This topic contains 147 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Chopper 4 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Raden
    Participant

@peanutsrevenge wrote:

I must point out the errors in Radens post (I don’t the chance very often as he’s often correct).
    the i7 chip can be had with wither the 1156 or 1366 socket which will be dual or triple channel memory respectively.

😀 that’s what I said didn’t I? you can get i7s in two versions, the 1156 and the 1366 socket, but the 1156 socket ones only support dual channel. 1366 ones support triple channel.

i5s on the other hand come only in the 1156 socket versions, and they don’t have hyper threading. i7s do, regardless of 1156 or 1366 socket form.

Hmmm, I’m not sure of the auto shutdown in a hybrid crossfire setup. But it would be a good power saving and noise reducing process.

Peanut, most of the time, I get it wrong 🙂

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@raden wrote:

@peanutsrevenge wrote:

I must point out the errors in Radens post (I don’t the chance very often as he’s often correct).
    the i7 chip can be had with wither the 1156 or 1366 socket which will be dual or triple channel memory respectively.

😀 that’s what I said didn’t I? you can get i7s in two versions, the 1156 and the 1366 socket, but the 1156 socket ones only support dual channel. 1366 ones support triple channel.

i5s on the other hand come only in the 1156 socket versions, and they don’t have hyper threading. i7s do, regardless of 1156 or 1366 socket form.

Hmmm, I’m not sure of the auto shutdown in a hybrid crossfire setup. But it would be a good power saving and noise reducing process.

Peanut, most of the time, I get it wrong 🙂

My bad, I read it wrong 😉

I thought the 1156 chips still came with hyper threading? Will have to check and make another EDIT admitting my inaccuracy 😉

Raden
    Participant

You are right about that board regarding the onboard sound, I use the micro atx version for my HTPC, and only later found out the VIA audio chip only supplied 2 channel audio from its HDMI output, I ended up adding an Asus Xonar D2X for multi channel audio.OK, Kanga, forget about the link to the 785 chipset boards, stick with the 790, be it GX or FX.

PS: the 1156 i7s have hyper threading, so you are correct there too, it’s the i5s that dont have hyper threading.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@raden wrote:

You are right about that board regarding the onboard sound, I use the micro atx version for my HTPC, and only later found out the VIA audio chip only supplied 2 channel audio from its HDMI output, I ended up adding an Asus Xonar D2X for multi channel audio.OK, Kanga, forget about the link to the 785 chipset boards, stick with the 790, be it GX or FX.

PS: the 1156 i7s have hyper threading, so you are correct there too, it’s the i5s that dont have hyper threading.

Or just ‘X’

I thought I’d read that the i5 still had hyper-threading. Not SURE that it isn’t part of the i5, but it’s not looking good from my minimal look.

Acid22
    Participant

I’m fairly sure (after 5 beers) that you two are blatently making all of this up. #-o

yusuf
    Participant

i say again, don’t go with intel. (read my previous posts) other peoples money is their buisness : ) /// but AMD is not very great either. It’s just better to jump over a well than to fall right into it. Ask rad how much of his i7 he uses. He dint know its capabilities until he used it for tasks he dosen’t normally use 😆 (and benchmarking of course, like i care my friends computer manufactures numbers of greater value than my own on a software made solely for marketing purpose)

Ive seen guys posting on forums “hey i got 40392 3d mark scores, my computer rocks!” etc. They use their comps for web browsing. (its not funny)

For you needs, kanga, the posted configuration is alright (again i dont want to comment on xxx gx fx chipsets, they are all money making gimmicks. Example : squeeze out extra 5% performance from your cpu and graphic card that is hardly noticeable!)

As For

@Peanut wrote:

Food? Vodka you mean?
    And there I was, thinking you two were friends :p

Yes our food habits aren’t alike. But who says we have to eat the same things to be friends? 😕

take care, buy good and cheap. Dont buy expensive *beep**

Raden
    Participant

Hello Yus,

Read my post too, I wasn’t telling Kanga to build an Intel system, I was merely pointing out to him that for outright power, Intel is the way, but build your pc to what you intend to use it for.

As for me, I just built mine for personal satisfaction, so don’t use me as an example,(I know I am a bad example) I just wanted to have a powerful one, I did realize its capabilities, it’s just that I don’t use it for purposes which you think it was made for. I knew what I wanted when I selected the parts, its not that I built it blindly, otherwise I would have gotten the i7 975. Yus, I had the means of building what I built, and I am not telling people to build it too. Its just a matter of what you want in your pc, regardless of what you do with it. It is as simple as that.

So Kanga, stay with your AMD plans, it is good enough and the possibilities of future upgrades are available.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

I can fully understand why Raden built the machine he’s got.
    If I had the money, my gaming machine would exceed £10,000 (serious SSD RAID array, watercooled, inaudible, several large displays etc..).

It doesn’t matter what direction people take for a system, or what their budget is, so long as it’s a ‘balanced’ system.
    No point having, for example, a triple SLI system with GTX285s, 16GB RAM and an Intel e5200 CPU. Far better to have less gfx horsepower and more CPU power to ensure everything is working at its best.

Yusuf, if KB said he had a budget of $5,000 for one gaming machine and wanted to spend that money on the best system he could get for it, wouldn’t you me suggesting an i7 system?
    I know I would and I much prefer AMD over Intel and know that AMD give the best ‘value’, but when money isn’t an issue, Intel currently rule the performance roost.

Having said that, I do think that Raden should have kept Intel out of this thread, it’s just adding additional confusion to an already confusing thread (for someone just starting to learn the ins n outs of computer hardware).

yusuf
    Participant

**EDIT/*

deleted everything!

@peanut wrote:

Yusuf, if KB said he had a budget of $5,000 for one gaming machine and wanted to spend that money on the best system he could get for it, wouldn’t you me suggesting an i7 system?

Yes probably. Although i wouldnt buy it myself even if i had the money.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@yusuf wrote:

**EDIT/*

deleted everything!

@peanut wrote:

Yes probably. Although i wouldnt buy it myself even if i had the money.

WHAT??

Yes you would, the render times for the stuff you would be greatly reduced, or perhaps you’d go with Opteron six core CPUs??

Anyway, off track, would a mod cut these last few out, we’ve wandered a little!

yusuf
    Participant

now that we have gone off the subject i will tell you. Opterons are too expensive. Any one who knows rendering a good bit and does a lot of 3d would know a single computer is never enough. Be it i7 opteron or whatever.
    i would buy 2-3 cheap quad core computers instead of a single i7. Graphics card would only come on 1 computer.

Hope that helps 🙂

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@yusuf wrote:

now that we have gone off the subject i will tell you. Opterons are too expensive. Any one who knows rendering a good bit and does a lot of 3d would know a single computer is never enough. Be it i7 opteron or whatever.
    i would buy 2-3 cheap quad core computers instead of a single i7. Graphics card would only come on 1 computer.

Hope that helps 🙂

That’s a very good point, for that kind of work, a cluster would be preferable.
    I stand corrected and embarrased by my ignorant oversight!

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

is this where we tell kangabunny to “shut up, kid”, like that scene from star trek? : )

i agree with yusuf, for the most part. two high-end pc’s beat one ultra-high hands down where value is everything. it’s not just about parallelism and raw speed, theres an issue of redundancy.

but i did just wanna say, if we were talking about pro rendering applications and the like, the hardware costs are completely insignificant compared to software and maintenance and the tech skills to back it up. a few extra k per machine for quad cpu’s etc is a comparative drop in the ocean for any serious render farm.

tech/maintenance costs per unit would exceed anything you would save by skimping on hardware specs, by far.

Raden
    Participant

I agree with Yus too here. Lap’s render farm would out render mine hands down, I think.

An update on the hyper threading, Peanut, the newer i5s do have hyper threading, the i5 650, 661 and 670. The newest cpus on the blocks, the i3, also have them too.

@laptops Daddy wrote:

is this where we tell kangabunny to “shut up, kid”, like that scene from star trek? : )

He’s been awfully quite lately 🙂 …hope he’s managed to get the specs that he wanted.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@raden wrote:

Lap’s render farm would out render mine hands down.

no, it wouldnt. tbh, my ‘render farm’ is little more than few aging pc’s for a bit of extra horse power when i need it.

but i think if you were comparing just hardware costs for small time use, buying all new where maintenance costs dont factor into it. say you split the cost of a very high-end intel system (an i7, say, with triple channel and all the rest) into 2 reasonably powerful phenom 2’s, it would be a very different story.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 149 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.