This topic contains 36 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  bizzybody 12 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Willis
    Participant

Note this topic is 90% sarcasm to be taken as a BS topic not one of my big hoopla suggestion topics.

Recently we have been getting some very newbish.. people. No I dont mean the “they cant hit the broad side ofa barn” type newb, I mean the they will belive aything they hear type of newb. One person actually thinks it is possible to cheat.

Also some people coming into scorched . . after being killed by a digger 20-30 times, STILL don’t use parachutes. Or buy batteries.. its like WTF how stupid can you be not to catch on???

Think we should have some sort of training 101 skirmish course they need to pass before allowed to play online? 🙄

I just think its sadd’y funny how some people have not yet caught on even after 3-4 days of playing.

NoMoreSteve
    Participant

Heh, says the person who has a particular shot named after him….

As Britney sings….. Oops, I Willis’ed again…”

That’s how it goes, right? 😉

Anonymous
    Participant

[/quote]As Britney sings….. Oops, I Willis’ed again…”

Lol, that’s quite funny. I need to play online more to hear more about what goes on.

Just tell the guys to get off the server and play Target Practice mode and then an offline match with dumb bots and then give them the boot heheh.. 😈

Willis
    Participant

Hey you can insult me . . but don’t insult the move! *throws a gernade at britney* . . never assiciate that looser with my techniques!

hoopy frood
    Participant

Heavy sarcasm here too.

Mabey we should have a Top 25 stats server so as all the ‘perfect’ players can play without belittling themselves with the Noob learning curve.

Better yet.
    Maybe Willis can set up a server himself. We’ll call it ‘Willis School 101’
    He can teach, they can learn, without the pressure of stats.

end of sarcasm

Seriously,

Have more stat servers, divide it in half.The idea being you would have to graduate to a certain stat before you could play in the better servers.
    This would make play a little more difficult for upper stat players and a little easier for noobs.

Hoopy

NoMoreSteve
    Participant

*throws a gernade at britney* . .

….. and cbx’ed! 😉

Just kiddin’

But seriously, I really don’t think there is too much that can be done about the n00bs. Some will learn faster than others. Some, will never learn. Just take it in stride and load up on baby diggers. Consider them as good investments. 😈

Ebonite
    Participant

and $6k a pop, too. well worth the investment…

let me toss out an idea for you all to shoot down at will. or shoot will at down. shoot willis at goosedown?

anyway, scorched3d comes with a little help file to familiarize people with the game. why don’t we have a few players write down some hints and tips and include that in the new version, calling it Hints and Tips from the Addicts or something. Stuff like:
    Buy Parachutes
    Use Parachutes
    Never fire when at less than 5 life

I have had the dumbest accusations leveled against me because these newbs do not understand the concept of some of the game elements. i.e.
    I was cheating because I did not take damage when I fell. (I was using parachutes)
    I was cheating because my health regenerated. (I was using batteries)
    I was cheating because my weapon hit nowhere near their tank and the hole still appeared under them. (I was using diggers)
    I was cheating because I had over $50k/$75k/$100k/$200k. (I was using interest)
    I was cheating because my shot hit them and theirs was blown off course. (I was using wind)
    I was cheating because their shots bounced off me. (I was using a reflective type shield)
    I was cheating because my shots were going through the walls. (I was using the yellow buoy walls)
    I was cheating because I wasn’t missing as much as they were. (I was using that modicum of skill I possess)
    I was cheating because random piles of dirt were appearing on them and not me. (I was using various dirt weapons)
    I was cheating because my tank was moving out of the way. (I was using fuel)

NoMoreSteve
    Participant

Not a bad suggestion there.

Too bad that you couldn’t do it like most software companies. Make it like a EULA to where they actually have to click “ok” before playing.

Yipes, I’ve been installing WAY too much software!! *weeps* 😥

Willis
    Participant

damn damn damn damn damn. . . EBON I TOLD YOU TO QUIT MIND READING!!!!!

why don’t we have a few players write down some hints and tips and include that in the new version,

I was considering starting a small website some free location yet be rid of advertisments n junk. . . and have my.. well hope this phrase isnt copyrighted but “Scorched for Dummies” issue 😉

Maybe Willis can set up a server himself. We’ll call it ‘Willis School 101’
    He can teach, they can learn, without the pressure of stats.

Besides the fact 56k does not make for great servers…

I hate teaching. Correction: I NEVER TEACH.

Anonymous
    Participant

For the record: I personally would hate the idea of segregating new and old players – I’d hate to be stuck in either group. The mix of people we get is much of what makes the game fun to me.

A “Hints and Tips” page is a GREAT idea – it would be really good to help out the guys who have aquired a bit of skill, but haven’t yet figured out the nuances of the game that could help them succeed. Actually, I recall looking for such a thing in this forum when I first started playing)

cbx550f
    Participant

Ooops, on a friend’s computer, forgot to log in – that was me above. 😉

hobbesme
    Participant

@ebonite² wrote:

why don’t we … include … [a] Hints and Tips [file] :

1. Buy Parachutes
    2. Use Parachutes
    3. Never fire when at less than 5 life

That really is a great idea. But some players may not even read the Help file … so maybe the install program should automatically open & HIGHLY recommend to the player to read both the Help file & the Hints & Tips file.

😀 😮 LAUGH OUT LOUD FUNNY 😮 😀 :

@ebonite² wrote:

I have had the dumbest accusations leveled against me [by noobs] :

1. I was cheating because I did not take damage when I fell.
      ** I was using parachutes **
    2. I was cheating because my health regenerated.
      ** I was using batteries **
    3. I was cheating because my weapon hit nowhere near their tank and the hole still appeared under them.
      ** I was using diggers **
    4. I was cheating because I had over $50k/$75k/$100k/$200k.
      ** I was using interest **
    5. I was cheating because my shot hit them and theirs was blown off course.
      ** I was using wind **
    6. I was cheating because their shots bounced off me.
      ** I was using a reflective type shield **
    7. I was cheating because my shots were going through the walls.
      ** I was using the yellow buoy walls **
    8. I was cheating because I wasn’t missing as much as they were.
      ** I was using that modicum of skill I possess **
    9. I was cheating because random piles of dirt were appearing on them and not me.
      ** I was using various dirt weapons **
    10. I was cheating because my tank was moving out of the way.
      ** I was using fuel **

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Actualy in 38 there is a random hint shown at the bottom of the level loading progress indicator. So perhaps we could put them there.

Anonymous
    Participant

Excellent idea, Gavin!

Are the tips stored in their own file? (ie: hints.xml or whatever) I’m on another PC right now – can’t check. Could you maybe post the exisiting hints here so we could try to come up with a few more for you?

cbx

Bobirov
    Participant

The file is called hints.txt and here are the contents of it as of the 38 pre-release.

Batteries can be used to heal yourself.
    Shields protect you from weapon damage.
    Parachutes protect you from falling damage.
    Parachutes must be enabled before they work.
    Shields must be enabled before they work.
    Buying fuel will allow your tank to move.
    All shots are affected by wind.
    The 's' key will show you your current score.
    The 't' key allows you to talk to online players.
    The 'a' key will aim at the mouse pointer.
    Use the 1 to 9 keys to switch camera views.
    The 'c' key will show a second camera view.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.