This topic contains 43 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  PeanutsRevenge 3 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chopper
    Participant

nice rig there AW,

Hell, the credit cards in Europe with the chip things are way more secure.

but Pnuts right, crypto is the future. I’m an old fart and even I can see that. You’ll be paying your light bill in a different way.

In 20 years everything will be different… and I’ll be 82…playing Scorch on my air screen and virtual finger mouse beating the ever lovin’ crap out of you weiners. =D>

Hyde911
    Participant

@chopper wrote:

In 20 years everything will be different… and I’ll be 82…playing Scorch on my air screen and virtual finger mouse beating the ever lovin’ crap out of you weiners. =D>

Just before a nurse changes your diaper.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@hyde911 wrote:

@chopper wrote:

Just before a nurse changes your diaper.

Well, I doubt Mrs Chop would. At least, I hope not.
    “I told you drinking all those stoli’s would mess you up you old bastage and keep hands to yourself with that nurse”.

And of course you can see it Chop, you’ve looked into it. Everyone that takes the time to look into it can see it’s not going to just go away. It’s just a lot to learn if you’re not invested in it.

BOY
    Participant

Hey guys!

HEY ArWr!

Not to spam your thread, but I will take time to read it at some point here soon. I wanted to drop you a line and update you on my project for the “shop class”.

Rich kid at the little school where we send the kids is wanting to build a gaming machine on a $650 budget and he wants to play BF4. This includes his peripherals and monitor. Geez.

Well, here is the low budget build I made without perpherals….

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/gcha8e/saved/3SCf

I have to lowball even that.

I figure I will get a used case and used or refurbished monitor of ebay to reduce prices… but still, I don’t know how he will play BF4 with any sense of quality or competition with $650.

I told him to sell some of his stuff. Will update soon. 😀

😛

(And yes, I want to introduce him to scorched if I can)

ArmorWraith
    Participant

650$ huh? That is not going to get him far, at least not at a competitive level. I had an athlon II quad and I still had issues, even with a nvidia 660ti gfx card.

If you can, see if he can score the mouse, monitor, keyboard, etc from friends or family, perhaps he has his own hd tv at home? Use that as a monitor.

Seems like a major task ahead ahah.

Cheers,

Armor

BOY
    Participant

Okay, he got an extra hundred for his bday. The new overall budget is now 800. What do you think of this build? http://pcpartpicker.com/user/gcha8e/saved/3V7p

I think I could save more on the motherboard. Do u see any issues with cooling and that micro tax case?

He does have a tv, but not where he could use it for the game much.

ArmorWraith
    Participant

You know, I hate to say it, but for that type of money, he could probably just buy battlefield 4 on playstation4 or xboxone and be super happy. I know the minimum requirements for battlefied seem to be achievable at this budget, but the game will not be up to par with what he expects.

I had an AMD Athlon II 630 propus quad core clocked at 2.8Ghz and the lag made it almost unplayable on low graphics with windowed mode and 75% resolution sampling at 1600×900. I had 8gb of ddr3 ram, and an Nvidia 660ti. The game was not pretty, did not run smoothly, and was generally miserable for me. Only when I installed my new I5 quad at 3.4Ghz did I have a pleasant experience, now there are not stutters or lagging.

What I am saying here, is what is the goal of this project? To learn how to build a pc, or to play battlefield 4? If he wants to play battlefield 4 with only an $800 budget, it is doable, but not recommended. The optimization in that game is quite horrid. The minimum specs only tell part of the story. What he is looking for is the experience. I would recommend the consoles with such a tight budget.

Perhaps you could help him paint his xbox or ps4 in shop class, or modify the controllers?

The limitations on upgrades on that rig, the cooling, and the hardware just wouldn’t be my choice for a gaming rig.

My recommendation is a console, and new TV. He will enjoy more bang for his buck with that.

Either that, or he can save up and join the fight later with a killer next gen rig.

All the best,

Armor

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

CBA to put time into this (you’re still in my bad books Boy).

Get an A10 7700K or 7850K APU instead of FX CPU to go with that GPU.
    The GPU on the APU and the dedi GPU can work together.

ArmorWraith
    Participant

I would listen to nut’s advice. He usually helps me get the best bang for my buck. It looks like that gfx card paired with onboard can work in a dual state to give you a preformance boost.

In his video, it looks like in crysis 3 on high with that type of setup, you can achieve 28fps. Not bad. But you do have to remember that is average fps, those can dip during heavy action, causing lag and stuttering.

It looks like battlefield 4 runs at 60fps at 720p on the ps4.
    http://wccftech.com/battlefield-4-officially-runs-720p-playstation-4-upscaled-1080p-60-fps/

I have had the chance to see it played on a ps4 and it looks damn good. That was part of the reason for my recent upgrade, I was missing out on a lot of eyecandy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Objaswg-Rw

All the best,

Armor

BOY
    Participant

Thanks dudes….

Bad books? What bad books :mrgreen:

Chopper
    Participant

Watch Craigslist…there’s a lot of gamers on the edge selling perfectly good stuff that would work well for people that don’t have to have triple B-flat double clutching water-cooled mofo of a rig.

In fact that’s how I found my two mSI R7850 Twin Frozr cards and I’m hot on the trail of a msi 7950.

Like PNut…Gots ta’ have the hash man. Here’s my wet dream! I could OWN the pools with this. :mrgreen:

You don’t HAVE to have new.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@peanutsrevenge wrote:

BTW Armor, if you have the money now for the computer stuff, but aren’t in a rush to buy (next month or so) and would like to get the stuff cheap, have a think about buying your upgrade budget’s worth of BitCoins.

The price is really low currently and expected to double (return to where it was) within a month or so TOPS. So if you have $400 now, you could find yourself with $800 to spend instead.

Just wanted to pop a little ‘ner ner’ in here and say you’d have around 50% more money to spend on the upgrades now had you give the above a try.

Ah well, live and learn I hope.

Chopper
    Participant

Yep…the BtC is on the way back up.

BOY
    Participant

@armorwraith wrote:

I don’t really care either way with bitcoin, its just not something im interested in using. Hell I hardly trust my debit card most days. Its a cool notion for sure, just not interested. I like physical money. Same as I like a physical book. Less prone to cyber crime, and something I can examine that has a tangibility factor. I only reluctantly use paypal to purchase online.

My bank tried to set me up with one of those wireless swipe debit cards, that have a little RF transmitter in them, I told them to shove it and give me a plain one. People can tap into those, just by intercepting that RF when passing by. Nothing is ever 100% secure, but having my cash in my pocket would require physical altercation to remove. Hence my preference.

I was anticipating a reinstall for windows, as I just redid that recently to speed up my machine. Shouldnt be a problem, though it will be interesting to see how my steam games react. I have them and origin games installed on my second disk.

Cheers,

Armor

Nut is right though, you’re young, take $50 bucks and put into Bitcoins, when you’re 60 yr old that could be worth tens of millions. 😛

Anyways, to this whole thing. Nut’s advice about saving on CUP and spending the coin on GPU is what I’m trying to do on the kid’s build.

Will post all thoughts shortly. Cheers. Hope your new rig is totally rockin’ sweet, Armor! Your first spec’d out CPU and board were a lot of coin as it is. Crazy PC personz.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@boy wrote:

Nut is right though, you’re young, take $50 bucks and put into Bitcoins, when you’re 60 yr old that could be worth tens of millions. 😛

Please note the :p as that’s not what I said and I certainly don’t believe ‘bitcoins’ will be worth anything at all in 40 years. 2-5, sure, but it will be replaced as the primary digital currency within 5 years.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.