This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  fab4 12 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Anonymous
    Participant

Any idea when it will be available for download? Im not having any luck building it.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Try here:-
    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/scorched3d/Scorched3D-38-macosx.tar.gz?download

Make sure you have X11 running before starting.
    I have not had the chance to test yet, let me know how you get on.

fab4
    Participant

Version 38 (bb) for OSX works great. I played a few rounds on the Scorched3d server and the Shockwave 1.1 mod – works fine. Thanks for porting it to OSX.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

No worries 🙂
    Its a little bit harder than the other ports as I don’t have access to mac os x machine, so I have to use console access provided by sourceforge.

fab4
    Participant

Your work is appreciated – Scorched 3D is the most often played free game I own. I’ll definitely be making a contribution thru PayPal – maybe eventually you’ll be able to get your own OSX machine.

I do have one suggestion for the OSX version – how about including some basic instructions on how to install the game with Terminial or X11. Most OSX users wouldn’t know what to do with a command line if they saw one. I’ve posted a forum message on http://www.insidemacgames.com noting version 38 release along with there simple installation instructions (paraphrased from Wallyfoo’s instructions to me):

download the file and place it in your Documents folder

at the command line (Terminal or X11) type:

cd /documents

tar xzf scorched3d-38-macosx.tar.gz

If you have an old version of Scorched3d already installed, then rename it by typing:

sudo mv /usr/local/games/scorched3d-bin /usr/local/games/scorched3d-bin.old

To move the file you downloaded and unpacked into the proper directory, type:

sudo mv scorched3d-bin /usr/local/games/

To launch the game, from X11 type:

cd /usr/local/games/scorched3d-bin

./scorched3d

Anonymous
    Participant

Sheesh!… can not get this one to run….

When I try to move the file I get the following:

sudo mv scorched3d-bin/usr/local/games/

usage: mv [-f | -i | -n] [-v] source target
    mv [-f | -i | -n] [-v] source … directory

did this move the file to the right place? I then type the next two steps and it says: ./scorched3d: No such file or directory

Any ideas?
    😕

fab4
    Participant

You typed the mv line in wrong – there’s supposed to be a single space between bin and /usr

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.