This topic contains 44 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  BOY 10 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

hobbesme
    Participant

I’m very disappointed to announce that Scorched3D V40 requires more CPU power than my current system is able to provide. 🙁 😥 😡 #-o

Just a few weeks ago, I had to entirely restore my 4-year-old DELL Inspiron 8200 after a hard drive failure. Thus, I have a completely restored, clean, WinXP SP2 install with updated drivers.

But after installing Scorched3D V40, I attempted to enter the Beginners Server with default settings — & my client took 12+ minutes to load the first board. I could hear people texting. If they were unable to play because the game was waiting for me, they were probably cursing me & I apologize.

So far, the only settings that I can reasonably run the game is at 320×240 resolution. At that resolution the game runs fine even if all settings are configured for maximum settings.

But it’s freakin’ only 320×240 ❗ ❗

As I increase the resolution setting, the game gets increasingly intolerable to load & play. And it doesn’t matter if I disable ALL detail settings — water, sky, birds, ships, OpenGL, etc. The game load time is still abominable & the slow keyboard & mouse response is equally terrible.

I am so horribly disappointed to discover that I will no longer be able to play Scorched3D. I know my laptop is 4 years old but it is by no means the slowest machine in the world. That I was able to play V39 but V40 seems to require more than 10 times the resources that V39 required is disappointing.

Please forgive me if I come off as SUPER, SUPER disappointed.

Farewell — at least in the game.

I’ll still visit the forums to mope & whine.
    _

Deathstryker
    Participant

That’s odd because a few of us testing it actually noticed a performance increase hobbes.

Are you sure you got updated vid card drivers from the manufacture and not windows update?

Thrax
    Participant

May be just your OS…

I host 5 servers and play the game on a pent2/athlon/550,
    Windows98SE, a 32mb Nvidea mx400, with 390mb ram.

i play windowed or FS at 800×600. details at med settings, simple water,
    and no ambiance or bird sounds.

It run’s reasonably well, and only seem’s to lag out if i’m trying to host 3
    servers and play also.

I personally refuse to install XP. i do not believe a person should
    require min pIII w/ 512ram and 4gig’s to simply run the operating
    system.

hobbesme
    Participant

@deathstryker wrote:

Are you sure you got updated vid card drivers from the manufacture and not windows update?

No, I did use windows update, but the driver version & version date is the same as I had prior to my restoring my laptop so I assume its the same driver.

@thrax wrote:

May be just your OS…

Although I actually like XP, I know what you’re intimating. However, I am comparing my experience with V40 to my experience with V39, V38, V37 on the same machine with the same WinXP SP2 OS.

So unless my recent WinXP rebuild is horribly configured, I have to suspect that V40 requires more than my laptop can give.

What I may try doing is uninstalling V40 & reinstalling V39 to see if I get the same performance with V39 that I previously experienced. If no, then it very well may be my recent WinXP rebuild. But if yes, then I know it’s not my laptop but that V40 requires MUCH MORE power than my laptop can provide. Which will make me cry.

Deathstryker
    Participant

Good call…

I just reinstalled Win XP SP2 on my other comp and the performance seemed to have taken a nose dive on it as well…. The hard drive loads tons on it so it has much longer load times. I dunno what it is. It’s been defragged and everything. Uninstalled and reinstalled all my startup programs as well. The only thing left to try is uninstalling those last set of Windows security updates. Sometimes those things can be buggy. I remember one of them ruining the graphics in the game Black and White one time, heheh.

hobbesme
    Participant

@deathstryker wrote:

@hobbesme wrote:

No, I did use windows update, but the driver version & version date is the same as I had prior to my restoring my laptop so I assume its the same driver.

Deathstryker, heterosexual or not, I would kiss you if I could!

Shhhhhhmmmmwaaaa! 😛 😯 😛 😳 😛 😆 😛 😀 😛

You were right & I was wrong about my graphics drivers.

@hobbesme wrote:

What I may try doing is uninstalling V40 & reinstalling V39 to see if I get the same performance with V39 that I previously experienced. If no, then it very well may be my recent WinXP rebuild. But if yes, then I know it’s not my laptop but that V40 requires MUCH MORE power than my laptop can provide. Which will make me cry.

After uninstalling V40, installing V39, I discovered that V39 had similarly crappy performance — although not NEARLY as bad as V40.

So I installed my video drivers from my backed-up set of drivers from DELL — & voila! V39 & subsequently V40 work perfectly!

HOORAY!! YAY!! YIPPEE!! WOO HOO!!

See you all in the game!

[OK now I have — Player’s Server here I come!]
    _

Ebonite
    Participant

Crappit. I was hoping to avoid getting pwn3d by a gay tiger this version.

Willis
    Participant

😆

Yeh scorched does run more heavy.. in fact if your processor gets too work loaded and your window of choice is NOT scorched, you run the risk of being kicked out.

But it’s glad to hear your not forced into an early retirment without me to blame.. no wait come to think of it isn’t everything my fault anyway? 😈

hobbesme
    Participant

@willis wrote:

Yeh scorched does run more heavy.. in fact if your processor gets too work loaded and your window of choice is NOT scorched, you run the risk of being kicked out.

Which I just discovered while I came to read the forum after being killed in a round. No sooner had I read this than I noticed that the game had quit & brought up an “unexpected termination” error dialog.

Wow. What a CPU freak!

But I am VERY glad that Deathstryker pointed me in the right direction to double-check my video driver settings.

Thanks, DS!

hobbesme
    Participant

Duh.

Now that I’ve played V40 :

Wowowowowowow!

Boats, sailboats, naval ships, submarines.

Shields, mag shields, glowing shields.

That’s I’ve got so far, but wow.

GeorgineVJ
    Participant

Didn’t *I* ask you if you updated your video drivers?????????!?!?!!!

Sheesh. Tiger trainers always know what to do next. Tigers never listen. 😀

cbx550f
    Participant

@georginevj wrote:

Didn’t *I* ask you if you updated your video drivers?????????!?!?!!!

Sheesh. Tiger trainers always know what to do next. Tigers never listen. 😀

ROFL!

Something tells me I know who this is!

Hiya Mrs. 😉

cbx

*Moderator note* All that follows is off-topic. Fun, but off topic. – cbx */moderator note*

GeorgineVJ
    Participant

Hiya! *wave*

I used to play Scorched Earth WAY back in high school and shortly after. Until about 1995, as a matter of fact.

Scorched 3D is so completely awesome! Maybe I’ll learn how to properly install on my MBPro and come in and kick some tiger butt. I’m not much of a gamer, but I’ve kicked tiger butt at Advanced Civ a couple times…

Thanks for the warm greetings!

cbx550f
    Participant

@georginevj wrote:

Scorched 3D is so completely awesome!

Hobbes, on the off chance that you weren’t aware of this:
    She’s a keeper!

The Maybe I’ll learn how to properly install on my MBPro and come in and kick some tiger butt. I’m not much of a gamer

Don’t worry, neither is Hobbes,

Thanks for the warm greetings!

Thank YOU! When I saw the post I almost fell off my chair! 😀

btw, just so I know:

GeorgineVJ, Gay Tiger Trainer

Is that like “Gay Tiger trainer”, or “Gay Tiger Trainer”? 😛

GeorgineVJ
    Participant

That’s gonna be gay tiger trainer. Just to clear things up.

And probably only until the tiger wakes up and sees this post. Since the gay tiger thing will be kind of an inside joke after the post goes away…

I’ll probably hang out here once in a while. There’s a lot of awesome personalities here (I’ve been lurking for a year or so).

*swoon* It’s so nice feeling welcome!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.