This topic contains 66 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  .–.ShoCkwaVe.–. 9 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

sounds like a plan.

not sure if i’m gonna have time to prepare a non-half-assed map myself : )

be nice to think the two i uploaded might be useful as starting modders’ guides to modding.

been there, washed the t-shirt, dropped sauce on it, washed it again, grew out of it…

bought the jacket

looking forward to seeing the other entries

Thrax
    Participant

Well, it’s been a month already and gotten off to a slow start here.
    Either we were thinking too large by making more than 1 catagory, or
    we over-estemated the curiosity of S3d players. Whatever the case, I
    feel it’s only propper to let someone other than LT have a chance to
    enter…

The competition is now extended. To an almost-open-ended time untill
    a reasonable ammount of entries are in the mod. However, as there are
    already 2, it will not be completely unlimited.

I may also be forced to reduce the catagories and have all maps
    compared by player results. Having 5 maps and 5 catagories
    wouldn’t really be much of a vote..

LT submitted his using all BMP, taking up a lot of the allowed size in a
    few textures. More complex entries are possible with a little time and
    practice, so don’t limit yourselves before you even start.

Let us know who is interested, and if you need advice in any specific
    area.. the forums are here to help. The wiki isn’t complete but dev’s
    would likely know the answers. Only after we’re asked, can we know
    what’s missing from the Docs.

KTM Rider
    Participant

Good to see thats its being extended. Perhaps the Map competition should change into a evolution grounds for maps. Where modders can submit their maps and work together to better map modding as a whole. With a healthy bit of competition thrown in to keep it interesting.

Perhaps if the idea catches, maps can become as important as mods themselves…. with their own sub-forum. How flexible is Scorched with maps?

Hmm…. A Map Mod? Once a map is decided that it is worthy, it’s uploaded to the mod?

Thrax
    Participant

@KTM Rider wrote:

Hmm…. A Map Mod? Once a map is decided that it is worthy, it’s uploaded
    to the mod?

Worthy or not, All submitted maps for the comp are being added to the
    GalleryMod for display and voting. The Original submit packages are
    also kept secure and intact.

If it’s requested already, I can start hosting that server anytime with
    only 2 custom maps in it..

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@thrax wrote:

LT submitted his using all BMP, taking up a lot of the allowed size in a
    few textures. More complex entries are possible with a little time and
    practice, so don’t limit yourselves before you even start.

Thrax,

I question your understanding of the way textures and texture compression work.

What’s the point in using anything other than bmp files?

*edited because i was making a dick of myself.

Rommel
    Participant

Ok, I’ve got a question:
    @thrax wrote:

… The wiki isn’t complete but dev’s would likely know the answers. Only after we’re asked, can we know what’s missing from the Docs.

Could the developers PLEASE read over the Wiki and take the time to update the sections that need to be updated now? There, I think that should cover all the bases if the answer is yes.

I will have the server up soon. Krieg ohne Hass

Sincerely,

Generalfeldmarschall Erwin J. E. Rommel

Rommel
    Participant

No answer yet eh? Hmmmmmm.

@rommel wrote:

Ok, I’ve got a question:
    @thrax wrote:

… The wiki isn’t complete but dev’s would likely know the answers. Only after we’re asked, can we know what’s missing from the Docs.

Could the developers PLEASE read over the Wiki and take the time to update the sections that need to be updated now? There, I think that should cover all the bases if the answer is yes.

If the answer is no, and it seems unconscienable to me that it would be; then I will try to find time to make indivdual public posts that properly address ALL of the issues required to get this topic out of the way. Once again … A big THANK YOU to Mr. Robert Hand (bobirov) for the most excellent job of updating the Wiki recently and I wish you good luck with the rest of the team.

I strongly suspect that like the most of us, they are Scorched3D addicts and are simply havinng a hard time stopping long enough to get their updates completed. 😯 Totally understandable, but perhaps a good rule of thumb should be that the docs must be updated prior to the release of a new version or subsequent update. No playtime until you finsish your chores. Sound familiar? 😛

I will have the server up soon. Krieg ohne Hass

Sincerely,

Generalfeldmarschall Erwin J. E. Rommel

The AI
    Participant

Nice idea, but the wrong place, move it to the split with the rest of the wiki conversation.

This is for maps, not laying blame about the wiki’s not being completed.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@rommel wrote:

Ok, I’ve got a question:
    @thrax wrote:

Being pretty much the person the puts the functionality in (with a few exceptions) I guess I am to blame. When I get time I am also updaing the wiki. I am particularly bad for not documenting things, not my forte, sorry for that.

I would like to point out that it is a wiki though, so once people find out things and learn how to do them (not just devs) they can help out by adding this info to the wiki. Not trying to push off the responsibility, just a suggestion.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

As its a privately editable wiki, why not have a wiki thread for people to post info in and just havea couple of people collate it to be added by the appropriate people (or just get them to colate it)??

Would let other people help to contribute to your fine work?

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

ok, i spoke to thrax in merge, i have something to add regarding textures and appropriate file formats.

we agree that png textures are pointless.

lossy jpeg is the issue.

if you check the 1024×1024 bmp texture enhance.bmp in the hedron map i uploaded, you’ll find when compressed lz style, it’s half the size of a lossy encoded jpeg.
    that’s not an accident.

you should not assume that lossy textures will be smaller in file size.

uncompressed (ie bmp) textures are the format to use wherever mod upload bandwidth isn’t at a premium.

jpegs in practice: the detail texture seems to negate the problem of artefacts to some extent.

i would assume there’s some overhead in expanding (decoding?) jpeg textures to video ram, but thrax has half convinced me. jpeg may be worth considering in some circumstances.

*edited again – ive removed the annoyed and/or intoxicated nonsense.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

**edited

Irishbandit
    Participant

This was my try at map making. Unzipped it is 4.4 MG

Thrax
    Participant

@irishbandit wrote:

This was my try at map making. Unzipped it is 4.4 MG

Definatley a valid entry. Good job Irish. I’ll add it to the Gallery Mod shortly.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

very nice. that would have my vote so far. : ) retro.

there’s a gallery mod? nice to see another entry.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 68 total)

The forum ‘news’ is closed to new topics and replies.