This topic contains 91 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Laptops Daddy 7 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Looks good, staying away from the grammar debate 🙂
    I wouldn’t mention v43 yet just incase it gets delayed again. I dont think it would look bad to post again when its released, gives us a good execuse to do that.

The AI
    Participant

I’ll get the article submitted tonight; I’ll update once the moddb staff authorize it.

The AI
    Participant

The article is up.

linkage

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Looks good 🙂

The AI
    Participant

For the article on v43, is the next release going to be a beta or a [semi] final? Need to know how to spin it.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

if it was me, i’d try to spin it with a lot of HD and huge explosions, with some pacman retro pixelised wormy heritage. gameplay over graphics, with nice graphics.

The AI, i dont know if you know, but there’s a new website design in the works. It’s not quite ready for public scrutiny yet, but I’ll PM you a link. I considered a lot of this – it might help for you to see it.

i was kind of going for “a game for grown ups that’s fun for kids”. serious business, quality, but fun and free.

here’s an unofficial thing i made, just for fun:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbOCNrw8dgc&fmt=22
    here’s a trimmed version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCR1t5cXUgk&fmt=22

here’s a quick v43 video i put together when i was helping viking with the HD stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc9uHrMAvX0&fmt=22

i think the main difference in v43 is the option of this real time mode.

far as promotional stuff, i’d love to help with something graphicy, but i dont have the time to make anything worthwhile. we’re a bit restricted when it comes to anything official not least because we need gavins approval and there are copyright issues, appealing to the main stream.

i do have a concept in mind for a website i might put together for hosting and documenting some mods. i know exactly what spin i want to put on that:
    http://fileanchor.co.uk/scorched3d/modconcepts.htm

hope that helps for some inspiration.

ps:
    i have a film called “a trinity and beyond – the atomic bomb movie” in HD. im not sure where we’d stand on copyright, but it has some very cool explosion footage. it might be public domain – it could make for some cool video sequences.

The AI
    Participant

I had heard mention of a new site in the works, but not when it would be ready or what all it would contain. I’d love to take a look at it though. If we can time the article such that it could announce a new version, a new website, and (just an example) a new tournament, we’d be hitting the holy trinity of news articles.

I’ve actually watched most of your videos on youtube – not realizing they were yours at the time – and they’re really good looking. A combination of the v43 gameplay footage and the promo video could work well in the news post.

What I’d like to do at this point, is to work on setting up some visual elements similar to what the GoldenEye: Source page has going on, with the head/footer and fancy looking images. They also have a page theme in place, but I’m not quite sure on how those are implemented (moddb can be sorta dodgy with those things). I’d also like to implement a sort ‘gameplay crash-course’ section, hopefully with an english version of this video.

If it would be possible, I’d also like to pull in some more community talent, perhaps with some of Kanga’s banners, and a bit fancier html than what I had in the last article. Perhaps a prerendered bullshot or two if we can.

ArmorWraith
    Participant

Im Game 😉

Kanga

The AI
    Participant

Glad to have you with us, kanga. Because I don’t know your workflow yet, just holler if the following task descriptions are too vague, or too limiting. Since we’re both pretty familiar with the material – plus the general nature of the work – I’ve skipped most of the typical concepting cycle.

Ignoring in-article shiny bits at the moment, there are three main visual elements we need.

Preview Image (500kb max, 800×600 recommended)

The icon for the article itself that everyone will see. A good reference would be the teaser vid that laptop put together, especially the bit with the mushroom cloud in the background. Text-wise, ‘Version 43’ ‘Scorched3D v43’ ‘S3D v43’ or some combination thereof would work fine.

Profile Header 1 (200kb max, 950×150 recommended)

I’m looking for a higher-quality, non-tiling take on the current header. ‘Scorched3D’ in the same sort of flaming letters with the website in smaller letters beneath it. Quite straight-forward.

Profile Header 2
    (2000kb max, 940×370 minimum, in game screenshot)*

If we’re lucky enough to make it into the rotator, this is what people will see. All we need is a nice, in-game shot, preferably with the settings maxed. Make sure to take note of the image ratio.

*Anyone, really, can come up with the screenshot. Think of it as some sort of mini-competition.

ArmorWraith
    Participant

heres a first one i made 🙂

Kanga

ArmorWraith
    Participant

logo concept

ArmorWraith
    Participant

2nd concept

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@Kangabunny wrote:

2nd concept

I like this, but the O and D are too obscured IMO.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

kangabunny (or anyone else who’s up for it), are you any good with vector stuff?
    this is the current logo:

i CANNOT find the font used (and ive scanned through literally hundreds). i think it would be really useful (unless someone can find it*, if we can remake it.

(*what’s that font in your signature banner? that looks very close).

i had a quick go:
    [attachment=1:3cyk3053]s3dlogofont.png[/attachment:3cyk3053]
    but it’s rough, it could be done better.

if you could replicate the font used in the current logo (or adapt an existing one to match exactly) and post it in silhouette form as above (or as an svg file or something), we could convert it to a font file like this:
    [attachment=0:3cyk3053]scorched3dttf.zip[/attachment:3cyk3053]
    i find ttf font files are perfect for sharing basic vector stuff between applications. there really isnt another universal vector file format that all programs can read.

i dont expect we’ll ever be able to match the original fire effect 100% (gavin might be able to if he has his original files or tools from however long ago that was made). fire effects are often a one shot deal from my experience.

if someone could come up with exactly the same logo, but better, it’d prob be really useful in trying to preserve the current branding. youre already close by the looks of it.

ArmorWraith
    Participant

test

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 93 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.