This topic contains 10 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Bobirov 11 years ago.

• Author

Bobirov
    Participant

I have noticed a few small issues with WeaponGiveAccessory.

If you have an accessory disabled for a tank type in tanktypes.xml, he can still both receive and use that accessory if he receives it via a WeaponGiveAccessory primitive. What I am thinking should happen is that the player should receive the weapon, but they shouldn’t be able to use it. It would remain in their inventory and they could sell it if they wish, but they are not allowed to fire the weapon in play. That to me seems fair and still maintains any balance that was trying to be achieved by limiting that tank’s use of that accessory.

Somewhat similar to that issue is the fact that each accessory’s specified attribute is ignored when using WeaponGiveAccessory. I think that the accessory’s maximumnumber should limit the amount of an accessory that a player can receive through any means. Perhaps that behaviour should be determined by a new tag in WeaponGiveAccessory that is along the same lines as the tag in WeaponGiveLife. I tried to see whether the player can receive more than even the server’s maximum weapon number setting yet, might be something else to check into.

Just a couple things I have noticed about the WeaponGiveAccessory primitive in terms of it defying some limits that are in play. My stance on them probably seems contradictory to my previous stance on another WeaponGiveAccessory issue. But, hey, I have my reasons… 😛

Rob

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Yeah, this does seem almost the exact opposite of the other request 🙂

Perhaps if someone picks up something that they are not allowed then they should automaticaly be given the money for it instead.

Bobirov
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

Yeah, this does seem almost the exact opposite of the other request 🙂

Well to me, in the other situation the player was being cheated out of something they should have gotten. And in this situation the player is cheating the system and breaking the rules being allowed to use something they should not. So that was why I had the different stance on it. 😉

@gcamp wrote:

Perhaps if someone picks up something that they are not allowed then they should automaticaly be given the money for it instead.

That would be fine too. Just so long as they cannot use the stuff they are not supposed to I will be happy. In fact, that way if buying/selling isn’t even used, they will still get something out of it. Clever 😉

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Ok, I’ll change the behaviour so you cannot pickup items that current arms level, tank restrictions, maximum limits etc allow, but instead you are credited with the amount of money that the item costs.

To me that seems the simplest solution that still fits into the game rules.

Bobirov
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

Ok, I’ll change the behaviour so you cannot pickup items that current arms level, tank restrictions, maximum limits etc allow, but instead you are credited with the amount of money that the item costs.

To me that seems the simplest solution that still fits into the game rules.

Alright, sounds good to me. Thanks 😀

Brain Damage
    Participant

i have an idea, basically it’s a ripoff of the WeaponTeamAction primitive, what about a primitive like WeaponTankTypeAction? i would take different behaviours depending on the tank type the player is using?
    it won’t make contrast with the actual solution and i belive it will only expand it

something like:

Tank Type Action Test

none
    <tankaction type = 'Weapon......

turret
    <tankaction type = 'Weapon......

i belive it would add the following advantages:

-tanks could get the correct weapon for it’s arsenal
    -custom death actions for each tank
    -custom muzzle flash for each tank
    -you don’t need to create (and rename) different fuel accessories for different tanks (to make different speeds for each tank for example)
    -*insert your custom idea here*

Bobirov
    Participant

OMG yes, I was thinking this same thing but I didn’t want to ask for anything else… 😛

With something like that I could just make a generic backpack or ammo crate. Any tank could pick one up and then be resupplied with the proper loadout instead of having to pick things up individually. That would be REALLY nice. 🙂

jdog
    Participant

When you use tank type, does it over ride the standard tanks list for the game or can you use then and have other standard tanks.

(over write the tanks.xml file?)

Brain Damage
    Participant

overwriting the tanktypes xml doesn’t change anyhting on the usable tanks by a player, editing the tanks.xml changes, you have to consider that unless you plan to edit the default tank only, editing the tanktypes is useless unless you edit the tanks as well becasue otherwise all tanks will have as a type “none” by default, so if you play to add custom tanktypes, to let the people use them you have to create a tanks.xml file as well, limiting the choices to tha tanks listed there

Brain Damage
    Participant

for your reference, i noticed this:

@TODO wrote:

Added: WeaponTypeAction weapon to choose subsequent weapons based on player’s tank type

Type Action Test

data/wav/misc/teleport.wav

Bobirov
    Participant

Yup, I noticed it too. Already got it up on the 40.1 wiki. 😉

Gonna try to put it to use today and see what happens.

Bobirov
    Participant

Checked out WeaponTypeAction, works like a charm. 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.