This topic contains 7 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  imported_gcamp 7 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Levi the Oracle
    Participant

Hello Scorchers,

I am looking for volunteers to help teach me how the existing tournament system works for S3D. I have lots of questions so I am going to ask them in this thread, then make sample tournaments using the forum tournament system.

My first question is, who is in charge of running tournaments? Who is the head tournament director? Apparently anyone can create an event, but who plans the year’s events? Who recruits new directors?

My second question is, can I run double elimination or round robin tournaments using the built in tournament system. It seems to be some kind of stats system, which certainly is one way to do things but not the only way.

My third question is, can I find a modder to make me one or more tournament mods? I would love to eventually learn to make my own mods, but right now, I am still trying to remember what all the different weapons do. I need a mod where only two players can play at one time, where they play either 2/3 or 3/5 rounds to determine a winner based on number of kills.

Because I am a noob, I don’t know what good settings would be for a tournament mod, but each match should be complete in 15-20 minutes or so. I want the results reported back to the forum so I can fill out a bracket, and call the next match. I suspect this type of tournament mod would have to be hosted by multiple players, because I would need several servers running the same mod, for various matches I call. (If it is even possible)

Any help anyone can give me would be appreciated. If you do not have a head tournament director, I could step into the roll but I need to learn everything about the current system’s strengths and weaknesses. I also need help making a mod the community will play.

If modding is not horribly difficult, I will also need a mod where the players can designate a team, perhaps a named team with a password. I have seen that the computer will assign teams in the beginner’s mod, but I need to be able to assign teams if you want to have team competitions.

Levi the Oracle
    Participant

When I try to create a tournament, I get an sql error.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

The website allows you to create tournaments (when its working I’ll look into that) that people can use their forum accounts to sign up for. When its finished players can be given placings that award them icons that show up next to their avatar.

The games are generaly run on the tournament server a seperate server that is configured with the required mod and settings. Currently I am the only one with access to the server but I give admin right to the tournament organiser. Its currently up the organiser to calculate who wins and update the website. Stats are recorded like for the other servers to make this easier.

This is one of the things I’m hoping to improve for the next version. Perhaps making people log into the game servers using this account (or a guest account if they want to try it out). This would allow me to tie the website and the game users together in a more coordinated way.
    Any thoughts on this are always welcome, I’ve only just started thinking about this myself.

Levi the Oracle
    Participant

Is is possible for me to run four versions of the same mod at the same time?

What I want to do is get a 1v1 tournament mod, that I can have several games going at the same time, all the same tournament mod, but with different players.

I think for the time being, I am going to abandon the forum’s built in tournament system, and do my own thing (with permission of course). I realize it might be asking a lot, but is it possible for someone make a tournament section of the forum?

Thrax
    Participant

@Levi the Oracle wrote:

Is is possible for me to run four versions of the same
    mod at the same time?

What I want to do is get a 1v1 tournament mod, that I can have several
    games going at the same time, all the same tournament mod, but with
    different players.

I think for the time being, I am going to abandon the forum’s built in
    tournament system, and do my own thing (with permission of course).
    I realize it might be asking a lot, but is it possible for someone make a
    tournament section of the forum?

Servers are loaded and run by the pc completely seperate from each other.
    The only need would be to give each server it’s own Port-Number. As many
    servers of whatever mods you want are entirely possible. Only limited by your
    tech savy and pc power.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

hey, thrax, speaking of…

do you think you should host an apoc server? the one i host isnt going anywhere, but updating to the new version is a lot of hassle for me. i dont want to do it more than once, so im waiting until v43 has cut its teeth.

levi, the last person to host a tournament (the team tournament) set up a dedicated website. the tournement itself fizzled out for whatever reason*, but it was quite a cool system. people could definitely learn from what went wrong.

*there was no winner in the end – mostly due to lack of interest and problems with time zones.

**actually, i took over the hosting for a time to try and save it. it turned out that my team were going to win by a mile and it wasnt right to badge a winner. the teams were stacked from the start and id made the mod. it was better to call the whole thing void.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Is is possible for me to run four versions of the same mod at the same time?

Yes. See thrax’s answer.

I think for the time being, I am going to abandon the forum’s built in tournament system, and do my own thing (with permission of course). I realize it might be asking a lot, but is it possible for someone make a tournament section of the forum?

I think there used to be a tournament section and we moved it to the news forum. Are you expecting loads of top level topics, not that I mind just wondering?

Levi the Oracle
    Participant

@thrax wrote:

@Levi the Oracle wrote:

Is it possible for me to run four versions of the same
    mod at the same time?

What I want to do is get a 1v1 tournament mod, that I can have several
    games going at the same time, all the same tournament mod, but with
    different players.

I think for the time being, I am going to abandon the forum’s built in
    tournament system, and do my own thing (with permission of course).
    I realize it might be asking a lot, but is it possible for someone make a
    tournament section of the forum?

Servers are loaded and run by the pc completely seperate from each other.
    The only need would be to give each server it’s own Port-Number. As many
    servers of whatever mods you want are entirely possible. Only limited by your
    tech savy and pc power.

Presuming my technical savvy is as weak as my PC, could the tournament participants host or serve the game they play in, instead of the Tournament Director (TD)? If I have a tournament mod, can I tell Jon to host game1 for Jon vs. Fred, then I want Mike to host game2 for Mike vs. Matilda. In other words, I want to have exact duplicates of a mod to be temporarily hosted until that game ends. Is this possible? If this is possible, is it problematic regarding abuse or because it is difficult to understand?

@gcamp wrote:

is it possible for someone make a tournament section of the forum?

I think there used to be a tournament section and we moved it to the news forum. Are you expecting loads of top level topics, not that I mind just wondering?

I am planning on using the forum to plan and execute every aspect of regular tournaments. I am tentatively planning on running at least one weekly tournament, and possibly two. I don’t know what you consider top-level topics, but I can promise some serious spam that is not really part of news, save for a tournament announcement.

I need to use the forum to announce an event. I need players to use that thread to express their interest that they will try to be there (pre-registration). Then I use the forum again on the day of the event to have the players check-in (30 minutes before the event begins), to show that they are available and ready to play. Then I close the event, draw up the brackets, and start calling matches, all on the forum. Results of the matches are reported on the forum thread, and the brackets are updated accordingly, all on the thread. Finally a winner will be declared and that thread will end.

A single event thread will get long, if I get any participation at all. If I do two a week, people that aren’t interested in tournaments won’t necessarily want to see it. It’s really up to you. I don’t really NEED a tournaments section of the forum, unless I get some serious participation going on. Given that S3D is free, I should be able to get some seriously large tournaments going, maybe then you make a tournament section.

I apologize for rambling a bit, but, with permission, I would like to organize a formal group of tournament directors (TDs). I don’t know if you have such a group currently, if so, let me know, if not, I hope to recruit a few others to run tournaments for me when I am not available. That way we can have regularly scheduled tournament events and I won’t have to do everything.

I understand that if I use the forum’s tournament system, it can put a cute little trophy icon under a winner’s avatar. Can trophy icons be awarded manually, since I am planning on not using the forum’s tournament system?

In conclusion, you don’t have to make a forum tournament section, but don’t say I didn’t warn you. I think the news section is a good place for me to announce an event, but not necessarily a good place to actually run that event.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Each server is a seperate process on the main scorched 3d server. Currently these servers need to be started manualy once started they continue to run until stopped. There is no dynamic (quick start) mechanism for launching servers at the moment. Although I could put in a page to allow people to do that. However Im not sure we would allow general access to it as they could DOS the server.

Once a server is started all other settings can be configured via a web page.

The winning icons on the forum can be added manualy (or changed to be what ever you want). Its pretty simple to do. Again I could add a page to allow that.

I’ve created a tournament forum and made you moderator for it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.