This topic contains 147 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Chopper 4 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@yusuf wrote:

(ITS ALL NONSENSE! all are pretty much the same)

getting a bit pessimistic in your old age : ) hope it’s not contagious.

youre paying half the money for the psu that comes with it, which has an 80mm fan, so it’s not perfect for kangabunny, but…

here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129059&cm_re=antec_case-_-11-129-059-_-Product

(antec NSK 4480 II)

just to add to the thread, really, for posterity. those cases are delicious if youre looking for something thats all business and good value. i’ve used them repeatedly. very clean and efficient option if you build pc’s for others. (especially if youre old and boring : )

ArmorWraith
    Participant

ArmorWraith
    Participant

Actually the said configuration my dad dissaproves of, hes not sure if i should go with an non american company, he said to stick with intel?

Intel isnt a gaming company are they?

can you guys suggest new parts for my computer, while keeping the aforementioned : case, hardrive, and optical drive?

i wasnt even sure if the former lineup was compatible. If you guys had 550 USD avialable and needed a tight rig, what would you buy if you had to use those 3 selected components.

ArmorWraith
    Participant

crap.. dad said its my money and do what i want.. he says my setup may work, will it? now i am doubtful in my search..

tumbleweed
    Participant

What does your dad describe as a “non-American” company? All the computer parts suppliers are designing the chips in US, EU or Japan and having them manufactured in China or Taiwan. There isn’t a 100% American, Chinese, or whatever option, all computers are “globally” designed and manufactured. If he is referring to ASUS, they have a reputation for solid quality, and I have been using their boards for a number of years. I have the Sony drive and it works flawlessly here!

ArmorWraith
    Participant

Lol basically he wants me to buy intel, he said hes never had a prblem, only problem for me is it cost too much for intel parts. 😛

tumbleweed
    Participant

Intel boards are very solid, however they tend to be “business” oriented, and yes they are pricey. Most I noticed over at Newegg do include a PCIe slot, so you could upgrade the video card, but as your on a limited budget you could run into cost issues pretty quick. The on board intel video can work OK, I have 2 laptops with it, an AA1 and a 5315, “hot rodded” with a core duo T7500 processor. I can play Scorched on either (the AA1 Kinda chokes) but I do have to “turn down” some of the graphics. I do understand your dad’s point, and he doesn’t want you wasting your money on something that will go “FOOF”, but no one starts out driving a Lexus either..

ArmorWraith
    Participant

Ah Graphics card is no problem mate, i have a Radeon HD 4890. 🙂

yusuf
    Participant

If you buy intel board, you will have to buy intel processor. Intel is notorious for constantly changing their sockets, processor support, expensive parts. The best value parts you will find from AMD atm, and asus boards are very good. If you are not sure, go with a gigabyte board or with MSI board. All are fine. Dont get caught up in American non-American. The only difference is that American love making huge profits so they will sell their parts more expensive. (We made our processor go 200mhz faster! hence the expensive price tag is justified etc etc )

A very good ram and processor choice there.

I saw you got carried away with casing. (fancy led lights, extruding fans etc)

Buy a case with bottom psu, (helps in cooling and installation) (ask laptops daddy he knows).

I wouldnt spend more than 65-75$ on casing.

@Kangabunny wrote:

crap.. dad said its my money and do what i want.. he says my setup may work, will it?

Hopefully it will : ). As long as you buy the asus, gigabyte or MSI board. If you buy intel board, good luck with trying to install you processor : ).

The MSI board
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130224&cm_re=MSI_790GX-G65-_-13-130-224-_-Product

**EDIT**

I have a memmory set like this. Only its 1333mhz. Its really nice one.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231193&cm_re=gskill_ddr3_1600-_-20-231-193-_-Product

P.S – i still recommend asus or gigabyte.
    P.P.s – dont be a noob
    P.P.P.S – etc

ArmorWraith
    Participant

The ripjaw ram with the processor combo will work with that mother board yes?

The MSI and the ripjaws are compatible? the ram says something about I5 and I7?

yusuf
    Participant

that ripjaw ram, and the other ram i posted, along with your processor will work with any motherboards mentioned above.

I STILL say, dont buy MSI because that board looks dodgy. You might have trouble installing it. Just buy Asus or gigabyte man, they are top of the line. You wont have any trouble installing them. Dont worry about the compatibility. I wont mention anything that wont work. You can be sure and but those parts.

(i used gigabyte in my first computer which lasted 8 years. Everything but the board broke. I still have the board )

I bought a new gigabyte board on my phenom ii make 🙂 its working perfectly.

tumbleweed
    Participant

I’ll second that, stay away from MSI, their used in a lot of cheap OEM’s for a reason! I’ve also had bad luck with ECS and MachSpeed. The PC I’m using to post this has an ASUS board, and has been a solid performer, even surviving a failed PSU.

Raden
    Participant

I would stick with ASUS. btw…the 550 USD is for motherboard + cpu +ram + psu? and the rest of the setup (case + HDD + ODD) has already been bought?

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@yusuf wrote:

Buy a case with bottom psu, (helps in cooling and installation) (ask laptops daddy he knows).

actually, it’s more the reverse from my experience, but my choice of mounting psu’s bottom front for my own use is more about making better use of available space. the more you cram into a chassis, the more difficult it is to keep everything cool.

my own personal set ups arent a good example, anyway. im a bit of a cheapskate. i can get away with it, but you probably wouldnt want the same bits i use if you want something nice that will last you and be easy to look after.

kangabunny,

remind your dad that ati and amd are the same company and you have an ati graphics card. that doesnt mean you cant use your card with an intel cpu, but dont buy a motherboard with an nvidia chipset.

if you really want to do your research before buying a motherboard, one important thing to consider is the bios it comes with and the low-level system settings it exposes. (things like voltage settings and ram timings). choose a model you like the look of and google for a review. all solid capacitors might be nice. decide if you need firewire or maybe a legacy pci slot. you’ll probably want a higher end chipset to go with that graphics card. always look for balance if you want the best from each component. bottlenecks waste money.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

I’d avoid ASUS boards atm, I’ve had constant problems with them for both Intel and AMD (beta firmware, blank driver disks, several DOAs, faulty mem slots)…

I still prefer MSI and Gigabyte, although the current Gigabyte board I’ve been trying to install is on its way back with a suspected southbridge failure 🙁
    (I’m using an MSI board in this system and it’s been the best component in this for about 3 years so far, nearly always been overclocked in some way too).

The CPU/Mem combo looks good and the hard drive is tops, however, do you really need 1TB of space?
    how about getting 2x Western Digital RE3 250GB drives and putting into a RAID 0 array, will be very quick and leaves you with the option later of adding a 1TB storage drive (a green power westy would be ideal).

On the BIOS front that Laptop mentions, the best IMO is Award Bios.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 149 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.