This topic contains 123 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Laptops Daddy 3 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

hi. i was brought here from the quote thread.

it’s nice to see that vote in protest of war option.

this is probably noted somewhere already, but maybe it should be emphasised a little bit more. that option was added following a few votes on the other options. *also im sure the thread was started as satire and intended in itself as a protest.

i don’t know if we have any mods around who can change it? maybe it wouldnt hurt to remove the poll now.

i don’t think my thoughts have changed much in 4 or 5 years. i don’t think there will be a war.

i think we should push more for renewable energy. use some of that technology to lead the way a bit. give it away for free, share it with the world.

if iran need nuclear power plants, any country with the technology should just help them build them. do a deal, share a few tricks.

sort the worlds economy out with innovations in entertainment and domestic appliances, things that make people’s lives better and easier. industry, construction, jobs in management, maintenance, education.

Rommel
    Participant

Hi LaptopsDaddy :

I’m going to resist typing a reply today and instead, offer this partial
    capture from a recent interview given by a UK Member of Parliment :

The Right Honorable Gentleman, Mr. George Galloway

“I must say that in a lifetime in politics I don’t think I ever experienced a
    better day, than the day that in our debate in the British Parliament, my
    own speech being one of two or three, perhaps four, taken at the very
    height of the debate definitely switched the audience, no doubt. And we
    only won by 13 votes, which means if we hadn’t persuaded 7 people, if
    those 7 had voted the other way, then Britain would now be at war with
    Syria, and Iran by extension, and with Russia and China on the other side.
    And that would be a catastrophe hardly worth thinking about.

The capitalist states and the imperial powers – this is all just window dressing – its
    cosmetic. They talk about Law, but they practice something completely different
    overseas, and now increasingly in their decline they are practicing that same
    something different in their own countries.

Let’s just take one example. Edward Snowden’s revelations which were a signal
    service to humanity, for which he should get the Nobel Peace Prize, were treated
    by the British State as an act of terrorism. And the British State then began acting
    like a pirate.

The Guardian Newspaper, one of the great liberal institutions in the land, was
    raided by the political police with sledgehammers; I’m not making this up. And with
    those sledgehammers they, by force and without the permission of the owners of
    the computers, namely the Guardian Newspaper, smashed the hard drives –
    smashed them into pieces – so as to destroy evidence of malfeasance and wrong
    doing on the part of the British State.

Now, such actions would have been caricatured in the past by the British State as
    being the kind of thing that happens in dictatorships and autocracies, the kind of
    thing that happens anywhere except Britain. But it did happen in Britain and it
    happened in 2013.

So, I’m afraid it’s all just a veneer, that is very easily shredded, and if the British
    State had to, it would cast that veneer aside altogether.

So, I never place much faith in laws and justice. At the end of the day all states
    will treat existential threats to their own continuance in exactly the same way.”

Those that might like to read the entire interview, can find it here.

On BOY’s Post and Poll : Although he doesn’t post as often as he once did, he
    still visits the forums on a regular basis. Modifying the poll might be best
    done by him in order to avoid another round of, “Who altered my post ?”

Best Wishes to All,

Rommel

Deathbal
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

hi. i was brought here from the quote thread.

it’s nice to see that vote in protest of war option.

this is probably noted somewhere already, but maybe it should be emphasised a little bit more. that option was added following a few votes on the other options. *also im sure the thread was started as satire and intended in itself as a protest.

i don’t know if we have any mods around who can change it? maybe it wouldnt hurt to remove the poll now.

i don’t think my thoughts have changed much in 4 or 5 years. i don’t think there will be a war.

i think we should push more for renewable energy. use some of that technology to lead the way a bit. give it away for free, share it with the world.

if iran need nuclear power plants, any country with the technology should just help them build them. do a deal, share a few tricks.

sort the worlds economy out with innovations in entertainment and domestic appliances, things that make people’s lives better and easier. industry, construction, jobs in management, maintenance, education.

But was it necessary? The question was When will the war begin, not when should the war begin. So based on the question the options were enough.

Rommel
    Participant

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

hi there

i think i would still go with ‘The war will not take place/or indifferent’. ‘vote in protest of war’ feels a bit insipid. im not that indifferent.

who knows how things come across to some. when/should/the.

when will china invade the US?

i don’t know! maybe that needs its own poll.

it is interesting how impressions seem to differ, even between people who consider english their first language. US/UK/other variants seem to have some subtle but big differences sometimes.

there’s nothing wrong with a controversial title or a bit of an exaggerated or stretched point of view in my opinion. all that devil’s advocate stuff – probably healthy for good debate.

Viewing 5 posts - 121 through 125 (of 125 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.