This topic contains 43 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  PeanutsRevenge 3 years, 8 months ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #65952

    ArmorWraith
    Participant

    I actually meant more in the form of wadded paper bills in my wallet.. I would actually prefer gold or silver, but unfortunately I cant waltz into walmart with fresh ore.

    Anyway, when I install the new cpu, will I need to have a clean hard disk? I have two hard disks right now, a primary, and a secondary for game storage and whatnot. I have never installed a new cpu on a pre-existing rig, so I am slightly in the dark on this aspect.

    Guess I could google it, but meh, might as well hear from the experts here eh? Buffs your forum count at least.

    Cheers,

    Armor

    #65950

    PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

    @armorwraith wrote:

    I actually meant more in the form of wadded paper bills in my wallet.. I would actually prefer gold or silver, but unfortunately I cant waltz into walmart with fresh ore.

    Anyway, when I install the new cpu, will I need to have a clean hard disk? I have two hard disks right now, a primary, and a secondary for game storage and whatnot. I have never installed a new cpu on a pre-existing rig, so I am slightly in the dark on this aspect.

    Guess I could google it, but meh, might as well hear from the experts here eh? Buffs your forum count at least.

    Cheers,

    Armor

    Firstly, I put an edit on my previous post while you were posting this, if you wanna check it out (it’s bitcoin/internet related).

    If you were just installing a new CPU in the same mobo then no, you wouldn’t need to do anything other than ‘update windows experience index’ (which you may wanna run now and compare to the new system).

    As you’re changing the motherboard completely and going from AMD chipset to Intel chipset… You MIGHT get away with just uninstalling all the AMD drivers, swapping out the hardware and installing the Intel drivers and it’s worth a shot if you really don’t want the hassle of a clean install) but make sure you’re all backed up (bookmarks, save games, windows Roaming/local folders etc..) because it’s entirely possible you won’t be able to boot to windows.

    However, EXPECT to have to do a complete format and reinstall of C: and it is advisable to avoid any weird conflicts which may arise. It is BEST to do a complete format and reinstall because Windows is lame and loves tripping itself up.
    *nix wouldn’t care much, you can pretty much swap out from a brand new Intel chipset to a 5 year old nVidia chipset to a 10 year old AMD chipset to a new AMD chipset and it’ll just sort out everything out like the good OS it is 🙂

    GL mate.

    #65949

    ArmorWraith
    Participant

    I don’t really care either way with bitcoin, its just not something im interested in using. Hell I hardly trust my debit card most days. Its a cool notion for sure, just not interested. I like physical money. Same as I like a physical book. Less prone to cyber crime, and something I can examine that has a tangibility factor. I only reluctantly use paypal to purchase online.

    My bank tried to set me up with one of those wireless swipe debit cards, that have a little RF transmitter in them, I told them to shove it and give me a plain one. People can tap into those, just by intercepting that RF when passing by. Nothing is ever 100% secure, but having my cash in my pocket would require physical altercation to remove. Hence my preference.

    I was anticipating a reinstall for windows, as I just redid that recently to speed up my machine. Shouldnt be a problem, though it will be interesting to see how my steam games react. I have them and origin games installed on my second disk.

    Cheers,

    Armor

    #65965

    PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

    Then Crypto’s are even more up your street, pseudonymous like cash, can be printed into a physical item, no need to trust anyone in the middle of any transaction. It’s like using cash online.
    If you encrypt your wallet, it doesn’t matter if someone hacks your machine and steals your wallet, you can post your wallet on the net and share the link with as many people as you like, without your encryption key, they can’t spend your money (without managing to crack your password).

    This is important mate especially to the younger generations who often don’t trust corporations etc but trust open source technology.

    Here’s a good video for those with at least a semi technical mind:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx9zgZCMqXE

    Don’t wanna hear any more about it? Don’t respond about Crypto’s and I’ll leave you be 😉

    #65967

    Laptops Daddy
    Participant
    #65968

    PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

    @laptops Daddy wrote:

    http://blockchain.info/charts/market-price
    https://bitcoinaverage.com/charts.htm#USD-averages-all

    you may as well bet on the horses the way it looks to me.

    Having you been following Crypto’s?

    #65969

    Laptops Daddy
    Participant

    @peanutsrevenge wrote:

    Having you been following Crypto’s?

    i dont know what that is.

    i do know that if i put 1,000 $£€ in a bank one week, and found that it was only worth 500 the next, i wouldnt be doing it again.

    if that’s how it works, i think i’d rather play on a slot machine.

    i know all currencies fluctuate, but at least with pounds you know a snickers bar is about 70p. it might be £1 in five years time, but it won’t be 70p in january and £5 three weeks later.

    i admit that i don’t understand very well, therefore scared.

    #65970

    PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

    @laptops Daddy wrote:

    @peanutsrevenge wrote:

    Having you been following Crypto’s?

    i dont know what that is.

    i do know that if i put 1,000 $£€ in a bank one week, and found that it was only worth 500 the next, i wouldnt be doing it again.

    if that’s how it works, i think i’d rather play on a slot machine.

    i know all currencies fluctuate, but at least with pounds you know a snickers bar is about 70p. it might be £1 in five years time, but it won’t be 70p in january and £5 three weeks later.

    i admit that i don’t understand very well, therefore scared.

    But if you put £100 in and a week later you found it was £1,000, you’d be pretty happy.

    Stupid statement == stupid response!

    #65971

    ArmorWraith
    Participant

    Here we are, it came, so I installed it today. Picture is right before I started cable ties, and final ram/hd installation.

    Cheers,

    Armor

    #65972

    Hyde911
    Participant

    @armorwraith wrote:

    Here we are, it came, so I installed it today. Picture is right before I started cable ties, and final ram/hd installation.

    Cheers,

    Armor

    Where’s floppy disk?!

    #65973

    ArmorWraith
    Participant

    Actually used to have one installed. Funny how memory has changed so much. 😛

    Armor

    #65974

    Hyde911
    Participant

    @armorwraith wrote:

    Actually used to have one installed. Funny how memory has changed so much. 😛

    Armor

    Anyway nice PC. Have you overclocked CPU??

    EDIT: And I really encourage you to install SSD (I know they’re still damn expensive), performance boost is HUGE.

    #65975

    ArmorWraith
    Participant

    I am currently looking at a 120gb ssd on newegg, might just make the leap.

    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-EVO-Series-2-5-Inch-MZ-7TE120BW/dp/B00E3W15P0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1393404050&sr=8-2&keywords=ssd

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-147-247

    http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-2-5-Inch-SV300S37A-120G/dp/B00A1ZTZOG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1393404050&sr=8-3&keywords=ssd

    No, I will not overclock this particular cpu, perhaps further down the road. (this is only my second pc build, and I feel the stock cooler might be inadequate)

    A fun safety video I watched before beginning my assembly:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtlYi1yLTVQ

    Cheers,

    Armor

    #65976

    Hyde911
    Participant

    @armorwraith wrote:

    I am currently looking at a 120gb ssd on newegg, might just make the leap.

    I think every SSD will be just fine, look for one with the longest warranty coverage.

    @armorwraith wrote:

    No, I will not overclock this particular cpu, perhaps further down the road. (this is only my second pc build, and I feel the stock cooler might be inadequate)

    I was just curious, although modern CPU are fast enough without oc. But overclocking it’s old habit, I’ll do it even I don’t really need it.

    #65977

    PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

    @hyde911 wrote:

    EDIT: And I really encourage you to install SSD (I know they’re still damn expensive), performance boost is HUGE.

    I agree entirely. SSDs are frickin awesome.
    120GB min, 240GB referable.

    The Samsung Evo’s are awesome drives, by far the best price/performance, but they becoming a bit too powerful in the SSD space.
    Don’t get the Kington SSDNow, they’re old and crappy now.

    Crucial M500s are good, reliable drives. Not the best peak performance, but they’re pretty consistent (for an SSD) or a SanDisk Extreme II for great performance that’s not Samsung.

    Don’t worry too much about warranty, SSDs are far more reliable than HDDs. The nice bit with them, once the max writes have been reached, you can still read the data fine for quite some time after. Drive’s not usable (because you can’t write) but can get data off after it’s had enough, which will likely take SEVERAL years (>5) unless you constantly bombard it with random writes, which you just won’t do!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.