This topic contains 31 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  doom 10 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

InductiveOne
    Participant

I set it to like 2 lives, 100000 at start. Levels suck.

Steal anything you want. Thanks everyone be back eventualy.

-inductive

InductiveOne
    Participant

ps: this is realy realy beta.

BOY
    Participant

I think some more details about the mod would be nice, or I doubt anyone will want to test it. 🙁

doom
    Participant

THIS MOD ROCKS!!!!!! (nice timing huh)

THIS ONE WILL BE SUPER SUCCESSFUL! just needs more weapons and a few custom tanks.

p.s would you like a beta of my mod Inductive?

p.p.s could you be on my modding team?

InductiveOne
    Participant

I thought the topic subject described it well 🙂

I dunno, I like huge flashy weapons. I wanted to make huge weapons but also have strong defensive actions so as not to die in like 2 shots every time. I am realy only able to test with the bots (doomer bots, which still dont aim as good as i wish they could) or me vs. bots because i still have no phone line heh. Anyway, I shouldn’t have used the word ‘betatest’ but instead said something like : hey if anyone has nothing else to do check this mod i’m working on out, cause some of the weapons look cool.

Since uploading this I made 9 new levels, scrapped all the ones in this linked version. I have like 6 new weapons too. I’m acualy using my lunch break right now to try to find some help files on how to put tanks together.

About joining a mod team? Well, I only have about a week and a half experience so let me try to figure some more of it out first hehe. And yeah, I’d like to check out any mods for sure. email me or link me here or whatever.

And ps: anything I ever make (that isn’t stolen already) is free for any other modders to swipe and use however they wish. I personaly dont need any credit for anything, but make sure if you steal something I already stole you credit the original author hehe.

And pps: like, anyone know about how much bandwidth running a scorched server would use per month? like, about how much the official servers or some of the more played servers like apoc use? I would be willing to throw some money at a linux shell or something to run a server (if its not going to be more then my monthly rent or something heh)

Thanks everyone who has checked this out, if your just a casual gamer I would hold off on checking this out until I get a bunch of bugs out and like, most likely change everything a few more times 🙂

I still have to figure out how to do all the placement stuff out.

ppps: anyone remember the uh, i think it was a shock cannon or something? i seem to remember it being in raptor mod, but maybe it was panther mod. I dont know if I made one the same way, but I definitly ripped off the idea and I’m not sure who to credit hehe. (it will be in the next version) [edit: it was the giant laser that spread like a shotgun and was pink/purple/awesome]

Bobirov
    Participant

How much bandwidth your server will use per month really depends totally on how big your mod is if you’re going to use the mod download system. If you don’t use it, it won’t take hardly any bandwidth at all. But if you do use it and your mod winds up being 10MB compressed, that’s going to require some bandwidth. 😉

Honestly I haven’t really looked at how much my servers use. I’ll try to have a look tonight and see if I can’t get an average of some kind.

InductiveOne
    Participant

link: http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=DCFA21334CF4A591

Burning tires and cinderblock missiles. All weapons in this mod are based on science. I have constructed them in real life in my back yard.

I’m trying to (going to try to) get some 1 player games up and working. I think i just stumbled on my answer to why it isn’t working so… anyway. I made 4 tanks so far, turns out that it isn’t hard at all! I’m still a lame modeler though. tank03 is rad if you ask me. Anyway…

There are now 9 new levels that all use the same textures (i stole the sahara directory from the original and just modified the textures and saved them as the same name due to lazyness). Anywho. I kind of like the way the levels turned out, they are suposed to be like ruins of alien cities or something.

A question, should i be having a topic like this where I ask questions, and post links to some stuff i’m working on somewhere else? If I’m using this section of the forum incorrectly let me know. So I made a file with a list of weapons and some descriptions. I am going to attach it to this post (its a pretty long list). So far the weapon count is a little over 30 custom weapons. I still have a few new models to make, and need to get items in levels. I also have to work on replacing a bunch of sounds. Figure I need at _least_ 10 more tank models. I seem to be able to get through about 2 new tanks a night before I get kinda bored trying to select verts.

I have an idea for an acual to-be-servered mod I will start working on uh, sometime soon. So I figure anything in this ‘mod’ I am messing with now is just me learning, so if anyone wants any parts of it for thier mods or anything else, feel free to snag stuff. Especialy tank03, I like that one. I should get them textured or at least ‘painted’ a little better and i’ll start upping them to the custom tank thread.

Anyway. Later on… Oh and cbx, if you read this I dedicated a bot to you (I miss you… exploding) 🙁

Bobirov
    Participant

@bobirov wrote:

I’ll try to have a look tonight and see if I can’t get an average of some kind.

Just looking at the Byte Output stat on my server window, I’d guess that my FFA server is uploading about 1GB of data a month. But that is with the clients already having most of the mod data, aside from a few updates. For a large mod with a lot of people connecting, it could possibly be more than that.

InductiveOne
    Participant

hey thanks bob. I may try to set up a server on a linux shell in the next month or so. I may drag my feet till the next version comes out in case there are any big changes or cool new things to mess with anyway. And uh, its not like I have a mod very close to finished atm anyway. Made a few new tanks last night though. Still suck at modeling.

It seems like, as long as I keep tank models under like 5000 faces max I dont get any slowdown at all with 24 bots. My computer isn’t amazingly fast or anything so is that a decent rule of thumb? It seems like most tank models are in the sub 2000 faces range. Does it make any speed diffrence if the models are bmp textured or not?

Bobirov
    Participant

@inductiveone wrote:

It seems like, as long as I keep tank models under like 5000 faces max I dont get any slowdown at all with 24 bots. My computer isn’t amazingly fast or anything so is that a decent rule of thumb? It seems like most tank models are in the sub 2000 faces range.

Well personally I would say that 5000 polys on a tank is too much, but maybe thats me. Under 2000 to me would seem more appropriate, and less than that if you can get away with it. Once you start adding in landscape objects and trees and the weapons being fired during a turn and so forth it all starts to add up. You should always try to save as much as you can wherever you can. Its just a good way to be. 😉

@inductiveone wrote:

Does it make any speed diffrence if the models are bmp textured or not?

As far as I know Scorched only supports bmp textures at the moment. So there really is no alternative here that I know of.

InductiveOne
    Participant

Here is the latest beta or whatever. Added a bunch of new tanks. Some new weapons. Tweaked a bunch of stuff. Added a dropped items system. Anyway , just thought I’d post the newest stuff or something. I like the gas nook.

The tanks, I am getting better at making low poly models (i guess).

Still dont feel like texturing them proper hehe.

Have fun.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=12642673538C8738

BOY
    Participant

I downloaded but now I’ll will wait to see if you have a 40.1 version before I check it out. Keep up the good work.

InductiveOne
    Participant

Ah, I just saw that there is a download for 40.1, I will install it tonight and figure out what I need to fix. Gimme a day or two. I’ve made a ton of changes since then anyway. Up to like 20 tanks now, even geeked out compleatly and did a few more aqua teen models (who did the ignignok or however its spelled?)

Bobirov
    Participant

@inductiveone wrote:

Up to like 20 tanks now, even geeked out compleatly and did a few more aqua teen models (who did the ignignok or however its spelled?)

That would be me.. 😉

I also posted a master shake model in the tanks post somewhere as well. 😉

InductiveOne
    Participant

Hah, Its prob better then the master shake I did. Also did a frylock (that came out realy good!) a meatwad and an er (ir?). I am pretty sure I’m going to do (a bad job of) carl and the robot thing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.