This topic contains 9 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Laptops Daddy 10 years, 12 months ago.

• Author

mooic
    Participant

I was just wondering if anyone else has such a ludicros setup as I have ;),
    my limiting factor is that i am running a laptop which to say the least has ‘thermal’ issues, it runs a max of 30fps with water off until it warms up then it averages 5 🙁

(the screen btw is a 42″Panaconic PW&7 1024×768 res)

NoMoreSteve
    Participant

*bows*

BOY
    Participant

*revises christmas wish list*

Deathstryker
    Participant

whoaaaaa…..

You’d feel like you’re actually there with that setup!

mecha mario
    Participant

applauds*

BigBear
    Participant

*turns into a speechless green lump of envy*

I almost do not feel sorry for you anymore in regards to the thermal issues ;). That is one tasty picture!

Regarding the thermal issue. How long ago since you cleaned the heatsink (and did you get any initial improvement when you cleaned it the first time)? If i remember correctly you used a cd case or something to elevate the comp from the table right? I’m using three small items along the edges and corners to maximize the area exposed to fresh air. Mine works just fine now but having been there I know the frustration (especially when you have got a friggin massive unit to view the carnage on). Best of fps-luck to you!

NoMoreSteve
    Participant

To help with the cooling for your laptop, you can always pick up a USB laptop cooling pad. Companies like Tripplite, Belkin and Vantec have a few to choose from.

-NMS

mooic
    Participant

Well thank you all, it is like being there!
    To BB,

Originally i had an overheating problem, basically the fan would run all the time and not switch off or slow down when it should, i stripped the laptop down and removed the heatsink, the design is that the heatsink itself sits next to the cpu and has 2 heat pipes conecting the two items, the heatsink is constructed from little box sections, the fan is designed to suck air through the box sections, basically all of the box sections were full of fluff! Cleaning out rectified the problem! Now i have a similar but different problem,

When my system is ticking over (just desktop desplayed) then it is at 40 degrees, the very second i open scorched the fan takes off and temp jump to 65-70 degrees this will gradually increase until it reaches 80 degreed where the processor slows down, so i can play scorched at 30fps for about 30 mins before it dropps to less than 5 fps (i have actually had it drop to 0fps!).

I have had the following pointed out to me,
    When i originally took the heatsink off it uses a heatpad ontop of the processor core, I did NOT change this heatpad (apparently they are only good for 1 use, and they are not that good anyway!) so have been advised to replace the heatpad with heatsink compound, I will do this and let you know if it has made a difference! Apparently i should see a 10 degree difference!

Also i have the back of my laptop propped on a DVD case to improve air flow!

NoMoreSteve
    Participant

@mooic wrote:

I have had the following pointed out to me,
    When i originally took the heatsink off it uses a heatpad ontop of the processor core, I did NOT change this heatpad (apparently they are only good for 1 use, and they are not that good anyway!) so have been advised to replace the heatpad with heatsink compound, I will do this and let you know if it has made a difference! Apparently i should see a 10 degree difference!

A couple of things to remember when dealing with thermal compound:

* Make sure you get “compound”, not paste. I knew someone who made this mistake. (No, not me! 😉 )
    * Use it sparingly. All you need is a very thin coat of it on the heatsink. All you’re really trying to do with it is to smooth out the imperfections that reside between the face of the heatsink and the top of the cpu.
    * There isn’t any real major differences in manufacturers of thermal compound. A decrease of 10 degrees by simply removing the old thermal pad and adding the compound is not really feasible. Anywhere from 3-5 is more realistic.

This article is a little dated, but the principles are the same today:

http://www.dansdata.com/goop.htm

Hope this helps and good luck!

-NMS

mooic
    Participant

Damn, i used heatsink compound, sould have put vegemite on it :), anyway, the results of my latest ‘take laptop to pieces’ experement are as follows,

Fan, Blocked, so i cleaned it again
    Heatsink, Blocked, cleaned that aswell
    CPU Thermal pad, non existant 😯 , added thermal compound!

Result, At tickover 35 degrees, running scorched 60-70 degrees but dosent rise any further!

Lets see how long this lasts!

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@nomoresteve wrote:

There isn’t any real major differences in manufacturers of thermal compound. A decrease of 10 degrees by simply removing the old thermal pad and adding the compound is not really feasible….

There are major differences. There’s probably not much in it at the top end, but you can buy shit thermal compound. Considering what it costs (and how much you need), you may as well buy the best.

Temp. differences depend on the CPU type, but for an Athlon XP (or anything similar with an exposed raised core), 10C is conservative*. If you’re only getting 3-5 degs. diff, you’re probably not doing it right. (Some thermal pads are better than others). It’ll make less difference if the CPU has a heat spreader.

Sorry Steve. I’m sure you know what you’re talking about.

A point about applying thermal compound (since there’s a thread)…

It’s essential to clean both the CPU core and the underside of the heat sink with alcohol before applying the compound (that’s, Isopropyl (or better) (not Vodka : ) (must evaporate 100% without leaving a residue)).

Anyway, glad you fixed it.

*Problem is that even once you’ve scraped/scrubbed off the old pad, there’s still a residue impregnated into the heat sink surface. So NM may be right to an extent (depends how simple simply is). Most decent heat sinks come without one applied.

Risk of stating the obvious: The Internet is mostly bullshit written by idiots. Reviews/user tests usually don’t mean a lot in the real World.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.