This topic contains 63 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  parasti 8 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Stil8
    Participant

Well, PCs are starting to get more powerful… And when SSD technology gets a bit better, (theoretically) thrashing is going to become more performance-friendly and RAM will not be a problem. And from my point of view, modern-day processors should be able to handle >1000px wide maps; or support an AI that will eventually enslave humankind 😯 .

So its only a matter of time…

Thrax
    Participant

@Stil^^8 wrote:

Well, PCs are starting to get more powerful… And when SSD technology gets a bit better, (theoretically) thrashing is going to become more performance-friendly and RAM will not be a problem. And from my point of view, modern-day processors should be able to handle >1000px wide maps; or support an AI that will eventually enslave humankind 😯 .

So its only a matter of time…

Sadly tho, my pc(and many other players) does not magically get
    more powerfull as i use it.. And it’s not likely to get upgraded or
    replaced with the current budget.
    I will continue to build things so they run smooth for me. Which will
    make them run that much smoother for faster users while still being
    usable by those equal to me.

Rodijak
    Participant

hi there ,i noticed one thing be4 i even finish install game…when i try to install, it said that game is already installed and ask me if i want to re-install.i am prety sure that i didnt install 42 beta,so probably it would mess with game i am playing(41.3). Is there a way to install beta without erasing old version?

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@rodijak wrote:

Is there a way to install beta without erasing old version?

you need to put it in its own folder, otherwise itll overwrite. itll still replace your start menu shortcuts, but thats easy enough to fix.

@thrax wrote:

…while still being usable by those equal to me.

all 3 of them. one is rommels mother, one is a tibetan mountain villiage elder, and the third is the guy in the development forum trying to get the game ported to his iphone.

look, i made you a pretty picture:[attachment=0:oenuug1j]graphics.png[/attachment:oenuug1j]

its funny ’cause its true. no im not joking! dude, youre not a representative sample. buy new hardware, seriously. ebay it, pinch it from a skip, send away to/from canadia. there are people around who would pay you to take computers away that have higher spec graphics cards. a radeon 9200 is not appropriate for games, and you shouldnt expect any 2009 game to allow for it!

Viking62
    Participant

Hey Thrax (serious look),
    *Moved to PM*

yusuf
    Participant

with a new release i would expect a new interface.. i think thats the thing that no one has bothered to change since the very first release .. so here is what we could do .. in this case i have changed the look of the wind panel .. iam working on the rest currently ,,

Stil8
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

its funny ’cause its true. no im not joking! dude, youre not a representative sample. buy new hardware, seriously. ebay it, pinch it from a skip, send away to/from canadia. there are people around who would pay you to take computers away that have higher spec graphics cards. a radeon 9200 is not appropriate for games, and you shouldnt expect any 2009 game to allow for it!

Well if he can manipulate software to run well with gfx cards from the dark ages, then I think that’s pretty good PC workmanship…Now that resources are 100x more readily available, many beginner programmers and software developers don’t take the time to make their programs resource friendly…

I consider s3d to be fairly friendly with resources, as I have been playing it on a 5 year old desktop PC with a corrupted XP OS that has not been reinstalled since the removal of a 1 year long virus infection. And it plays well!!! Stable FPS and all that. 😀 You rock, Gavin…

I consider Vista to be the biggest resource hog of all time: even without Aero it takes up 45-50% of the total RAM, kills the HDD and causes the CPUs to overheat…God, no wonder Vista PCs always break down early-they get worn out the day they are turned on. 😈 Every big organization has to fall one day, Microsoft…it happened to the Romans, the Byzantines, the Soviets, the Nazis and the USA.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@yusuf wrote:

with a new release i would expect a new interface.. i think thats the thing that no one has bothered to change since the very first release .. so here is what we could do .. in this case i have changed the look of the wind panel .. iam working on the rest currently ,,

Looks nice, very clean.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@thrax wrote:

@Stil^^8 wrote:

@peanutsrevenge wrote:

The graphics re-calc for deformation is rather annoying

Doesn’t bother me at all, I barely even notice anything…
    I do notice the performance change tho…not that much on my PC, but it
    works slightly better.

I’d have to say this is the best freeware game of the TB Tank-shooting genre.

If laptops is right, we’d better brace ourselves for the attack of the colossal heightmaps 😀

The capablity is there, but there are still limits to the players processing
    power.. I’ve done the same tests and found that even in the new code
    method, an over-large landscape is going to slow things down again.

Having dirt all the way to the horizon is likely something only a very
    powerfull pc could handle. However, setting it 2-4x larger than the
    play-field is reasonable. With the right landform, it would look
    about the same as gavin’s earlier randomized surround while being
    seamless with the play-field.

Well that’s pretty much as good as it gets now. If you make no water levels it may be a bit faster. I guess I could also change the land scale so its 1/2 as detailed (the heightmap) but 2x as big for example.

Hiob
    Participant

What about a cloaking device in this version?

yusuf
    Participant

alright iam glad u liked it gavin.. here is the completed new interface … please tell me if u want to see some corrections …

other than that , i dont see the logo that i had posted earlier being used anywhere in the new version.. arent u gonna use it ?

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

i agree. i wasnt suggesting the game shouldnt be scaleable. of course, it should, the more the better. im just saying that somewhere, a line should be drawn.

keep it scaleable (variable level of detail/draw distance, whatever), but please dont hold up game graphics overall. we must move with the times.

its a 3d game, and we should expect people to have 3d capable graphics cards.

@Stil^^8 wrote:

Well if he can manipulate software to run well with gfx cards from the dark ages, then I think that’s pretty good PC workmanship…Now that resources are 100x more readily available, many beginner programmers and software developers don’t take the time to make their programs resource friendly…

yusuf
    Participant

i cant deny i love the way the landscapes look laptop, and that obviously would be a great addition to this version …. it dosent make sense (to me) that with every new version, there are only a few changes that are very scarcely visible. Its like a software , iTunes 8.000931, iTunes 8.000932. The only difference a normal user can see is the version name ..

Id like to see the change laptop mentioned .. and i dont see the logo i posted either .. have u decided not to use it ?

as for the interface, if u want the demo here is the zip … unzip it in your windows folder and replace the files ..

One more thing i changed is the player panel .. i have replaced those ugly icons with simple alphabet initials of the function .. see screenshot .. tell me if u think its ok

Hiob
    Participant

Try keeping one color for those letters or 3d symbols…

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@yusuf wrote:

i cant deny i love the way the landscapes look laptop, and that obviously would be a great addition to this version ….
    One more thing i changed is the player panel .. i have replaced those ugly icons with simple alphabet initials of the function .. see screenshot .. tell me if u think its ok

I think the “new look” works well for the wind but I am not sure about the player panel. That still needs some work as I think it looks less polished than before.

Sorry can you post a like to the new logo.

Also for the icons, I think the meanings of the icons are more obvious, especially across other languages. They could be more stylized if we want though.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 65 total)

The forum ‘news’ is closed to new topics and replies.