This topic contains 7 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  imported_gcamp 7 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Levi the Oracle
    Participant

Hello Scorchers,

I would like to try to run a tournament, and to do so, I need a mod. Unfortunately, I am focused on designing a tournament system for S3D, and I am not an experienced modder. I want to make a request for a mod, in the hope that someone will step up and make it for me.

I need a clone of the main server FFA with the following changes:

• 1v1
    • Race to five kills, 9 total possible rounds. I want the game to end when one of the two players kills the other one five times, so the winner can take a screenshot.
    • Starting money is incremental and not based on kills or damage.

Starting money
        1st round 30,000
        2nd round 40,000
        3rd round 50,000
        4th round 60,000
        5th round 70,000
        6th round 80,000
        7th round 90,000
        8th round 100,000
        9th round 110,000

Here’s the best part. I need it as fast as possible, the sooner the better. It would probably take me weeks learning how to make this mod and I am sure one of you veterans can do this in a few hours.

If I can get a modder to crank this out for me, I promise to give him or her a first round bye when they compete. 😈

ArmorWraith
      Participant

actually most of that is changeable in the actual server settings, i wouldnt know about the cash though.

Kanga

Thrax
      Participant

Yes, What you propose is not a Mod at all. It’s simply yet another
      Default ‘main’ server with different money levels and Round counts.

As for changing the starting money every time, that is only possible from
      the servers web-console or by some server.xml loading script. I know
      Gavin has done some servers before where the settings changed every
      round, but i don’t know how he did it.

A Mod.. would involve different maps, Weapons, Tanks, or other interactive
      features; Not money levels, Round limits, bullet speed, rewards, or point
      values.

Try a few mods, and you’ll see what we mean..

Levi the Oracle
      Participant

So if I said right now, Thrax host a 1v1 which is a clone of the main server FFA, first to five kills wins, Thrax and Kangabunny could play their match without a mod at all. I like to hear that. I am not sure I like the idea that one kill finances the next round as far as a tournament goes, but you guys are used to it.

I will forget about the money situation for the moment and just have you guys host tournament matches yourselves. Thanks for the help guys.

Thrax
      Participant

@Levi the Oracle wrote:

So if I said right now, Thrax host a 1v1 which is a clone of the main server
      FFA, first to five kills wins, Thrax and Kangabunny could play their match
      without a mod at all. I like to hear that. I am not sure I like the idea that one
      kill finances the next round as far as a tournament goes, but you guys are used
      to it.

I will forget about the money situation for the moment and just have you guys
      host tournament matches yourselves. Thanks for the help guys.

The finance levels are also completely customized by the server settings, and
      if you want no reward at all for kills, then you could simply make it give them
      20k every round to re-buy from.

It’s only in the 2 first servers that kills or a round win will set you for life from
      round 1.. Most other servers have it set by cash-4-damage and Effort.

First to 5 kills would simply require it to give each player 5 lives. If you made
      cash for kills and rounds at zero, it would be somewhat like you suggested.

ArmorWraith
      Participant

5 rounds, one life each, 20-40k?

Easy server setup.

Thrax, cant he just distribute a server .xml in his tournament posts, and have players host them?

The only problem i see here is hosting the servers, i cant host one as i have no clue how to, and im behind a firewall.(i think?)

What happens when you have two players who cant host? Just have a 3rd party player host it and watch, or leave it running?

Kanga

ArmorWraith
      Participant

Also if you want a mod, I may be able to help out, just tell me what you want weapons,landscape, and defense wise.

dont count completely on me though as thrax is more experienced, and i am doing my own mod which i seem to be working on 24/7. (its so much fun)

Do you have a modeling program for custom models?
      do you have a text editor. (if not, me an thrax both use contex, its a free one,very useful)

A photo editor?

If you want to do some serious modding theese will be the basic nessecities, if you cant aquire one of the above, Post a request, ill probably get to it soon. 😉

Also before you start, i suggest trying all the mods you can find, they are a treasure trove of knowledge and good ideas, you just have to use your imagination to twist them at times. Once you get the hang of it its pretty simple, your only limited by your mind and your hardware. 😀

Have fun Levi!

KAnga

Levi the Oracle
      Participant

I did as you suggested and created a server of my own. I answered many of my questions by doing so, but now have many new questions.

If I change every setting possible, how do I get back to the default values?

I created a 9 round game, of one life each. I will fiddle with the money next. Once I have settings I find acceptable, how do I save that, so I can distribute it to other potential hosts?

If I cannot save it, I suppose I could screenshot my settings and make simple instructions for participant hosts, and volunteer hosts. Unfortunately, I need to make sure all the hosts go to the default values first, then make the changes for the 1v1 tournament server.

I am hoping to be able to host at least one tournament server myself, and potentially have assistants willing to temporarily host tournament servers themselves.

imported_gcamp
      Participant

I can also host servers on this site if it helps.

All of the server settings are saved in a file called server.xml. This file is located in the scorched3d settings directory. You can get the location of this directory by opening up the scorched3d settings dialog and looking at the bottom (see attached picture).

If you give this file (server.xml) to someone else they will be able to run a server with exactly the same settings as you made. If you delete this file the server will revert back to the default settings next time it is restarted. If you look in this file you can see all of the settings and can change or delete them as needed.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.