This topic contains 96 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  BOY 9 years, 1 month ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #53344

    BOY
    Participant

    my earlier idea to post tournament which would simply award the players with the best stats, not the MOST stats, is one option. But changing the ranking system has been something I’ve wanted for a while now.

    My main problem is that the ranking system should simply be changed to something other than total kills – such as Game wins, kills per round, or score per round.

    Since we now have a score per round there is little reason not to use the scoring ability for a skill ranking.

    Considering that we have a free market economy that makes good weapons cost more, there is really no need to penalize a player’s skill when using a heavy weapon. They are already penalized economically. Therefore they should be awarded the same skill for every kill.

    Bonus for killing more skilled players is fine too.

    #53345

    Laptops Daddy
    Participant

    @boy wrote:

    Considering that we have a free market economy that makes good weapons cost more, there is really no need to penalize a player’s skill when using a heavy weapon. They are already penalized economically. Therefore they should be awarded the same skill for every kill..

    I disagree. Seems to me that most of the best players will/do have a distaste for the heavier weapons and avoid using them. If this is true, a skill rating that didnt take into account weapons level, would be badly skewed.

    Example, imagine the damage a player would do if they average 2 shots a kill with missiles, but switched to baby shogs. (Let alone funks and rollers). Fair enough, these weapons are available to everyone, but its a fact that the best players just dont and wont use them.

    Maybe we need a poll. ‘Do you find shogging distasteful? And would you Funk?’

    Theres a reason mcb is so popular, and I think much of it is in the lack of challenge with anything but missiles for the players who spend more time on the Scorched servers than they do sleeping.

    If anything, skill ratings should be biased more towards weapons level.

    #53346

    yusuf
    Participant

    I have experimented with the skill system and i discovered that if ur tank dies, u loose a lot of points ..
    i dont get this? what does a players shooting ability have to do with his survival ?

    #53347

    Rommel
    Participant

    Pay attention this time. I’m growing weary of repeating myself.

    @yusuf wrote:

    I have experimented with the skill system and i discovered that if ur tank dies, u loose a lot of points ..
    i dont get this? what does a players shooting ability have to do with his survival ?

    The object of the game is survival.

    #53348

    PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

    @rommel wrote:

    Pay attention this time. I’m growing weary of repeating myself.

    @yusuf wrote:

    I have experimented with the skill system and i discovered that if ur tank dies, u loose a lot of points ..
    i dont get this? what does a players shooting ability have to do with his survival ?

    The object of the game is survival.

    That may be YOUR opinion.
    I am of a different opinion, MY primary goal when playing is to have fun and enjoy myself.
    The ability to play one handed is of exceptional use here,

    My secondary aim is to win, which I manage now and then, usually through a combination of kills and survival with the occasional time when assist swing it.

    I am torn when it comes to weapon level having an impact on skill.
    In the second half of a game, when bubbles/ports and fuel start coming into play. Hogs, Diggers, Funks, Hot Napalm etc.. are almost a requirement to get a kill, so weapon level should not be brought into account.

    However, if the latest player that is set on getting a top 3 medal twigs that if they hog and funk people early on and then leave as others start getting money to defend themselves, they’ll have an insaine skill level due to 1-2 kills per shot all the time.

    #53349

    NAKED STONER
    Participant

    The first day I started playing S3d I asked everyone if they could feel the Wind of Change. No one said anything, but i bet they can feel it now. The number of kills is the only solid stat that does not flux. If I only played noobs, my skill rating would go up fast,not a good rank system.It seems alot of good players are upset that an OK player can put in the time needed to out rank them. Gosh!, can’t let that happen! Lets change the rank system to better fit the good players so they don’t feel like they can never be 1st. 5 days and 250 in the new stats and people want a new rank system? Why? Because some players already know they can’t out play me,that’s why! Why change the stats system that has been used in every No-Bot stat server since the very first version? Just because of me?,or just because of people who like to sit down for awhile and play a fun game? Quit acting like spoiled brats and start getting 1000 kills a month. THE NAKED STONER

    #53350

    yusuf
    Participant

    u talk like borat stoner

    #53351

    Raden
    Participant

    Ok 🙂

    This is gonna be slightly long but please bear with me.
    I think the ranking system should be changed. It should be more skill based but not based on the current way of calculating skill. Actually, I don’t know how the current skill rating is calculated 😕 IMO, ranking (ie skill) should be based on

    1. Weapon Used
    2. Shots/Kill
    3. Number of Kills
    4. Resignations
    5. Suicide Kills

    Other parameters are not as relevant as these mentioned in determining the skill level of a player. ( Resigns Excluded) This is my suggested calculation method.

    [ (A x 10) + (C x 10) ] divided by [ (B x 10) + (D x 5) + (E x 10) ]

    where:

    A = Sum of Weapon Arms Level X No. of kills using Specified weapon

    B = Shots per Kill

    C = Number of Kills

    D = Resigns

    E = Suicide Kills

    and the figures are multiplied by a specified figure for factorisation to determine importance or significance of the selected parameters. Factorising is as follows:

    1. Weapon used : factored by 10 —- to imply the importance of the use of a specified weapon for a kill. Cmon folks, everyone can see the difference in skill required to kill using a Nuke or a Hog as compared to using a weapon with a higher arms level.

    2. Shots per kill : factored by 10 —- equally important to determining skill level of player ie more shots required less skill involved.

    3. Kills : factored by 10 —- since this is a game involving shooting at targets, number of kills is equally important. (NOTE: Naked Stoner…I did not neglect number of kills)

    4. Resigns : factored by 5 —- Resigning is a tactical choice, to reduce the opponents number of kills by exiting the round, but by doing so, the resigner should be imposed penalty points for exercising this choice. ( Resigning is the only parameter I chose here that does not involve a player’s skill determination)

    5. Suicide Kills : factored by 10 —- statistics show suicide kills involve new players, so the more the suicide kills, the lesser the experience of the players (in general). However, a highly skilled player can make a suicide kill by forgetting to increase power or check his shot clearance ie showing a temporary lapse of skill. A highly skilled player can also make a suicide kill if their target is close to them, and the target dies in a funky manner, taking their life as well. In effect, by including this parameter in the calculation method, players will think twice about shooting someone close to them, therefore possibly reducing the need for trucing, or having the player to make porting or moving away from their neighbour an option to consider.

    Example

    baby missiles: arms level 10 kills 100 ==> 10 X 100 = 1000
    missiles: arms level 9 kills 50 ==> 9 X 50 = 450
    funky bomb: arms level 3 kills 10 ==> 3 X 10 = 30
    death head: arms level 2 kills 15 ==> 2 X 15 = 30
    TOTAL = 1510 = A

    Shots per kill : 2.55 = B

    Kills : 175 = C

    Resigns : 8 = D

    Suicide Kills : 4 = E

    so, when calculated:

    ( [1510 x 10] + [175 x 10] ) divided by ( [2.55 x 10] + [8 x 5] + [4 x 10] )

    = ( 15100 + 1750 ) divided by ( 25.5 + 40 + 40 )

    = 16850 / 105.5

    = 159.71563 which when rounded up will be 159.716

    This will be the skill level of the player and rank should be based on this figure. However this is only in my most humble opinion, based on my limited 10 months experience of playing this game and watching the progress of the previous ranking stats which was just concluded. I won the series, but I don’t think I’m the best player in town.

    To end this long post ( I’m sorry for making it too long) ( but I’m sure Romm’s ones are longer) I would like to quote a good player I know ( and I’m not being sarcastic),
    I hope someone will take a good look at stats and realise that if you have nothing else to do but scorch you can dominate.“……..which is true…alas.

    #53352

    Outer
    Participant

    I too agree that a if you have time to spare into playing scorched you can clearly win the stats series everytime. Just sort by time played and you’ll see how much top ranked players invest in the game. I think a new ranking system is required, but i agree with BB as to say that the ideas we came up so far are not good (not neglecting the effort on the ideas wirtten, thanks for that). But for example a problem i see with your choice Raden, is that it will tend to flow to a small weapons mod, where the players will be shooting missiles and low arms level weapons. See the difference between a a missile and a funk for example. This will obviously be in favor of ppl that are capable of a higher accuracy, and leave behind other nice weapons as hogs and mirvs behind. Nevertheless i think some variables could balance the equation such as round wins for example. Can’t toss numbers right now but it will be good to balance what the weapon you choose has left behind.

    Ill take a look much more in detail later.

    #53353

    Raden
    Participant

    Outer,

    You are right ….initially I left it out of my equation because of a tiny reason which i now see as irrelevant. Sometimes I see players winning rounds by default because other players kill each other. But it happens quite rarely so I guess it can be overlooked. But its not just round wins…I’m sure there are other variables that can be added, provided the correct amount of factorisation is applied to each variable depending on the importance of the particular variable.
    Everyone, please feel free to provide feedback. The more the better the result will be, i hope.

    #53354

    Raden
    Participant

    Outer,

    Another way of making it less biased towards the small weapons players is by reducing the multiplier of 10 , maybe to 7 or 6 for the Weapons Used parameter. By maintaining the other parameters I mentioned as well as their respective multipliers value, the impact of the Weapons Used factor will be reduced.

    #53355

    PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

    Just had a thought (It’s my first in a very long time, so please understand if I seem very excited).

    Should the skill level increase naturally the more you play?

    My thinking is:

    Somehow, I have been the highest ranked player by skill (just beaten by Hyde recently), however I am far from even the top 10, so if this was the actual ranking, I could just get a new I.D and possibly finish 2nd overall, just because of a few lucky shots and being left alone.

    However, if the rating increases over time, it would make it harder for people like Mandy who very rarely play, but excel at the game.

    It would also mean that come the end of the series, there would be less people packing onto the server to try to grab those 1-2 ranks just infront.

    Personally I think that the rating should increase the more you play, but by only a small amount, to try to allow the occasional Elite to have a chance of a top rank, but stop those that have a lucky run (or create several I.Ds to play purely for a high skill level).

    Oh this ranking / skill thing’s tricky! Anyone know some expert mathematicians that could play for a bit (and hopefully get hooked) and work out a formula that 95% of people will be happy with?

    #53356

    Thrax
    Participant

    It’s not a pure 1-shot/1kill = high-skill variable. Instead, it take’s into acount
    more of a continuous improving skill calculation. Adding more points for a kill
    against another player of similar skill, and less points for a low level player. As
    well as kills with low-level weapons vs high. constantly smashing players with
    1-shot-kill weapnos such as DH’s and funkys won’t increase your skill as much
    as a few 2-hit kills with a bbm.

    After a week+ now in the mod-servers, first time players enter with about rank
    40, and commonly drop a bit as they learn. The number of overall kills does
    add some to the score, as it adds extra points for other factors.

    That’s why this is simply a test. As more players begin in mods, and as older
    pro’s battle we can see if there’s huge jumps and drops that don’t seem fair.

    #53357

    Chopper
    Participant

    Here’s da Chop’s thoughts fwiw….

    Let’s just dont make it so complicated…….because it isn’t.

    Kill based……….yep.the guys that have the time to play…they can rise above and beyond their “skill” level. They generally make their mark, get on with their lives and approach the game in a different way.

    Old farts like us that hit a partial or full game a night…or even a couple on weekends…just won’t hit those high ranks.We’re ok with that. I held a top ten a long time ago….but ya know, I have more to do as much as I like this game.

    Skill based…..no question,some of the people here are scary with their accuracy. But they just help make us all better. Comes natural….and sometimes just lucky….but it just the game

    Rank…overall……don’t mean a thing. Once you really realize what you’re playing for….fun not rank…it all don’t mean a thing.

    Lighten up…..oh yeah………..starting a new donate thread, looks like Gavin needs some support.

    #53358

    Raden
    Participant

    @thrax wrote:

    It’s not a pure 1-shot/1kill = high-skill variable. Instead, it take’s into acount
    more of a continuous improving skill calculation. Adding more points for a kill
    against another player of similar skill, and less points for a low level player. As
    well as kills with low-level weapons vs high. constantly smashing players with
    1-shot-kill weapnos such as DH’s and funkys won’t increase your skill as much
    as a few 2-hit kills with a bbm.

    @peanutsrevenge wrote:

    Should the skill level increase naturally the more you play?

    My thinking is:

    Somehow, I have been the highest ranked player by skill (just beaten by Hyde recently), however I am far from even the top 10, so if this was the actual ranking, I could just get a new I.D and possibly finish 2nd overall, just because of a few lucky shots and being left alone.

    However, if the rating increases over time, it would make it harder for people like Mandy who very rarely play, but excel at the game.

    It would also mean that come the end of the series, there would be less people packing onto the server to try to grab those 1-2 ranks just infront.

    Personally I think that the rating should increase the more you play, but by only a small amount, to try to allow the occasional Elite to have a chance of a top rank, but stop those that have a lucky run (or create several I.Ds to play purely for a high skill level).

    Guys,

    I think if u have a good look at my equation, your worries would have been addressed. I did take into consideration all these factors.

    @chopper wrote:

    Here’s da Chop’s thoughts fwiw….

    Let’s just dont make it so complicated…….because it isn’t.

    Kill based……….yep.the guys that have the time to play…they can rise above and beyond their “skill” level. They generally make their mark, get on with their lives and approach the game in a different way.

    Old farts like us ……….

    Hehe…..I respect old farts like u Chopper and your thoughts and views are very much appreciated. I only tried to work this rank thing out because the current ranking system is not reflecting the true capabilities of some of the players. There are some very good players here, who due to time constraints cannot put in as much time as others, and as a result suffer in terms of rank.

    I like this game. It requires some thinking to make a decent shot. What with the wind blowing from different directions, high or low angled shots to consider, terrain to overcome, type of weapon to be used, the countdown timer adding some thrill to it all……..its a pity if the ranking system is biased towards the player who plays the game the most and one who uses easy kill weapons.

    The equation I showed previously takes into consideration shot/kill ratio, type of weapon used AND also includes Number of Kills among others. It reflects what I truly feel is a more fairer ranking system to all players.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 98 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.