This topic contains 16 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  BOY 10 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

hobbesme
    Participant

The Buy Window dialog prematurely closes if the player presses the ‘Enter’/
    ‘Return’ key when this dialog appears regardless of whether the Buy Window dialog is “in focus”.

Although this annoyance was identified & removed in a previous version, I only recently observed this user interface bug when using the ‘Enter’ key to open the player chat prompt. (‘Enter’ is now a default key entered in the ‘keys.xml’ file to player chat.) Thus, when the Buy Window dialog appears, I have accidentally closed it by pressing ‘Enter’ in order to chat.

I propose that the Buy Window dialog (and ALL game dialogs) must NOT be closed or game actions taken based on keyboard presses but ONLY through
    mouse-clicked dialog buttons.

Thrax
    Participant

deleted- due to no-one give’s a hoot.

Willis
    Participant

I propose that the Buy Window dialog (and ALL game dialogs) must NOT be closed or game actions taken based on keyboard presses but ONLY through mouse-clicked dialog buttons.

Yeah I can see how that gets annoying. Especially when your typing and you think everything is O.K. But then you accidentally close the buy window or (not the enter button BUT..) accidentally fire a projectile without aiming.

But for what times this bites me too, I like being able to just hit ENTER and be done with it. So maybe disable on buy screen only? Or an option in the settings?

cbx550f
    Participant

Note: I edited my keys.xml over two years ago and placed the file in my $HOME/.scorched3d/ directory, and none of these changes have ever affected me. Smile

Plus I keep my settings like CTRL-R for resigning! Very Happy

cbx

hobbesme
    Participant

@thrax wrote:

deleted- due to no-one give’s a hoot.

OK. Fine. I can live with it & be careful if no one else thinks it’s a big deal.
    😛 to you too 🙄 😆

@willis wrote:

maybe disable on buy screen only? Or an option in the settings?

I’d be OK with either of these solutions.

@cbx550f wrote:

Note: I edited my keys.xml over two years ago … I keep … CTRL-R for resigning! Very Happy

I edited my keys.xml file so that every other key besides aim, fire, chutes, shields, or chat is for resigning!

BOY
    Participant

I’d like to be able to bring back the buy screen. Being able to recall the buy screen should be allowed so long as one other player is still buying.

hobbesme
    Participant

@boy wrote:

I’d like to be able to bring back the buy screen. Being able to recall the buy screen should be allowed so long as one other player is still buying.

This suggestion makes the most sense. Forget about modifying code to eliminate the possiblities of closing the Buy Window — just allow the Buy Window to be re-opened if others are still buying.

Great idea, BOY!

NP-TheOutlaw
    Participant

yup!!!

it happens to me a lot, and I’m not sure how I’m doing it, but I’m sure it has something to do when I’m chatty after the round ends.

the only upside to missing the buy is “The Interest”

so i find myself resisting to chat until after I buy which really suxs when a good joke opportunity comes up.

great idea BOY

Willis
    Participant

In the past I probably said nah thats the price you pay… but honestly the idea is sounding pretty good.

Shotzo
    Participant

@np-theoutlaw wrote:

yup!!!

it happens to me a lot, and I’m not sure how I’m doing it, but I’m sure it has something to do when I’m chatty after the round ends.

the only upside to missing the buy is “The Interest”

so i find myself resisting to chat until after I buy which really suxs when a good joke opportunity comes up.

great idea BOY

Use the console.
    It takes priority over all keystrokes. (Such a hog.)

cbx550f
    Participant

@boy wrote:

Nooo!!!!!

Next thing you know we’ll be able to recall hitting space.

Done is done. I LIKE it when I close the buy when I shouldn’t have – it makes me say “Damn you cbx, you bastage!” 😀

This is a turn based game, one of decisions, if you decide, it is DONE, IMO.

However, if “done” is happening unintentionally, that should be fixed.

Galldarnit, I was going to quote something, but some bastage deleted his post! (wth was with that?)

Wait:

Quote:
    I propose that the Buy Window dialog (and ALL game dialogs) must NOT be closed or game actions taken based on keyboard presses but ONLY through mouse-clicked dialog buttons.

PLEASE no. I use the numpad enter with my mousing thumb all the time. If I’m the only one, I’ll concede. 😉

Just to be directly on topic: Should we simply get rid of the “Enter key” binding for opening the chat?

hobbesme
    Participant

@cbx550f wrote:

Just to be directly on topic: Should we simply get rid of the “Enter key” binding for opening the chat?

This can already be done by removing the ‘Enter’ key for ‘Chat’ from your ‘keys.xml’.

cbx550f
    Participant

@hobbesme wrote:

@cbx550f wrote:

This can already be done by removing the ‘Enter’ key for ‘Chat’ from your ‘keys.xml’.

But I was implying, “Should the default be changed” 😉

BOY
    Participant

it makes me say “Damn you cbx, you bastage!”

I say that alot too, odd.

NP-TheOutlaw
    Participant

okay it happened again, 3 times today! (in 2 games)

I made sure I wasn’t chatting or accidently hitting return or space bar in order to rule out those scenarios.

this time I paid attn to what I was doing and this is what I gathered.

background: Everytime a buy screen comes on, the first thing I do is with my mouse, I click and hold on the buy screen and slide it to the right a little, so I can see whose around my area. It seems when I let go of the mouse, the buy-screen goes bye-bye too.

something peculiar to add is that it seems to be happening only while the POP-UP message “NP’s Move” is being displayed. I never payed much attn to this message and noticed it doesnt quite stay on for the entire 30sec buy time.

If I delay sliding over the Buy-Screen until the message “NP’s Move” has gone away, then I dont seem to lose the Buy-Screen.

that’s it for now.

any ideas?

thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.