This topic contains 41 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Irishbandit 9 years ago.

• Author

xtc
    Participant

@parasti wrote:

…it is no different from the current situation of people chatting in other languages most of us don’t understand even though they’re using (or more precisely, stuck with) the Latin alphabet.

I do argue with this.

There is quite a difference between case when people use different lanuguages and everyone using equal way to type stuff. English is a standard for internet whether someone likes that or not, and using it as a common mean of chatting is a thing uniting people, making our cultures interfere.

Despite the obvious difference in pronouncation skill that our natural background gives, we all can perceive and deal with foreign languages at least in written form. In particular, I know people learned some russian words (privet drugs btw :D), even though they’d definitely pronounce them wrong if tried to. I saw as well other people learning hindi and I did learn several words myself. However wierd this is a way for us to discover each other’s cultures. (As well as we may found sometimes unexpected similarities and/or funny stuff between our language and another. Or maybe thats just me crazy linguist does? Nevermind)
    But no one will be able to get even rough idea of and to reproduce anything typen using foreign writing.

Now ask me, what would I get from those hindi, or hebrew words being written? Just some funny characters I wont understand? As well as this makes people using some peculiar language in general chat even more distant from other players.

@naka wrote:

Hi pizza, как дела?

Привет, помаленьку. А ты как?

As well I see some (not essential but) techinical aspect of this. Even if it is game fonts that include characters so that people see languages they dont actually have support of, logs would be completely unreadable without having particular language installed.

Just take a look at our short dialog with naka in russian, what can you people not having russian language support, see there? I can assure you these are not russian characters, its just some useless stuff from the top of ASCII.

naka
    Participant

It will not happen at 100% i guess ppl will still use english/latin at 90-99%. seeing some chats in different charsets from time to time will not hurt anyone.
    The same is true for servers logs. If the logs are utf8 encoded there may be seen in some places international chats.

It will also bring support for some latin based european languages. Like letters ä, ö, ü Á Č …….

Thrax
    Participant

@xtc wrote:

@naka wrote:

Hi pizza, как дела?

Привет, помаленьку. А ты как?

As well I see some (not essential but) techinical aspect of this. Even if it is game fonts that include characters so that people see languages they dont actually have support of, logs would be completely unreadable without having particular language installed.

Just take a look at our short dialog with naka in russian, what can you people not having russian language support, see there? I can assure you these are not russian characters, its just some useless stuff from the top of ASCII.

Internet Explorer 6. Autoselect / Unicode.
    Never studied russian, nor have I manually added any language capacities
    to browser.
    [attachment=0:3mku3a5c]Lang.jpg[/attachment:3mku3a5c]
    Looks like russian to me..

But since russian, english, french, german, etc are alphabet based, it’s easier
    to fill in the letters with alternates across platforms. On asian languages,
    where one symbol can mean an entire phrase, it may be a bit harder to
    translate across platforms and game-clients. 😀

xtc
    Participant

Well I take it my “technical knowledge” is quite outdated. I’m growing old…

But man, Internet Explorer 6! You are even older! And extreme enough 😀

yusuf
    Participant

Well I take it my “technical knowledge” is quite outdated. I’m growing old…

But man, Internet Explorer 6! You are even older! And extreme enough

i must say for the first time pizza talked sense 😆

naka
    Participant

@yusuf wrote:

i must say for the first time pizza talked sense 😆

@offtopic
    All talks/replies make sense somehow. Pls don’t post offtopics (like me) here.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Give it a shot with the latest source code and see how you get on.

Rommel
    Participant

It’s good to see you back up. The updates you made to the source yesterday were a nice tip off. Thanks for that. An atlernate host would be cool for occasions when you are down for upgrades.

Rommel

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Yeah sorry about that, it wasn’t an upgrade but a hardware fault.

pastor of muppets
    Participant

Thrax’s mods were available. Go to http://advguild.myftp.org/ and join his forums he had a list up of how to find all his mods. We had some great games in merge.

BOOYA
    Participant

heck yeah! cant wait for new version! thanks for all the hard work you guys put into this lil game here!

DEFAULT SUX!!!

MODS ROCK!!!

Thrax
    Participant

Well, I finally had a person besides myself test the v42 build remotely..

Laptop tried it for about 5 minutes last nite.. and moaned about a 4FPS rate.
    I’m not sure what that was about, since all testing I’ve done has shown
    a faster rate than I was getting before. Maybe his custom settings were
    causing interferance.

Irishbandit
    Participant

@thrax wrote:

Well, I finally had a person besides myself test the v42 build remotely..

Laptop tried it for about 5 minutes last nite.. and moaned about a 4FPS rate.
    I’m not sure what that was about, since all testing I’ve done has shown
    a faster rate than I was getting before. Maybe his custom settings were
    causing interferance.

Sorry I have had a lot of family problems lately. I will try to get a build up and going soon.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)

The forum ‘news’ is closed to new topics and replies.