This topic contains 147 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Chopper 4 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Raden
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

but i think if you were comparing just hardware costs for small time use, buying all new where maintenance costs dont factor into it. say you split the cost of a very high-end intel system (an i7, say, with triple channel and all the rest) into 2 reasonably powerful phenom 2’s, it would be a very different story.

For rendering?? yes, it would be, I should think, (based on my very very limited or almost zero knowledge on the subject). That would be a well planned out two-pc setup using those phenoms.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@raden wrote:

@laptops Daddy wrote:

but i think if you were comparing just hardware costs for small time use, buying all new where maintenance costs dont factor into it. say you split the cost of a very high-end intel system (an i7, say, with triple channel and all the rest) into 2 reasonably powerful phenom 2’s, it would be a very different story.

For rendering?? yes, it would be, I should think, (based on my very very limited or almost zero knowledge on the subject). That would be a well planned out two-pc setup using those phenoms.

However, render farms are not what’s being spec’d, the guy/kid/little person would like gaming/general purpose, therefore one great machine is better than two average machines!

Raden
    Participant

Yes, we are going offtrack, and i’m partly to be blamed, ehem…..hope to hear from Kanga soon, I wonder how his project’s coming along?…

ArmorWraith
    Participant

Bought the aforementioned configuration, lots of the parts went on sale as I added them to my cart.

I did order an optical drive, and an 1 TB hardrive instead of the 750GB, it went on sale for $10 less. The case and all other parts are still the same. The only thing left to purchase is the OS, which I do hope will be windows seven, will have to work another two weeks but oh well.. Minimum wage sucks.

Thanks for your help, cant wait. 😀

KB

Ps.did not feel the need to reply as the convo was headed in unknown trajectories and vectors which would result in a very large cerebral disturbance in my frontal lobe. Aka your convo confused the heck outta me.

ArmorWraith
    Participant

Errm which Windows 7 OS do I need? I was thinking of the Home Premium Full, I dont need anything else do I?

Heres teh Link.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116716

Thats the one I need right?

Thanks
    KB

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

Home premium’s the one to get, but the upgrade version would save you $80.
    I’m pretty sure can upgrade from XP, but I’m not 100% on that one.

Well, I don’t think you can actually ‘upgrade’ from XP to 7, you’d need to install in fresh (format hard drive first), then during the install, it’ll ask you to insert a disk with an older version of windows. Put XP disk in (or Vista, poss win2k). It’ll check for a few key files, then ask for the win 7 disk again.

That’s my understanding if it’s the same as the XP upgrade that I bought, but I’ve not used an upgrade disk since, so some confirmation would be useful.

Might sound a lil too long winded, but for $80, it’s surely worth it??

There’s always the student version too, which is ALOT cheaper, however someone here said that can only be installed a limited amount of times.

ArmorWraith
    Participant

heh lol dont have xp, dad had it loaded all three times i guess.. anyone got an xp i can borrow XD.

So thats the one i need for a full install correct?

Thanks
    KB 😀

ArmorWraith
    Participant

Ah new problem, I cannot figure out wether I need the 64 bit or 32 bit version. My guess is the 64 but it never hurts to double check.

Thanks

KB

yusuf
    Participant

you have ordered 4gb ram. If you plan to utilize all of the 4gb you have to use a 64bit operating system.

So get 64bit

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

With 4GB, 32bit is likely to be quicker, however, you will be limited to 4GB minus Video memory (and a LITTLE bit more).

However, should you add another video card or more memory at some point, 64 bit will be the better bet.

Go with 64 bit would be my advice, the speed difference is negligable currently, however will make a difference down the line.

ArmorWraith
    Participant

ok.. new problem… again.

Windows 7 runs Xp games right?

It runs Scorched 3d right?

i looked at windows 7 website, apparently i have to buy the proffesional version for xp mode? Wtf? It cost like 3 times more!

So confused…

KB

yusuf
    Participant

oh kanga! *** ** * ******** *** **

just buy 64bit windows 7 student version or whatever version you are buying!

it runs everything you want! every game, application, software, hardware, etc.

BASICALLY it almost runs everything that xp does. You might not even KNOW the things it dosent run. SO dont worry.

ArmorWraith
    Participant

Ah thanks mate, puts my heart at ease,
    assembled my comp tonight no problems, cpu running cool and all. Just awaiting an os 😀

Thanks
    KB

yusuf
    Participant

ahh excellent //

Post some pictures?

Are you working in the bios? checking temps, clock settings etc?

ArmorWraith
    Participant

ah Bios was the easy part, just awaiting the operating system to be delivered, its windows 7. Errm pictures….well see my camera is digital but works like a rock so well see. 😀

Next up! I think i shall purchase a laptop for my x-mas gift to me! 😀

Thanks and hope to post some kind of pics soon. 😛

KB

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 149 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.