This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Picci 10 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Picci
    Participant

what i’m trying to do apply something similar to this

http://www.interspire.com/webedit/

on a page i’m making, so that “the guy” can update a text box with the “recent news” in it, without having to ask me to do it everytime

i know there are freeware things to do this… maybe some ASP scripts…
    i’ve seen it done by a guy, but he doens’t remember how he did it and now his site has been trashed.. (long story, no backups)

so, the problem is making a page (B) that edits a text box in page (A) without the need to know html, etc….

thx if u figure something that could do this …
    i’ve been struggling with it for over than a week now, and all i’ve found are a $75 program and a $100 one 😛

one interesting thing i got was using tinyMCE to edit the pages from another page of website itself… but i wasn’t able to set it up

thx again,

Brain Damage
    Participant

as i think i’ve already told you; you can use the mediawiki project:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki

it’s the engine used by wikipedia & the docs section of scorched, and it’s free

it allows anyone or only registred/restricted users to edit a page or create another, all depends on your policy settings.

check the website for further details

Picci
    Participant

thx bd, i know, i tried that

couldn’t figure how to get it to work
    or how to make the users access stuff for that and everything

i just need to edit one 10 words < text box so i don't think i'll need that big wiki thing……….

🙄

cbx550f
    Participant

There isn’t a “pure html” way to do this – you’d need to use ASP or PHP or something… I would think that the easiest way would be to use a small content management system to do this. Search sourceforge for CMS, or check out cmsmatrix.com for comparisons.

An alternate method would be to use an include in the web page… for example, if the page is PHP, you could do something like:

Here's the news section:

Where the “news.php” file would be uploaded to the server by the editor and would contain the html code for the news.

Picci
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

An alternate method would be to use an include in the web page… for example, if the page is PHP, you could do something like:

Here's the news section:

Where the “news.php” file would be uploaded to the server by the editor and would contain the html code for the news.

Genious !

i can’t believe i didn’t think about that before !

then i can simply show the editor how to open front page and edit… then click on upload (which i’ll have to set up the config for in frontpage.. but i don’t think that will be a problem)

thx CBX !

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.