This topic contains 51 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Sih 10 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Simwiz
    Participant

Can you let us know when you have completed the upload?
    Thanks.

Ben Urban
    Participant

I’ve successfully uploaded Scorched3D-40.1d-osx.diff.bz2 and Scorched3D-40.1d-osx.tar.bz2, but my FTP program crashed while it was uploading Scorched3D-40.1d-osx.zip. As you probably know, users do not have permission to replace files already in the upload directory, so I’m not sure what can be done about that. Perhaps a support request?

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Sorry, I got called away and was unable to load the files before they got deleted. Any chance you could upload them again?

Also is there a dmg (or similar) format that novice users could use?

Ben Urban
    Participant

I have uploaded all three files again…sort of.

Again, the first two uploads were successful, but the third one failed:

421 Service not available, remote server timed out. Connection closed
    58775598 bytes sent in 46:58 (20.36 KB/s)

The strange thing is that the file is in fact 58775598 bytes long. It would seem that it did finish the transfer, but it somehow timed out anyway. Unfortunately I can’t download the file directly from that location to make sure it’s complete, but I suspect that it is.

Actually, the ZIP format is easier for Mac users these days than DMG, if it’s done correctly. Instead of downloading, double-clicking the DMG, dragging the .app wherever, unmounting the disk image, and then dragging the DMG to the trash, the user can download, double-click the ZIP, drag the .app wherever, and then drag the ZIP to the trash. As you can see, this saves the step of unmounting the disk image.

Users of Safari actually have it easier than that, because downloading automatically triggers the rest of those actions, except for dragging the .app wherever the user wants it. This applies to DMG when there is only one item in the DMG, but it applies to ZIP in all cases.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Don’t worry about the timeout thing, SF doesn’t allow directory lookups so most FTP clients timeout at the end.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Simwiz
    Participant

I downloaded the zipped .app file, but when I go to run it, nothing happens. The dock doesn’t even recognize that I have activated a program. Finder tells me that it is a universal app, at 145.7MB large. So, I would say that something is not working correctly. Do we need the other two files to patch the app? Am I missing something here?

Ben Urban
    Participant

Strange; it works for me. 145.7 MB is the correct size, and it is a Universal application. Does the application have the correct icon? Does Console.app have anything to say about why the application failed to start? When you run it from Terminal.app, is there any output?

imported_gcamp
    Participant

@ben Urban wrote:

Strange; it works for me. 145.7 MB is the correct size, and it is a Universal application. Does the application have the correct icon? Does Console.app have anything to say about why the application failed to start? When you run it from Terminal.app, is there any output?

Does it still need X or has that requirement been removed?

Simwiz
    Participant

Here is what the console.app tells me.

And, I cannot seem to run scorched3d.app from terminal, it tells me that scorched3d is a directory, not a program?

Should I digg up the crash log it is talking about to see what it has to say?

Ben Urban
    Participant

It appears that you have a version of the Ogg framework installed that is PPC-only, and it is overriding the version included in the .app, for some reason.

Removing /Library/Frameworks/Ogg.framework should cause it to work. If not, try replacing it with the Ogg.framework that is inside the .app bundle (you’ll find it at Scorched3D.app/Contents/Frameworks/Ogg.framework; note that you’ll need to use “Show Package Contents” to look inside the bundle). Doing the latter might also cause your build to succeed.

Simwiz
    Participant

It works! So, what I ended up doing was copying all the contents of the frameworks in the scorched3d.app package to my library/frameworks folder. Once I did this, scorched opened and ran great. For those with Intel macs out there, this version of the game runs much quicker than the ppc version and I highly recommend you run it.

Thanks for all the help guys, I am going to really enjoy my new universal Scorched experience.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Thanks ben, I’ll add links to the download page.

Simwiz
    Participant

hmm. It appears that the link on scorched3d.co.uk is not complete or is broken. I went to check out the download and when I clicked on the list posted in the downloads section, it just brings up a blank page.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Works for me. It’s the same link format as all of the other links there, do they work?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.