This topic contains 19 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  hobbesme 13 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Willis
    Participant

Well, this brings up something else I kinda dispise, although this idea can be bashed all you want I won’t support it unless others like it:

**Back Story**

One thing we all know is games can take FOREVER, which is too the basis of this topic, to speed things up a bit. Consider if you may our current status of 10 rounds, 15 moves per round, 45 seconds move 45 seconds buy…

10 rounds * 45sec buy = 450 seconds;
    10 rounds * 15 moves * 45sec move = 6750 seconds;

Total: 7200seconds / 60 = 120minutes / 60 = 2hours. (note non of these factor graphic animation time)

One thing I dislike are those who wait (ok I do it too sometimes) to the LAST second to place their shot. Now ok before we all get into debate I know that sometimes people don’t realize it’s time to shoot, or thier taking so long to calculate the variables, or whatever… but what if there was a global game limit to . . 1 Hour.

Now before everyone shoots me, just think about it. . on average a round lasts only 5-10 shots, so quick math lets say 8, that boils down to 1hr 8min (counting buytime).

Or we can look at it another rout, taking Ebonite’s post: (say it took full time) 12*10*35 = 1hr 17.5 min.

All in all 1hour should be enough for your standard game. Again this idea even I can see being a problem but, I’m throwin it into the ring anyway. Heck maybe when you consider the time for graphic playback and loading times… 1hour 30min, *shrugs* … Feedback?

cbx550f
    Participant

All in all 1hour should be enough for your standard game. Again this idea even I can see being a problem but, I’m throwin it into the ring anyway. Heck maybe when you consider the time for graphic playback and loading times… 1hour 30min, *shrugs* … Feedback?

Oddly enough, part of the reason I like this game so much is because of the idle time. See, I have the attention span of a fruitfly, and the 20-30 seconds of concentration, a bit of waiting, followed by the action of the shots, (which is generally then followed by a mild curse from myself), and lastly an exchange of comments and a few laughs really rounds the whole thing into something I can casually and thoroughly enjoy.

I understand your point, Willis, and agree that sometimes it does seem to drag on a bit long, but how would you like to be ready to make that last and final kill shot, just to have the server say “Sorry chaps, but you just took too long.”

I play this game for two reasons (correction – three):

1. It’s quite fun – presents a nice challenge without being stressful
    2. To beat you in stats.
    3. I’m an addict.

/cbx

(will we ever agree on something completely? lol)

Willis
    Participant

I knew someone would bring up those points right away . . and thats also why I was very hesitant about that idea myself.

I agree I like to sit around and bullshit with people, plus smack you around in the ranks, but I suppose its just my style of thinking that, my posts never get to be the end result, only start the way to get there. 😛

NoMoreSteve
    Participant

2. To beat you in stats.
    3. I’m an addict.

Heh, cbx plays for the same reasons I do. 😈

Ebonite
    Participant

I’d like to say I’m kinda with Willis on this one, which is why I proposed the reduced shots per turn and the 35 second shot clock. The 10*12*35 formula plus buying time brings max gametime down to 1 hr 25 min from 2 hrs. The two things not factored into this time are the graphics, as Willis has already mentioned and Gavin has addressed elsewhere in this forum by intending to allow shots to start before all the clouds dissipate (Thanx Gav!) and the player timeout/disconnects. These I have mixed feelings on.

I know why the server has to sync every player every shot and I accept this. It does get kind of annoying, however, when the server, in the process of syncing everybody, has to time out someone and then while resyncing everybody else, ends up timing out someone else. Most of the dead time in the game is during a lag while everybody is praying to the stuffed animal of their choice hoping they’re not the one getting kicked.

What really gets me, though, is players who appear to disconnect incorrectly. A player decides to leave, everyone shouts their chorus of byes, next shot happens, and the player who just stated they were leaving is the only dot still flashing on the map (or the one player on the score board still with the asterisk (*). Sure enough, 60 econds later, the server boots them. Now, I don’t know if there is a problem with the quit option or if these players are terminating Scorched illegally or what, but players who take off and leave via getting booted by the server are kind of sticking it to the rest of the players, I think.

No, there is no identifiable problem. No, I don’t have any kind of solution. I’m just kind of venting, I guess. I have noticed that new players, freshly connecting, are the ones most at risk of timing out.

I would like to echo cbx’s reasons for playing Scorched.

2. To beat you in stats.
    3. I’m an addict.

And, for the record, I love your sig, Steve. Reminds me of another sig I’ve seen on these forums. I can’t remember whose, though…

hobbesme
    Participant

@[PDX]Ebonite² wrote:

while everybody is praying … they’re not the one getting kicked.

I know I get that dreaded feeling all the time when I see that there is lag — “don’t let it be me!!” 🙂 (see list of boot-kicking reasons below)

@[PDX]Ebonite² wrote:

What really gets me, though, is players who appear to disconnect incorrectly … Now, I don’t know if there is a problem with the quit option or if these players are terminating Scorched illegally or what, but players who take off and leave via getting booted by the server are kind of sticking it to the rest of the players, I think.

Come on, that’s a bit silly. I think you hit it dead on the nail when you said, “there is a problem with the quit option”. We all have been boot-kicked from the servers for some odd reason or another :

1. “Client socket disconnected”
    2. “Read buffer 3 of 4 failed”
    3. “Client did not respond within timeout”
    4. etc. etc.

Obviously the game server somehow loses players’ ‘Quit’s. I believe it’s happened to me once :

I quit the teams server to go pee, came back a minute later, restarted the teams server game, & when I got in ‘hobbesme’ was still there & it made me ‘hobbesme(2)’ — until it booted ‘hobbesme’. It was like a scene out of Back-to-the-Future-2; I didn’t know if I was gonna run into my parents next or what. “This is heavy, Doc.”

And I KNOW **I** didn’t “illegally terminate” the game.

@c(b,x) = 500f dx/df wrote:

2. To beat you in stats.
    3. I’m an addict.

Don’t forget :

1. Smack talk
    2. Trash talk
    3. Inane chat
    4. Calculus review
    5. Theoretical BS
    6. etc. etc.

As for Willis’s suggested time limits — we’ve all added & multiplied some game numbers to suggest game limits. But when it comes down to it, we all know that teams games last about 15-30 minutes each game; non-teams games last anywhere from 30-120 minutes.

And we’re not stupid. If I look at the non-teams game & see that there’s already 10+ players playing, I don’t join if I don’t have the time to play.

On the other hand, if I see 2-5 players in either server, then I know I can play 1 or 2 fast games presuming a flood of new players doesn’t join and especially if I know those players are highly ranked or at the very least experienced.

So, time limits, turn limits are all good ideas — but reducing them too much might backfire on us if we’re enjoying a round/game/whatever & the possibly-too-short time limits timeout reducing our fun!

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.