This topic contains 15 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  PeanutsRevenge 5 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

barnEbiss
    Participant

I was playing around with this today and I was just wondering is there a map editor or other tool for editing and making new maps?

ArmorWraith
    Participant

yes, there are quite a few good programs for mapmaking, many of which are free!

http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Making_a_custom_map

Here is a link to a tutorial on maps, you can then adjust it to your gfx edititng software. We simply use photo editors such as gimp or photoshop.

Armor

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

I’ve not tried making a map for Scorched, but the map editor I’ve used for Spring is this, there’s a free version and a free trial of the pro. Don’t know if it will do to scorched specs, but it’s a great editor.

barnEbiss
    Participant

I have a texture file that is set to match a highmap for an entire map, would I be able to overlay this texture on a terrain for scorched?

ArmorWraith
    Participant

@barnebiss wrote:

I have a texture file that is set to match a highmap for an entire map, would I be able to overlay this texture on a terrain for scorched?

Can you post it? I can see what i can do when i get a bit of free time.

Armor

barnEbiss
    Participant

before I post it I have to find a way to open up and save my RAW hightmap file to a format that S3D can handle.

barnEbiss
    Participant

I have zipped up my hightmap and texture file for you to look at, can you take a look at it and see if you can get it in. I want to know how well Scorced3D handles a terrain file like this.

ArmorWraith
    Participant

here are the results of my test, files i tweaked included.

Armor

barnEbiss
    Participant

hmmm for a quick export from the terrain editing program I use that actuly looks rather good esp with ground texture.

Now I just have to work at it so that the tall mountains are not as tall and bumpy and generate a new refined hightmap that looks more natural and realistic..

I have the world hightmap for the other part of the world..

what would be the maxium hightmap size for a texture file you would recommend if I combined them together?

ArmorWraith
    Participant

You can create a 1024 x 1024, a 512 x 512 or a 256 x 256 or a 128 x 128. It really depends on what your looking for. Quality will depend on your scaling process.

The engine will have trouble with heightmaps and arenas greater than 1024 x 1024.

Otherwise yes they look great, it was a quick mix on my end, so brazil is underwater.

Armor

barnEbiss
    Participant

could it handle a 2048X 2048 hightmap?

ArmorWraith
    Participant

It can, but youll notice a large loading time. And the max 3d rendering of a landscape is capped at 1024 x 1024 as far as i know.

Armor

barnEbiss
    Participant

hmm well I can probably combine both world height maps into a 1024X1024 hightmap.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

Typical yank, thinks america is the world.

lord, please them!

:p

barnEbiss
    Participant

Peanuts that’s just the one world highmap, when I did the height maps for another program it split them into two hightmaps one that covered one half the globe and the other that covered the other part I have to merge the American hightmap into a highmap with the Europe and Africa and Asian one.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.