This topic contains 176 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  BOY 3 years, 12 months ago.

• Author

Stil8
    Participant

@deathbal wrote:

@laptops Daddy wrote:

ha ha. its so absurd! isnt it about time you recognised that each of these philosophies is dynamic?

none of these things are absolute. why would you even go there?

Very well put.

Every system has it’s drawbacks and no system remains static.

The US is not a totally capitalist society. I think you’d have to go back to the middle ages in Europe for that. Someone correct me if i’m wrong. I would also choose that extreme system over communism of any sort because I believe in individual freedom over the collective. At any cost.

But this is all a matter of opinion. It is each persons opinion of how they feel day to day life would be best. My opinion is based on each individual and their abilities to create their own life, within a set of laws, without the burden of others on their back. I realize others have the opposite opinion and that is fine with me.

Well, I think this says a lot about corporatism and capitalism:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5hEiANG4Uk&feature=channel
    Watch all 23 parts!

Deathbal
    Participant

Ok, but watch this 10 minute vid. It pretty much describes the path the US is on today.

Stil8
    Participant

@deathbal wrote:

Ok, but watch this 10 minute vid. It pretty much describes the path the US is on today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFXuGIpsdE0

I have already seen that video… It’s view of the spectrum is flawed and its criticism of democracy is not really realistic.

Yeah it’s human nature to be competitive and aggressive, but human nature also dictates that most humans protect each other. We are the only species on this planet that tries to protect all its members whether they are fit to survive or not. And thus, human nature must allow for a lot more limitations to aggression and competition than capitalism offers; otherwise it is a chaotic nature.

Deathbal
    Participant

I watched it. Much of it I already knew, and some I did not. Even though I an mot a global warming alarmist, I am against a scorched earth policy. I am completely against poor working conditions and or making animals suffer. Other than that, I don’t remember anything else bothering me.

They also made a point of criticizing privatization. There are limits to everything. I like privatization, but do i want the air privatized? No.

In order for a Republic to work you need to have a set of laws.

A good Republic does not have a class system. The poor can become rich, and vise versa. A real class system does not allow for movement.

A few side notes.

I absolutely despise chain restaurants and advertising. Not because I think they are evil. But like i said, there are limits. And it’s just becoming ugly.

Michael Moore: I pretty much disagree with him on everything. Like with the columbine shootings. There are no laws that would have prevented that shooting. They were not following laws. They built bombs. Had they not been able to get weapons, they would have found another way. They would not have said, oh well, lets go to school and have a good day instead. They were lunatics.

The Christmas carols with the cancer victims I saw before. There use to be a time when people took responsibility for their actions. People that smoke (including myself) have no one but themselves to blame.

The one thing he did say that I found funny. Even though he was probably quoting another. “The rich man will sell you the rope to hang himself with if the price was right” According to the 23 part show, he should have said Corporation.

Aah and the Fox news bashing. I’m not going to say they are not bias. What aggravates me is that people are trying to make them out as the only bias news. They are probably the only right leaning news station, that i’ll agree with. I think the fact they are #1 is what bothers people.

BigBear
    Participant

@deathbal wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFXuGIpsdE0

Err the US is a representative democracy. That didn’t make any sense at all. All he did was confusing his audience trying to redefine established terms. I get the point he was trying to get across, but AFAIC it makes him look rather stupid when he confuses democracy vs republic (which does not make any sense as per my first sentence in this post) with democrats vs republicans.

Deathbal
    Participant

Err the US is a representative democracy

Um, the USA is a representative republic.

BigBear
    Participant

@deathbal wrote:

Um, the USA is a representative republic.

I am going to assume that you are pulling my leg. In the case you are not …

… no it isn’t. The term republic refers to it being a representative democracy where a subset of the people are elected to govern as opposed to a direct democracy where everyone would be involved in everything. 😉 😛

Deathbal
    Participant

Yes sir, I know it sounds crazy, but the word Democracy sometimes gets to me.

Rommel
    Participant

Deathbal
    Participant

I believe you are correct, Rommel. And the whole “Republic” part is kind of drifting towards straight Democracy. Sure we still elect those to represent us, but most of them tow the party line. They do not do what is best for the district or State that elected them. They bow to the mainstream voice of the country as a whole whether it be left or right.

How did you feel about the government threatening the execs with a 90% tax if they did not return those bonuses?

Rommel
    Participant

Deathbal
    Participant

Again I agree with your entire post, Rommel. As I expected I would.

The Constitution is not being followed and that is what I fear mostly.

People like Ron Paul and Ralph Nader are looked upon as lunatics but only because they do not tow the line. Don’t get me wrong, I am no Nader fan, I am more of a Ron Paul supporter. But I used him as an example too because he would not tow the party line. As of right now the country is going in the wrong direction.

Rommel
    Participant

Rommel
    Participant

Rommel
    Participant

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 178 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.