This topic contains 8 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Deathstryker 9 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

Deathstryker
    Participant

Just when you thought that crappy OS couldn’t break compatibility any more.

I’m so glad I got rid of Vista. I tried to give it a chance and I just couldn’t take it anymore.

BigBear
    Participant

I am staying far away from Vista the next time it’s time to upgrade. ‘Nuff said!!!

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

Does appear that M$ are rushing through the next version tho, early reports are suggesting 2010.

Deathstryker
    Participant

Yeah, I heard about that.

I hope to god that Windows 7 will be much better and less candy-coated than Vista.

They really should have focused more on technology rather than cosmetics.

f course, we aren’t gonna have much choice by that time anyway because XP will be too outdated to do anything (only because MS will not want to support it anymore).

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@deathstryker wrote:

Yeah, I heard about that.

I hope to god that Windows 7 will be much better and less candy-coated than Vista.

They really should have focused more on technology rather than cosmetics.

f course, we aren’t gonna have much choice by that time anyway because XP will be too outdated to do anything (only because MS will not want to support it anymore).

Xp’s support life has been increased due to the large companies not switching to vista and demanding a longer support life…. Or so I read somewhere, can’t remember where so not sure how true it is.

KDE have gone the same way with v. 4 its gone all pretty out of the box, but doesnt seem to have alot extra beneath the skin, YET.

Not sure I agree with less cosmetics though, computers can already do sooo much, I would prefer existing tech to be refined to enable easier use.

Would also be nice if M$ stole linuxs live disk idea aswell, makes it soo much more accessible, especially when the thing dies and you need to google something for a solution, where, atm you need to fix the problem to find out HOW to fix the problem (Come on lappy, tell me windows is better than Linux at that :D)

Speaking of which, I re-installed linux last night to help a mate install it onto his machine, its managed to kill my existing windows install (second time thats happened) however, where I was getting 15fps in scorched on windows with FULL detail, I am getting a limited 30fps in Linux.
    Who says windows is faster for games? ? ? : )

Jurily
    Participant

@peanutsrevenge wrote:

Who says windows is faster for games? ? ? : )

I do. As much as I love Linux, the ATI drivers seriously suck. I was getting 40-45 FPS on Linux with moderate settings vs. 60-70 on XP. The settings were the same, I copied over the .scorched3d folder.

My Vista experience stopped when I realized there is no way to set some reasonable screen resolution for the installer… (which means, given my crappy monitor, 640×480@60Hz, 800×600@56Hz or 1024×768@43Hz interlaced).

Guess I’m saved. 😛

Jurily
    Participant

@peanutsrevenge wrote:

Not sure I agree with less cosmetics though, computers can already do sooo much, I would prefer existing tech to be refined to enable easier use.

Eye candy != ease of use. Check out KDE3 Plastik vs. pretty much anything else out there.

Also, for example, while fading menus look good for the first 5 minutes of using them, they’re also slow. Same for everything else where I have to wait for an animation to finish before I can actually do something with it.

BigBear
    Participant

@peanutsrevenge wrote:

Does appear that M$ are rushing through the next version tho, early reports are suggesting 2010.

They are shortening the production cycle to come up with something better than this crap that got delayed. Hmmmm. Not that I think it can’t be done, but considering it’ll be them doing it I am highly sceptical.

Deathstryker
    Participant

@peanutsrevenge wrote:

Xp’s support life has been increased due to the large companies not switching to vista and demanding a longer support life…. Or so I read somewhere, can’t remember where so not sure how true it is.

That IS true, however OEM companies are not allowed to offer XP after June or July (can’t remember which) with their systems. They are only obligated to support the system through drivers and stuff until… what was the year? 2009, 2010?

Anyway, the other day, I was searching for a laptop to buy and the first thing I did, was check the company’s driver support page for XP drivers since I will not be using Vista. On one particular model of HP’s, I noticed that there were only a couple of XP drivers compared to at least a dozen Vista drivers on that page. That doesn’t mean that there are no drivers for XP for those individual components but rather that HP is failing to properly support XP (at least in this one instance).

@peanutsrevenge wrote:

I think this really boils down to a matter of opinion. I do not like what they did with Vista. I don’t like how they changed all the icons in the control panel. I don’t like the bread crumbs bar, I never once used the desktop sidebar. I never used the scrolling option to scroll through all the windows in the taskbar unless it was just for the effect and saying “cool” afterwards.

It’s just the more I used Vista, the more I wished a certain feature acted like XP.

With that said, there are two features that I really enjoyed in Vista. One of them was the ability to make your own partitions right in the operating system. The other feature was the extended support for capturing movies and burning them.

Also, I didn’t think ALL of the cosmetic changes were bad. I liked what they did with the taskbar and the translucent Aero feature and that’s about it. (But I hear you can use the Vista Transformation Pack to get both of those features in XP, haven’t tried it, so I don’t know for sure).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.