This topic contains 41 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Irishbandit 8 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

naka
    Participant

i ve tried some experiments today.

vera.ttf -> DejaVuSans.ttf
    veramobd.ttf – > DejaVuSansMono-Bold.ttf
    test.ttf -> DejaVuSansCondensed-Bold.ttf (needs extra bold processing)

the first 2 are 100% equivalents to the old ones.

but the problem is the test.ttf. it is extra bold font used in the game and is very well suited to the game. that font is realy needs to be extra bold in the game.

i used fontforge and make DejaVuSansCondensed-Bold.ttf 120% bold in horizontal direction only. ive tryed to convert some ITALIC based DejaVu font, but results were not good – resulting font became some very sketchy, and dont look good on the screen… i think it is better to be used some straight-bold (not italic) fonts for conversion.
    i will try to do more tuninig and adjustments. These are the best results so far.

Thrax
    Participant

I would call that a reasonable success.
    Whether the font can be easily scaled, and shown in the alternate coloring
    used for each detail, will be an important part of the language localization
    that is in progress.

There may need to be one minor color-change in the source tho.. Any
    kills attributed to the game’s [Environment] appear in black text.
    While this is never seen in the default since it’s meteors and lightning
    are harmless, it does appear quite often in many other places.

naka
    Participant

Got far more better results by using ‘expand stroke’ function on FontForge. it produce some kind of pseudo bold functionality.
    also changed vertical box dimension/ascent of the font from 1556 to 1656, but the program produce warning message saying that so called EmSize (now it is 2148 instead of 2048) is not allowed for TT fonts? any possible problems of that?
    How to upload font for testing?

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Seems pretty good, thanks, just PM it to me and I’ll have a look. A link the license would also be required.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

Just had a chance to try these fonts, they are very nice good work. Very nice and crisp. I’ve now swapped the original fonts for these fonts in the development version.

Also the multi-lingual support should now be working.

naka
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

Any tips how to setup international support. I was trying to type some international characters into the chat and into the player name, but they are still blocked.

The fonts are available in source form too. I think it is possible to get even better quality of that ‘bold transformation ‘, if is using original source font, instead of converting TTF (which already have decreased quality).

Thrax
    Participant

@naka wrote:

@gcamp wrote:

Any tips how to setup international support. I was trying to enter some
    international character into the chat and into the player name, but they are
    still blocked.

@naka wrote:

also changed vertical box dimension/ascent of the font from 1556 to 1656,
    but the program produce warning message saying that so called EmSize (now it
    is 2148 instead of 2048) is not allowed for TT fonts?

i think i was wrong. Instead of modifying EmSize, there is also a checkbox ‘Has
    Vertical Metrics’ which does allow to change vertical dimension of the font. the
    font now look more better. 🙂

The fonts are available in source form too. I think it is possible to get even
    better quality of that ‘bold transformation ‘, if is using original source font,
    instead of converting TTF (which already have decreased quality).

The Development V42 is at revision 107 as of yesterday morning, make sure
    you’ve updated your SVN Checkout and rebuilt. I’m not sure yet how he
    implemented it. He may be adding some type of localization menu for choosing
    languages, unless it’s made to automatically shift styles by the pc’s settings.

The new lettering does look extremely slick; a definate improvement.

I should have a a V42 Rev107 Testing server running that you can connect
    to to try the changes with. We also need to more fully test the connection
    level changes. I’m hoping we’ve cured that Eject bug this time.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

A good point Charred, I’ve only put in localization for the in game labels and dialogs, not for player names/talk. I’ll have a look at that too once I get the chance.

To switch the localization of the game currently requires you to change a file. data/lang/lang.resource this will probably become an installation option.

Rommel
    Participant

His name is Naka. His status is charred.@gcamp wrote:

A good point Charred, I’ve only put in localization for the in game labels and dialogs, not for player names/talk. I’ll have a look at that too once I get the chance.

To switch the localization of the game currently requires you to change a file. data/lang/lang.resource this will probably become an installation option.

imported_gcamp
    Participant

His name is Naka. His status is charred.

Oops I knew that.

I’ve made some updates to the development version may work now. I need to find some way of testing it myself, need a keystroke generator for other languages.

naka
    Participant

@gcamp wrote:

I’ve made some updates to the development version may work now. I need to find some way of testing it myself, need a keystroke generator for other languages.

For linux i am using standard xkb extension. It allow me switching keyboard layouts and it is working in all windows managers and even in pure X 😀

Other way is to using build in keyboard switcher in kde. (it is accessible via /kde control center/regional/keyboard layout)

For XP/Vista it can be used standard build in the OS keyboard layouts. (it was somewhere in control panel /Regional and Language ……..)

I’ve tried last SVN ver.
    International chars are still blocked,
    but when i try to enter characters 0xe0 – 0xff i am able to type and they appeared on chat like that -> ?????????????
    hope this helps. 😀

Thrax
    Participant

@naka wrote:

I’ve tried last SVN ver.
    International chars are still blocked,
    but when i try to enter characters 0xe0 – 0xff i am able to type and they appeared on chat like that -> ?????????????
    hope this helps. 😀

There still may be some chars that will not be accepted, simply because they
    are considered as code-control charactors and are filtered out for safety.

Without a Universal Translator, it may not be completely possible to
    substitute Asian languages with English across everyone’s screens. 😀

xtc
    Participant

Hi

Nice to hear that finally localization is about to happen to Scorched 😀
    Trend is that people everywhere getting more and more stupid, and using something in foreign language is an impossible task for most. But, with game available in different languages, no doubt it’ll attract a great deal of stupid noobs, not even able to communicate. Ha-ha
    Sorry if i’m repeating something what have been already said, I think that including foreign characters into game chat should be made a server option so that international players wont get characters they dont have support for and understanding of.

If you are about to create multi-language version of the game, I’d volunteer to make the russian translation (and possibly japanese later), as well as to help testing (if needed) of the very foreign language support thing since I am on dual-language pc, and both windows and linux.

parasti
    Participant

@xtc wrote:

Sorry if i’m repeating something what have been already said, I think that including foreign characters into game chat should be made a server option so that international players wont get characters they dont have support for and understanding of.

The support for “foreign” (I’m sure Lappy appreciates your choice of words) characters depends solely on the game itself and not the system it runs on, meaning that when it’s available, it is available for everyone. The inability to understand such characters is a non-issue, as it is no different from the current situation of people chatting in other languages most of us don’t understand even though they’re using (or more precisely, stuck with) the Latin alphabet.

In short, don’t mess with a good idea.

naka
    Participant

Hi pizza, как дела?
    @xtc wrote:

Why not. i think this will make game far more interesting if someone see on the chat international characters, typed by the other players. regardless he can or not understand characters (or language) of the others. it is all about fun.

The same think is happenig right now. ppl type in their own language using latin letters. that chat is visible by everyone. and nobody complains because he does not understand others talk.

Other idea:
    internationalization of the BOT. Imagine we have 2-3 international speaking bots. And from time to time they say something on chinese or Hebrew for example 😀

There may be a problem whit some languages when they are not supported by these fonts.
    For example, if you able to type in japan (japan is not supported) you and the others will probably see empty chars or ‘squares’

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)

The forum ‘news’ is closed to new topics and replies.