This topic contains 7 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Brain Damage 10 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Deathbal
    Participant

Back in the mid 90’s I used to participate in Doom2 tournaments. Scorched seems to run them differently so i’d like to give my opinion on what I think could be a fun tournament based on what i’ve experienced.

Doom2 used to do 1 on 1 eliminations. I realize Scorched is a different game, and in all fairness, 1 on 1 is not an option. However, we can achieve the same kind of thrill with an altered method.

Now this is an example. Lets say 24 people join.
    You seperate them into two groups of 12 and 12.
    You set a specific date and time each group plays.
    The top 6 in each group advances to the next game.
    The final 12 play the 2nd and last game.

Scoring. The winner of each game is awarded +1
    Second place is given -2, 3rd is -3 and so on.
    The combined negative scores of both games determines the winner.
    Kills mean nothing, round wins mean nothing, just place.
    Winning a round should give you ZERO money.
    Zero money for lives as well.
    For example. Brain Damage wins one group getting +1
    He then places 7th in the final group match giving him a total of -6

Of course that is just an example. There are of course many different ways to edit. Any interest?

FREAK
    Participant

The problem with this is the times.

Not all people are going to make it you know…

Deathbal
    Participant

Yeah, I know. But you get an idea of when most people can make it and then go with it.

BigBear
    Participant

Sounds like a fun idea to me. Set it up and I’ll come and play.

cbx550f
    Participant

While I like the ieda, there is no way I can schedule a game… even my feeble social life prevents me from planning games… and let me tell you how a game is NOT going to make me miss a date! 😉

BOY
    Participant

Could be fun, one downside to doing emilination style like you suggest is that map placement is quite important. A few bad map placements can sink it for you.

Otherwise, I would love it. Unfortunately, i can rarely ever plan for a single hour of free time. Sometimes on the road I can at hotels for late at night, but even then can be tricky with wife calling me.

Deathbal
    Participant

@boy wrote:

Could be fun, one downside to doing emilination style like you suggest is that map placement is quite important. A few bad map placements can sink it for you.

Absolutely. But it’s better that way. Everyone has a shot. Some luck will be involved. I don’t consider that a bad thing.

Try respawning right in front of your opponent 3 times in a row in doom2. Damn, that competition is still fresh in my mind 😥

Deathbal
    Participant

@bigbear wrote:

Sounds like a fun idea to me. Set it up and I’ll come and play.

Remember guys, I started playing this online last October or November, I can’t remember which. So I have no idea of what to do to get something like this started. If someone can point me in the right direction, i’d be happy to. 😉

Brain Damage
    Participant

basically, when you want to create a tournament; 3 things you need to figure out:

1- the tournament structure (wich you already did)

2- the server settings (mod, score, money, ecc)

3- get some players

when you’re ready, you can use this page to ask the auth to use the tournament server (& have an interface to allow players to sign in):

http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/phpBB2/tournamentlist.php

the only technical issue for your tournament is AFAIK, that the stats only record if you won a game or not, not your placement in the “game ranking”

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.