This topic contains 10 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Deathstryker 13 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Deathstryker
    Participant

I like this version. I was worried at first that loading times and FPS may have taken a nose dive with the trees and advanced GUI’s but it hasn’t and I definitely like the more refined GUI’s.

One thing I’d still like to see is the game keeping your default refresh rate as I hate 60hz. I think it’s only a prob on nVidia cards though. But anyway not a big deal as I can use a program called RefreshForce that will keep your Refresh rate for games like Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Those that are interested about it go here:

http://www.pagehosting.co.uk/rf/

Another thing- there’s a typo on the console window: “Start a single or multi-player player game”. Chances are no one will notice since they are so used to clicking those buttons without reading them. (Unless they read this thread).

But anyway, you know you’ve made a good version when those are the only two things I can find (at the moment) to bring to your attention. Not really anything to write a fix for. Anyway, thanks for releasing version 37
    Gavin. It’s a nice advancement.

PS- Feel free to post your comments on Version 37 here on my thread guys.
    Keep the forums cleaner!

Anonymous
    Participant

yay…. its not too bad at all ❗

dracon23
    Participant

Congrats Gavin!

Well, overall I give it a ‘great’ rating. There are a few things that I like and don’t like. The most important thing that I like is the new tanks. There are a few in there that are just awesome, especially the “Death” tank 😈 . Also along the same lines is the larger tank sizes in the game. It seems to me as if the tanks are a bit larger and easier to see.
    I really like the trees and waves that you have added. They give it a really nice touch.

There is one thing that I am however unhappy about is the ‘change’ noted for the coordinates. I liked to use the window to note the -/+ of the different coordinate changes and that is nolonger there. I finally figgured out that you had to look at the tank as you changed the coordinates but I would rather have it in the window.

Well, after I play it some more I will give you guys more feedback.

dracon23

Ps. For those of you who are interested I have reprogrammed the custom weapon called “Hornet’s nest” which was created by Fever for V36. It took a while but I finished and if any are interested in adding to their arsenal it works great!

rzaleski81
    Participant

Hey guys,
    I haven’t checked the posts lately, but when I got the notice the games was updated I had to check it out. The UI looks allot slicker, very nice. I can’t wait to get my pendrive replaced so I can go ahead and play it at home.

Ebonite
    Participant

@dracon23 wrote:

There is one thing that I am however unhappy about is the ‘change’ noted for the coordinates. I liked to use the window to note the -/+ of the different coordinate changes and that is nolonger there. I finally figgured out that you had to look at the tank as you changed the coordinates but I would rather have it in the window.

I agree with dracon23 about this feature. I have discovered that I make most of my adjustments when not looking at my tank, but instead when examining the target area. I can guess how much I want to change it, but I usually can’t see the actual change since the tank is not on-screen, and the “+/- change” bar on the tank disappears before I can zoom back to it.

Tom
    Participant

Has anyone else had trouble trying to change the buy timer?

I tried to change it in the server.xml file but it still only allows 35 seconds

to buy & set parachutes & shields…

Thanks

Tom

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@[PDX]Ebonite² wrote:

@dracon23 wrote:

I agree with dracon23 about this feature. I have discovered that I make most of my adjustments when not looking at my tank, but instead when examining the target area. I can guess how much I want to change it, but I usually can’t see the actual change since the tank is not on-screen, and the “+/- change” bar on the tank disappears before I can zoom back to it.

Ive fixed this in CVS, I may release a point release with a fix in it soon.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@tom wrote:

Has anyone else had trouble trying to change the buy timer?

I tried to change it in the server.xml file but it still only allows 35 seconds
    to buy & set parachutes & shields…

The modified server.xml file is now found in your home directory.
    ~/.scorched3d – unix
    c:documents and settingsusername.scorched3d – windows
    All the files under the scorched3d directory are now read only.
    Is this the server.xml file you are changing?

Also have you tried changing via the gui.
    You can also now set it via the menu when the server is running.

Ebonite
    Participant

After playing with v37 far a few days now, I’d just like to say “Good Job!” to the team. This is an impressive improvement over 36.2, and while I am decidedly happy with the current version, I can only imagine (and salivate over) the great things that will come with future versions.

The graphics are superb. Thank you for cleaning up the explosions, smoke, and mushroom clouds, the game runs noticeably smoother (at least on my machine), particularly when there’s a lot going on in the screen. The trees add tons to the atmosphere, and in a few cases, if there weren’t player arrows, I wouldn’t have seen a few bots hiding in the trees at the start. The waves look much better than the foam and do much to reduce the “playing in a wading pool” feel of previous versions. I especially like how they are relevant to the wind direction and fade out when local shoreline disappears.

The additional tank models are a treat, and like somebody else said, Death is my new favorite. 😈 Would it be possible to place the Random selction in each sub-catagory as well? Say, for instance, I want to give a player a tank type vehicle, but don’t particularly care which one, I could select Random Tank and not have them end up with a tower instead. Just an idea… 🙄

Love the different island types! Gotta use different strategies on different terrain, and it’s giving me a chance (and a reason) to try out different weapons and defences. Having mentioned weapons, I have to say I’m in love with those rollers. They come in handy when trying to nail someone on a reverse slope in heavy wind. Nice touch on the “ski-jumping” out of craters (sent them all right over an opposing tank once) and rolling around even under water. (On a “mini-islands” map I tried to drop them on one bot, but missed and they all rolled into the ocean. Thinking they were gone like naplam when it hits water, I began plotting my next shot and saw a nearby island disintegrate. Whoa. Cool!) Could you maybe add a small “spalsh” sound when they roll into water? Not really important, but it might be a good reminder of what’s going on.

The text is all much easier read with the new font, though the victory screen text is slightly distorted, probably due to size or scaling. The ability to relocate the sub-windows is nice, although I like them default. I like the additional info available, as well, with the exception of the adjustments being removed and appended to the tank, already mentioned above. I do miss, however, the camera arrow which pointed exactly at the point the camera view was centered on. I found it made tracking your shot in the “weapon view” much easier and exact (tracing along in the top-down camera-view sub-window to see if you directly fly over targets) not to mention quickly identifying the camera location when looking at similar terrain features, like mini-islands, at a medium distance.

Oh, I would like to mention that it looks kind of funny when you naplam a forest and all the blackened stumps cast full, leafy shadows on the ground. I’m sure Gavin set it up so that “tree” casts “tree_shadow”, but if someone gets all caught up on the project, maybe they could add “stump_shadows” or something. 😉

Great game guys!

And if you want to read more, you’ll have to buy the book… 😛

Deathstryker
    Participant

Yeah, I forgot to say some of the other new features I like. I like the secondary camera view with shot cam. I use it all the time now. The waves also add a bit more life to this game. The islands maps are cool too. I enjoy knocking out the land around the enemy tanks until they fall into the ocean :twisted:. Can’t wait for a caverns environment.

Good job guys. Definitely one step forward.

Ebonite
    Participant

ooh! I forgot to mention I like the secondary explosions when a tank blows up. The smoke starts pouring out and you see the little random flickers before it disapates.

Deathstryker
    Participant

One thing I haven’t noticed though, that was in the TODO list, was the laser death effect. Is it not in this version or am I just missing it?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.