This topic contains 8 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Laptops Daddy 9 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

The Scorched forums have always been home to one or two freakishly skilled pinguine lovers, lurking inconspicuously in darkened corners, plotting conquests and such. Lately we’ve had an influx of cunning new linux users and old school unix types. They’re all over the place, hordes of them, gathering in groups. It’s like Greenpeace at the South Pole.

So I’m wondering, would any of you people like to help with a slightly perverted dual boot fake raid issue I’ve been struggling with for years?

Post a comment to mark your interest, and I’ll elaborate.

Just briefly:

Fake RAID 0 (i.e. BIOS defined Software RAID using matched drives) is integral in almost any high-end home PC.

Windows XP will install and boot from fake RAID without trouble. Linux will not.

What I need is a Windows/Linux dual boot solution, booting from a striped array of two dedicated SATA drives, without resorting to a third drive or other permanent storage for boot.

Yes? Prove your worth?

Ps:
    Don’t give me any bs about linux not using info from the cmos, k?

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

I already sent you the link over a month ago on skype!

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@peanutsrevenge wrote:

I already sent you the link over a month ago on skype!

So you did. Don’t think I’m not grateful, it’s not that simple. And I’m capable of googling myself you know : )

One option here is dmraid. It’s a poorly documented device-mapper script. Seems buggy, and doesnโ€™t work for me. (May be an issue with stripe size).

To elaborate on my own experience with this, I currently use a bash script for device-mapping fake RAID partitions, booting from a third drive.

I’d prefer to use a custom minimalist kernel, without an initial ram drive. (May not be possible). And I’d prefer to avoid any messy hacks and boot errors. E.g. “Access beyond end of drive” messages are bugging me right now.

I’m not interested in Ubuntu, but I’m cool with Debian. (Looks like the current testing Debian release is supposed to support fake RAID installs, so I’ll test it).

So, I can probably do it with enough messing about. I’m looking for a clean option for use on several computers without hours of h4x0ring on each, which really isn’t my thing.

Any elegant solution considered. Edits to metadata? Maybe a Grub patch of some kind? A linux dist I’m not aware of?

kowal
    Participant

duatboot using BIOS-RAID?
    well i’ve been asking around, the guys and gals at #suse said it possible, but not a good idea.

but i’ve done an experiment with software RAID (suse 10.2) at my prev work (about 1 year ago). IIRC i was using raid1 for all my partition (/boot, swap, /, and /home). but i only used it just for a day or two (i think).

just go to #debian or #whateverdistroyouusing, my english not techi enough :p

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@kowal wrote:

#debian or #whateverdistroyouusing…

irc irks me iirc. but ty : )

kowal
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

@kowal wrote:

#debian or #whateverdistroyouusing…

irc irks me iirc. but ty : )

parts of a learning process i think.

don’t walk if you don’t want to fall ๐Ÿ™‚

Viking62
    Participant

I don’t know how to raid yet (have’nt taught meself yet)–But, I do run Puppy Linux (Debian based) only in my corsair 1024mb memory, sometimes, when I need a Linux fix;) Puppy has the ability to save your sessions on a mem stick,Hard drive,etc. Puppy running in memory is the fastest OS I have used *I do have a pile of Linux OS’s on cd* .
    This avenue works great for me with XP installed on my Main HD & I save Puppy sessions to my 160gb slave HD.
    Not exactly raid–But, it is simple for me………Thx for listening to a novice ๐Ÿ˜‰ [I’ll watch this thread & see if I can learn something from the masters]

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

Thanks Viking, I’m grateful for the input. Running an OS entirely from RAM is cool; I have some experience with that (Debian, Win98). Zero access time.

Some linux users seem to struggle with the concept of running Windows/linux side by side. There’s always this silly rivalry.

RAID 0, the advantages in XP are obvious. I’ve been using 2 width striped fake RAID for years – it’s very effective.

I’m not entirely set on matching Windows XP NTFS performance in linux, this is likely impossible with current main-stream file systems. I suppose I really just need easy usable linux*.

How about this concept:

A linux (ext2) disk image stored on an NTFS partition, mounted using the linux loop back device, booted via GRUB for Windows.

http://apcmag.com/5201/install_linux_from_windows

Sounds slow, but it’s an interesting idea.

@viking62 wrote:

I’ll watch this thread & see if I can learn something from the masters

*I’m not one of them. I hate sifting through linux manuals/baby sitting compilers and stuff. Seems totally archaic. But I do need linux style low-level hardware access occasionally, and do need to test websites in linux browsers (among other things).

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

Some linux users seem to struggle with the concept of running Windows/linux side by side. There’s always this silly rivalry.

Thats rich, coming from MR Rivally himself

ATi / Nvidia
    AMD / Intel
    Windows / Linux
    Prob
    M$ / Logitech
    Samsung / NEC
    etc…

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@peanutsrevenge wrote:

Thats rich, coming from MR Rivally himself

…Prob
    M$ / Logitech
    Samsung / NEC
    etc…

no. quality control. not rivalry. not the same thing.

and don’t spam my thread.

ps:
    logitech/nec. no contest.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.