This topic contains 66 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Rommel 9 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

parasti
    Participant

@rommel wrote:

Tsk-tsk.

Eh. I don’t know what you’re reading between the lines, but I would appreciate if you let the rest of us know about it… In fact, it would be really great if you did this when writing, too.

Deathbal
    Participant

@rommel wrote:

Not being a homosexual and not wanting to end up in jail in Venezuela, I used the (Roman ?) thumb up hand signal to indicate OK for the remainder of my trip. 😉
    Rommel

uh huh! Yes i’m sure.

And unfortunetly if you were doing the thumbs up to some middle easterners that may have been there, it would have meant this.

‘Thumbs up’ traditionally translates as the foulest of gesticular insults in some Middle Eastern countries — the most straightforward interpretation is ‘Up yours, pal!’

Rommel
    Participant

Hi Deathbal:

That was a fine follow up example of just how complicated these things can become. @deathbal wrote:

@rommel wrote:

Not being a homosexual and not wanting to end up in jail in Venezuela, I used the (Roman ?) thumb up hand signal to indicate OK for the remainder of my trip. 😉
    Rommel

uh huh! Yes i’m sure.

And unfortunetly if you were doing the thumbs up to some middle easterners that may have been there, it would have meant this.

‘Thumbs up’ traditionally translates as the foulest of gesticular insults in some Middle Eastern countries — the most straightforward interpretation is ‘Up yours, pal!’

Hopefully the raised middle finger is universal and not a form of salute or greeting anywhere. 😉

Rommel

Rommel
    Participant

Hi parasti:

I was just having a little fun with words.
    @parasti wrote:

@rommel wrote:

Tsk-tsk.

Eh. I don’t know what you’re reading between the lines, but I would appreciate if you let the rest of us know about it… In fact, it would be really great if you did this when writing, too.

The tsk-tsk was the first phrase contaning two identical words (like now now) that came to mind to indicate disagreement.

Later,

Rommel

Loke
    Participant

Dunno – I really love scorched, mods are fun or some of them are. I prefer a balanced game and most mods are more experimental than they are balanced. Using all features, changing all the time you never know what its all about – fighting the resident AI – or modmakers – always one step behind – one leaves them to the masters of their own universe and the temptation to try again is very little indeed.

Loke

doom
    Participant

MODS RULE! and anyone who plays default only (mcb included) is simply either a moron, thinks s3d is a chatroom, hates originality, or thinks that mods are completely different… THEY’RE NOT!

BigBear
    Participant

@doom wrote:

MODS RULE! and anyone who plays default only (mcb included) is simply either a moron, thinks s3d is a chatroom, hates originality, or thinks that mods are completely different… THEY’RE NOT!

Nice post Mr. (oxy)moron. I find it beyond comprehension that there is yet one more person that thinks insulting the majority of the players will somehow help getting ppl to play more mods. By now I realize I am wasting my breath but geez, get your heads out of the sandbox and try a different approach. It can’t possibly get any worse than this effort.

Rommel
    Participant

Hi Big Bear:

I’d like to agree in a novel way, but I’m at a loss for words. 😉 @bigbear wrote:

@doom wrote:

Nice post Mr. (oxy)moron. I find it beyond comprehension that there is yet one more person that thinks insulting the majority of the players will somehow help getting ppl to play more mods. By now I realize I am wasting my breath but geez, get your heads out of the sandbox and try a different approach. It can’t possibly get any worse than this effort.

I’m not sure what methods might be more fruitful but if the methods that have already been tried failed, then simply having more people trying the same methods doesn’t seem to be a viable solution.

When I was the co-sysop of a FidoNet BBS we gave little prizes for contests. It was never anything expensive, mostly cheap software or cheap hardware. The prize wasn’t really the inticement to win, but it did seem to garner more interest in the competitions. Knowing how overly inflated some of OUR egos are, 😉 I suspect that keeping someone else from winning the prize was more inticement than winning the prize.

Do I suggest that mod hosts offer prizes? No, due to the cost of shipping, that hardly seems worthwhile. Perhaps the best inticement (and certainly the cheapest) is the recommendation of others that enjoy playing it.

Offer the mod, and let the people that play it regularly bring others into the game (a big THANK YOU to all that supported and encouraged my efforts with Apoc Champions). Interact with the players as much as possible to try and figure out what they like and dislike and make changes as required to please as many as possible (you’ll never please everyone). If no one is playing after giving it a sufficient trial period, then it would appear that the problem isn’t the players, it’s the mod.

Of course, this assumes that a sufficient number of players are playing on the main server and also on the other mods. If the game is in decline and we are losing active players from the main server and mods in general, as some have suggested, then the problem isn’t the mods and the solution isn’t in the hands of the modders.

Given the fact that defeating or detecting the hack has been deemed impossible and that first shot direct hits in F5 cross winds from across the map are still occuring, then perhaps a mod where the hack is freely offered and openly used by everyone would be a big success. You won’t find me playing there, but it should be great fun for some of the games better players.

Best wishes to all,

Rommel

BigBear
    Participant

@rommel wrote:

I’m not sure what methods might be more fruitful but if the methods that have already been tried failed, then simply having more people trying the same methods doesn’t seem to be a viable solution.

You’re damn right it won’t help! It’s just bloody annoying!

@rommel wrote:

Do I suggest that mod hosts offer prizes? No, due to the cost of shipping, that hardly seems worthwhile. Perhaps the best inticement (and certainly the cheapest) is the recommendation of others that enjoy playing it.

That would seem to be the best option yes.

@rommel wrote:

Offer the mod, and let the people that play it regularly bring others into the game (a big THANK YOU to all that supported and encouraged my efforts with Apoc Champions). Interact with the players as much as possible to try and figure out what they like and dislike and make changes as required to please as many as possible (you’ll never please everyone). If no one is playing after giving it a sufficient trial period, then it would appear that the problem isn’t the players, it’s the mod.
    Of course, this assumes that a sufficient number of players are playing on the main server and also on the other mods. If the game is in decline and we are losing active players from the main server and mods in general, as some have suggested, then the problem isn’t the mods and the solution isn’t in the hands of the modders.

I don’t know about a decline, but imo the game isn’t really big enough yet to generate enough players to push players onto mod servers that won’t be looking for them anyways on their own accord. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, we tend to have about 50-60 ppl that can be considered regulars on main. Before you’ll see regular traffic on other servers for an extended period of time I’d say that number would have to be doubled considering those current 50-60 ppl are spread across the globe playing on different time slots.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

I think it would be nice to have an official mod, hosted on an official server.

I know we have the icons these days, but the amateur, home-hosted aspect of user mods is a deterrent. There’s no getting away from that.

A single official moderated mod, hosted on the main server, could go a long way to adding more interest. Show the masses what the game can do. (Apoc is cool, but – maybe things have moved on a bit).

I think if the management were looking for more hits on the site, a google rank for ‘free game’ would go a long way. I know those were the terms I was using when I first came across scorched.

Ps:
    @bigbear wrote:

@doom wrote:

…THEY’RE NOT!

I love irony : )

Mcb Lover
    Participant

@doom wrote:

hey noob..what do you think about if ill come in any mod and kick your ass? 👿

Thrax
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

I think it would be nice to have an official mod,
    hosted on an official server.

I know we have the icons these days, but the amateur, home-hosted
    aspect of user mods is a deterrent. There’s no getting away from that.

A single official moderated mod, hosted on the main server, could go a
    long way to adding more interest. Show the masses what the game can
    do. (Apoc is cool, but – maybe things have moved on a bit).

1? There are already many “Official” Mods.. hosted on many “Official”
    Approved servers. You have just slighted myself, Bobirov, and Panther.
    Whether Gavin hosts, or I, or either of the other 2, they are no less valid.
    Putting the current set of co.uk admins into the moderation of a
    mod-server wouldn’t make it any more official..

If you wish to choose one of the already existing authorized mod-servers
    to promote and gather on, feel free. Only by testing what’s available,
    can the majority choose the most preferred one. And then if there are
    corrections, balances, and improvements that are requested, they can
    be taken care of promptly.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

you show’m vitos : )

thrax, i know

but arguing the semantics wont change the fact that there is a difference. a home hosted, dynadns whatever dsl server will never carry the same weight as the official, fixed ip, stats hosted on the site, paid for main ones.

im surprised youd be opposed to the idea. was just a thought

ps:
    i meant moderated content, not admins

Thrax
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

you show’m vitos : )

thrax, i know

but arguing the semantics wont change the fact that there is a difference.
    a home hosted, dynadns whatever dsl server will never carry the same
    weight as the official, fixed ip, stats hosted on the site, paid for main
    ones.

im surprised youd be opposed to the idea. was just a thought

I’m not totally opposed to it. Gavin could host any mod he chose at any
    time. Commonly only for Tourneys, which i also suggested.. a
    Mod-tourney, but not restricted to that. Stats here, or on the official
    mod-pages are no less worthy of fame.
    However, for the players to select which mod they’d prefer for a
    Gavin-hosted tourney, they would have to examine what’s available.

Mcb Lover
    Participant

someone said the word ‘tourny’ ? heh…poor that none said…..
    btw Thrax…id not remember even one of your tourneys….or you too lazy for it?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.