This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Rommel 9 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

Mcb Lover
    Participant

ha! noob server? so why do you dont play on it?
    hehe

Jurily
    Participant

Rommel
    Participant

How long will this saga continue?@peanutsrevenge wrote:

http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/stats/playernames.php?Prefix=3&Series=10&PlayerID=10179

Its even got the Caps in the right place

I just followed the link Jurily posted and it took me to the post I left several days ago. Although the issue of the ForumLogin function wasn’t addressed (most likely due to my tone) perhaps one of you can pick up the torch and run with it.

I’ve tried to get it to work several times but it either never worked to begin with (doubtful) or doesn’t work because I can’t find any documentation on it AT ALL and I’m not using it properly. My suspicion is that unless I have a MYSQL database set up to do the stats, it won’t work for me. This shouldn’t be a problem for the main server though. The only thing I’ve been able to find was a short discussion of the pro and cons of implementing it on the main server.

I wish I could be more help but my friend Sancho Panza and I have dragons to kill.

Good luck with this,

Rommel

Deathbal
    Participant

I think I know who it is.

Thrax
    Participant

@rommel wrote:

I just followed the link Jurily posted and it took me to the post I left
    several days ago. Although the issue of the ForumLogin function wasn’t
    addressed (most likely due to my tone) perhaps one of you can pick up
    the torch and run with it.

I’ve tried to get it to work several times but it either never worked to
    begin with (doubtful) or doesn’t work because I can’t find any
    documentation on it AT ALL and I’m not using it properly. My suspicion
    is that unless I have a MYSQL database set up to do the stats, it won’t
    work for me. This shouldn’t be a problem for the main server though.
    The only thing I’ve been able to find was a short discussion of the pro
    and cons of implementing it on the main server.

Forum login requires several components. httpd, mysql,
    php5, phpbb/phpbb2 forum script, and some customizations to the
    pbpbb/2.

Alone, the forumlogin method does not prevent the use of any name,
    it only securely identifies the player with a name/pass login in order
    to track the players id-key.

The other server.xml setting of ‘RegisteredUserNames’ limits the
    use of specific names to authenticated users. Authentication can
    be by password, preferred list, or forumlogin.

I have used forumlogin several times, but never seen the need to
    activate the RegisteredUserNames feature.

Rommel
    Participant

Hi Thrax:

Thanks for the update. If no one minds too much, I’d like to try and get this discussion going again. I hate making apologies. I really don’t have much experience with them, but I don’t think I’ve actually given the one that everyone deserved (still feeling guilty). I’ll try and get it right this time and be done with it.

I was over the line, and I’m not only sorry that I may have caused any of you to feel badly, I’m also dissapointed in myself for stiffling the discussion I was trying to get started on the ForumLogin feature. It’s easy to forget sometimes that anyone that contributes anything at all is volunteering their time and energies and that we all are on a limited budget in that regard. To those that contribute a little, thank you. To those that contribute more, thank you that much more. Whether we say it occassionally or never at all, everyone appreciates, ALL OF THE TIME, the jobs you do, or we’d leave. Please except my sincere apology, not only for my recent outburst, but if you can, please try and extend it to cover the frustration expressed by a few others recently.

With that being said, I’d like to present a few ideas for consideration and respectfully request comments and suggestions from anyone that has something they’d like to share.

@thrax wrote:

@rommel wrote:

I just followed the link Jurily posted and it took me to the post I left
    several days ago. Although the issue of the ForumLogin function wasn’t
    addressed (most likely due to my tone) perhaps one of you can pick up
    the torch and run with it.

I’ve tried to get it to work several times but it either never worked to
    begin with (doubtful) or doesn’t work because I can’t find any
    documentation on it AT ALL and I’m not using it properly. My suspicion
    is that unless I have a MYSQL database set up to do the stats, it won’t
    work for me. This shouldn’t be a problem for the main server though.
    The only thing I’ve been able to find was a short discussion of the pro
    and cons of implementing it on the main server.

Forum login requires several components. httpd, mysql,
    php5, phpbb/phpbb2 forum script, and some customizations to the
    pbpbb/2.

Alone, the forumlogin method does not prevent the use of any name,
    it only securely identifies the player with a name/pass login in order
    to track the players id-key.

The other server.xml setting of ‘RegisteredUserNames’ limits the
    use of specific names to authenticated users. Authentication can
    be by password, preferred list, or forumlogin.

I have used forumlogin several times, but never seen the need to
    activate the RegisteredUserNames feature.

I was under the impression that if a server opted to use the ForumLogin feature, players not registered in the forums would not be allowed, much like the kill requirement you use on some of your servers.

(Side note) I like your idea and if possible, I’d like to borrow it but change it to where only players above some arbitrary rank or nubmer of kills on Apoc HQ FFA would be allowed to play on mine.

Although I encourgage everyone to register in the forums, it isn’t possible to force anyone to do this without some sort of ForumLogin feature.

If everyone that logged onto a participating Scorched 3D server was a registered forum user, we would all have a good means of contacting our players with notices of updates, outages, etc. and have a much larger hammer available for those special times when a big hammer is required. While I’ve not had any real problems with abusive players, bad names, impersonators, etc., I’ve seen the complaints posted in the forums. This seems to be a continuing problem which, at first glance, appears easily solved.

Eliminating the potential for abuse throughout the entire community is something I can support and see as a very worthwhile endevor.

(Side note) Hopefully issues which benefit the entire community have a higher ranking than my request to balance the fog or someone elses request for something that only benefits a few. Not discounting anyones ideas and hopefully not discouraging anyone from presenting them for future consideration, but realistically, these types of things are better left for later (bye foggy mountains) when most all of the things that would immediately benefit everyone have been completed.

Since the ForumLogin feature doesn’t appear to work as I thought, would it be worthwhile to restructure it to work something like this:

A player upon chosing a participating server is requested to enter their forum name and password. This would be handled on Gavin’s side, eliminating server operators from gaining access to the forum users passwords.

Only the person(s) with the password could use that name and the person holding the password would be held accountable for misconduct committed by anyone using that name. This makes giving someone else your User ID a bit risky (forum and game misconduct) and may help curtail instances where it appears that the same person has played almost continuosly for days. 😕

Oh yeah, thanks in advance for any reply you care to send back regardless of your position.

I’m trying to learn Milkshape now, and am happy to report that it seems like something I might be able to figure out with bothering Shockwave too much. 8) Hi Shockwave. 🙂

Thanks again,

Rommel

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.