in around the Fall of 2003. I think the version number in that time was in the high 20’s.

I don’t remember the exact occasion but I’m sure it had to do with my interest in the original Scorched Earth back in the DOS days. Every time I’d come over to my cousin’s house, he’d either show me the “new” Doom game that he’d bought or we’d play hot-seat mode in Scorched Earth. I consider it a fun part of my childhood growing up and we still converse about it to this day.

Since Scorched Earth doesn’t run too well on some current computers, I started to play Scorched 3D. It was an outlet for me to relive those days of playing Scorched Earth and terms like “Funky Bomb” and “No Kibitzing” brought back fond memories while at the same time incorporating modern-day technologies not found in the DOS incarnation. The most obvious of these technologies was to see Scorched in 3D for the first time. It was a huge “selling point” at the time and I remember it was one of the “what ifs…” my cousin and I would discuss all the time during the first days of 3D gaming. So to see something like this come to fruition really struck a chord with me.

Another modern day technology Scorched 3D brought with it was its community aspect and I presume this is the primary reason I’m still with the project. With this innovation I could talk to other Scorchers about the past and present of Scorched Earth while sending a Nuke their way. I could also speak my opinion about the game itself on the forums.

To play this game and to speak about it allows me to not let something I enjoyed so much as a kid die in the past. The concept of Scorched is a great one and I hope it continues on in some form or another down the road and I’m glad to have been a part of it in one form or another.

That is why I “Scorch.”

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

So much nostalgia!

I found the game after a google search for ‘free games’. Must be a few years ago now. v40, I think. I’d never played the DOS version. (I’m not quite as old as Deathstryker (I hope : )

I was on a laptop at the time. (hence the name). It was so good, I ended up installing the game on a big old desktop.

I suppose I play mainly, because as Hyde says, most players are grown ups, and I like to chat. We have players from all over the world. I’ve always treated Scorched as a kind of chat room with explosions. It’s light on resources and doesnt take my full attention. If I need to wait for the computer to finish rendering or encoding something, I can join a game and play a few rounds while I wait. If I get a phone call while I’m playing, I can skip a few rounds and no one cares. Also, Im very good at it, which I dont often get the chance to say when it comes to computer games.

Oh, and the modding and server hosting options have always held my attention. It’s really easy to make mods for the game and end up with something completely new. It gives me a chance to play computer game developer and maybe vent some artistic frustration when I need to. Then there’s the interaction on the forums. A lot of people on here have similar interests. PC hardware, politics, the odd argument about nothing in particular.

This all presents a kind of “back in the day” theme. From what I can see, Scorched3D seems on track to be bigger than ever. I just hope gavin manages to keep it free for everyone.

pastor of muppets
    Participant

Not to get off subject but I would love to see a tourney using an older version of scorched. Just for kicks.

Chopper
    Participant

oh Man…..I klnow my thingy says like 2005 or so but it was before that…but somethin ‘ dumped and I lost my id….and ….er….what was the question again?

Sheez’…why do I scorch?..i used to play with people that have moved on…or been banned… 😛 …some I can remember…some…I …what was the question?

I’ve seen Willis willis,CBX…cbx, and eBonite…eBo…lemme tell ya sumethin’,,,it was a hell alotta fun.

This aint fair, i have CMS……can’t ‘member sheet… #-o …the checks in the mail….I promise officer I didn’t see the light….hey Lady!…nice TaTa’s.. :mrgreen:

Its hell gettin old.. 8)

I love the people,I love the game, I love scorchin’
    with stoli hammers inna middle of the night.

That about covers it, ’nuff said.

ArmorWraith
    Participant

@chopper wrote:

oh Man…..I klnow my thingy says like 2005 or so but it was before that…but somethin ‘ dumped and I lost my id….and ….er….what was the question again?

Sheez’…why do I scorch?..i used to play with people that have moved on…or been banned… 😛 …some I can remember…some…I …what was the question?

I’ve seen Willis willis,CBX…cbx, and eBonite…eBo…lemme tell ya sumethin’,,,it was a hell alotta fun.

This aint fair, i have CMS……can’t ‘member sheet… #-o …the checks in the mail….I promise officer I didn’t see the light….hey Lady!…nice TaTa’s.. :mrgreen:

Its hell gettin old.. 8)

ROFLMAO

Deathstryker
    Participant

@chopper wrote:

Its hell gettin old.. 8)

Speaking of Willis, he sent me PM a couple days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.