This topic contains 23 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  PeanutsRevenge 7 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

bugeater
    Participant

Anybody else running into sound problems with Ubuntu latest release? I’ve only seen issues with Scorched. A few weeks back it was scratchy then no sound; at the moment I have no sound.

ORCACommander
    Participant

is this only s3d or is the problem seen in other apps?

tumbleweed
    Participant

I had the same concern, however I chickened out and went to Mepis8 which fixed my sound issue…

Ubuntu has been releasing some “half baked” stuff recently to make their release schedule, 9.04 broke all the Intel vid drivers, and the drivers for sound blaster cards, which was my specific problem…

I would think they had this fixed by now, what do they say on the forums?

bugeater
    Participant

It is only s3d that is giving problems for me. It all worked fine in 9.04 and I went to 9.10 just for kicks and giggles. I’ve done a little nominal searching but ‘sound issues in ubuntu 9.10’ is a little broad, and since I don’t know the ins and outs of which sound library s3d uses I can’t be more specific in my searches there.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@bugeater wrote:

…since I don’t know the ins and outs of which sound library s3d uses I can’t be more specific in my searches there.

scorched uses sdl, i think. http://www.libsdl.org/

sound issues plague modern linux dists from my experience. (not just in games). i know youre not alone.

not to hijack, but i have some thoughts on ubuntu and linux generally, for what theyre worth (not much):

whenever you choose an all dancing dist thats bang up to date, youll need to invest a whole lot of effort in fixing things up at a low level before its usable. and often the more modern and ‘usable’ the dist, the more difficult it is to get at the roots for old school fixes.

its a bit of a self-defeating path.

ive never understood why ubuntu is so popular. time youve fixed it (assuming itll let you), you may as well have started with something nice and stable and added the shiny bits yourself. ‘least that way you know exactly where you are and youll have proper root access to boot (so to speak)

my linux priorities are:

package management and easy unrestricted access at all levels. that way anything else can easily be added later. (i find debian and suse work well)

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

@bugeater wrote:

…since I don’t know the ins and outs of which sound library s3d uses I can’t be more specific in my searches there.

scorched uses sdl, i think. http://www.libsdl.org/

sound issues plague modern linux dists from my experience. (not just in games). i know youre not alone.

not to hijack, but i have some thoughts on ubuntu and linux generally, for what theyre worth (not much):

whenever you choose an all dancing dist thats bang up to date, youll need to invest a whole lot of effort in fixing things up at a low level before its usable. and often the more modern and ‘usable’ the dist, the more difficult it is to get at the roots for old school fixes.

its a bit of a self-defeating path.

ive never understood why ubuntu is so popular. time youve fixed it (assuming itll let you), you may as well have started with something nice and stable and added the shiny bits yourself. ‘least that way you know exactly where you are and youll have proper root access to boot (so to speak)

my linux priorities are:

package management and easy unrestricted access at all levels. that way anything else can easily be added later. (i find debian and suse work well)

I …………..

agree!

tumbleweed
    Participant

hehe

http://www.mepis.org

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

Downloading that atm.

Will hopefully be building a new gaming machine soon, so this can become the business machine, which I intend to have as a linux machine and GNU/GPL software (sage is SOOO damn expensive).

Irishbandit
    Participant

Can confirm that Ubuntu 9.10 sound sucks with scorched3d and other games as well.
    Pulse audio comments from developer about ubuntu PA implementation.
    http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/pa-in-ubuntu.html
    I know 9.10 is still beta.

@orcacommander wrote:

Other apps as well.

Irishbandit
    Participant

Possible fix…
    If you don’t use bluetooth try
    sudo apt-get purge bluez-alsa
    see if that helps/fixes problem.

bugeater
    Participant

That’s working like magic for me at the moment.

@irishbandit wrote:

Possible fix…
    If you don’t use bluetooth try
    see if that helps/fixes problem.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@irishbandit wrote:

Can confirm that Ubuntu 9.10 sound sucks with scorched3d and other games as well.
    Pulse audio comments from developer about ubuntu PA implementation.
    http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/pa-in-ubuntu.html
    I know 9.10 is still beta.

@orcacommander wrote:

Other apps as well.

Pulse audio issues aren’t just with Ubuntu, I know Mandriva 2009 has also had issues, especially with skype.

It’s to be expected tho as it’s reletively new tech, but worth the work given the benefits (I know almost nothing about it tho btw, just what I’ve heard from a friend)

Lithium
    Participant

The problem continues on the release version of Ubuntu 9.10. I have other games such as Neverball and WoG (supposedly) using the SDL libraries but these games run fine. Some people had a similar complaint with Urban Terror but were able to fix it by swapping out the SDL1.2Alsa package with the SDL1.2PulseAudio package…I tried this but it made no difference. The only solution I’ve found to work so far is to turn sound off completely in the Scorched3d game setup.

Irishbandit
    Participant

@lithium wrote:

The problem continues on the release version of Ubuntu 9.10. I have other games such as Neverball and WoG (supposedly) using the SDL libraries but these games run fine. Some people had a similar complaint with Urban Terror but were able to fix it by swapping out the SDL1.2Alsa package with the SDL1.2PulseAudio package…I tried this but it made no difference. The only solution I’ve found to work so far is to turn sound off completely in the Scorched3d game setup.

Have you tried??

It fixed my problems with scorched.

If you have please post back and tell me.

GXE3
    Participant

I removed bluez-alsa on my Kubuntu (Ubuntu 9.10 +kde) and it didn’t work for me. Sound is still scratchy. I’m thinking of installing another linux distro in addition to Kubuntu.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.