This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  TraT 10 years ago.

• Author

TARDIS
    Participant

what is the best program to make a mod in? (or edit if necessary)

Rommel
    Participant

@tardis wrote:

what is the best program to make a mod in? (or edit if necessary)

This list is mainly for the poor, but you can do most anything you need to do. The only software I used for version 40.1 was:

Windows Paint – Edit BMPs
      Windows Wordpad – Edit XMLs
      Windows Notepad – Tracing Parse Errors in XML files by line number.

There are much better text editors available and I’d prefer to use Correl Draw for the BMPs, I’m just too lazy to install it on this machine. For the music, I’ll have on the version 41.1 mod, I’m using Power MP3 Cutter Joiner, and saving my clips into OGG format.

I hope that helps.

Rommel

Berem
    Participant

For image editing use GIMP, its free and have a lot of support and tutorial on the net.
    For XML editing I use notepad, sometimes wordpad.
    For audio editing I use audacity its free also, and easy to use.
    For 3D modelling use blender its free also, its sometimes not easy to use, but some practice man can make really good things with it, its have a great support on net too.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

we should really put together that modding guide. i’d be happy to help if some admin would like to organise it.

software i use (don’t know if it’s the best but it does everything i need):

ulead photo impact 11
    corel paint shop pro 10
    couple of different wave editors (mostly creative wavestudio and nero)
    cubase sx3
    3ds max 8
    blender/cbx script
    milkshape [shudder]
    whatever for encoding oggs

risk of getting technical: i’ve also used various video editors to extract explosion textures from video footage, and whatever scripts/occasional vb exe for automating cropping/resizing/hue adjustment whatever over however many frames.

might be cool to familiarise yourself with non-linear audio fades if you’re not already.

something important: be sure to use mono wavs for audio. and remember that you can link to existing content. you don’t need to duplicate thingsyou haven’t modified.

TraT
    Participant

I have struggled with 3D modelling in Blender, not only is it very complicated, it is very un-intuitive (for example, right click to select an object). I found an alternative – Google SketchUp. It is also free, but it’s extremely easy to use. After a short tutorial, a noob (like me) can have a simple model in less than 30 minutes, try that with Blender! Also, you can download tens of thousands of free models in the 3D Warehouse.

Here’s how to get your model from SketchUp to the Scorched format:
    1. Create your model in SketchUp and apply your paint with the Paint Bucket. Don’t use a solid color for the paint, you have to select a texture (like in the Metal or Stone tabs). You can use your own textures by selecting New Texture. I’ve found that its best if you group everything that will have the same texture together.
    2. In SketchUp, Export your model. This will create a file w/ a .KMZ extension.
    3. Change the extension to .ZIP and then extract it.
    4. Open up Blender and Import COLLADA 1.4 (.dae) and then go to the folder that was extracted above and select the .DEA file in the models folder.
    5. Your model should appear in the 3D view (it might be huge).
    6. Shift right click all the objects and then Export using CBX’s Blender script.
    7. The graphics files used for the textures are in the extracted folder/images folder.

Obviously, Blender is much more powerful than SketchUp, but for most models needed in Scorched, I think that it would be adequate.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.