This topic contains 44 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  PeanutsRevenge 6 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

i just stuck one in next to the ram there. that case has a horizontal mount for a card above the audio jacks. youd need a flexible riser card to use it for its proper purpose, but i expect you could squeeze in two or three 2.5 HDD’s instead with some clever mounting. or maybe one 3.5.
    [attachment=0:8ttl20i5]inside.jpg[/attachment:8ttl20i5]
    i cut the hole for the fan myself. there are quite a few itx cases around these days that are probably better.

tis a cool way to go. the cpu isnt up to much and the onboard graphics dont even work 2D in anything more than 800×600. but for a headless server, it’s perfect.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

That an Atom system Lappy?
    Tried Brazos yet, wouldn’t be much better for your use, but finally a mini-ITX system will be perfect for HTPC with a 32GB ish SSD and external storage.

Naka, you could use USB 3.0 USB drives instead of 2.5″ drives if you’re not needing too much space, they’re quick swift now.
    Had a go with a USB 3.0 external westy drive a while back for a server I was setting up, that thing was REALLY quick, quicker than a SATA II 3.5″. Was well impressed (and rather suprised).

My server’s pretty much overkill really, can’t post a pic it’s too dark in its cupboard. Runing a core 2 5200, 2Gb DDR2, 40GB root and 250GB storage. Was given a friends old core 2 so made server from it as the pentium 4 2.6 just couldn’t cut it (the SATA controller was awful)…

Edit: I put USB 2.0 instead of 3.0 for the westy. Now corrected

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

it’s a celeron, i think. really is bottom of the line. but it works. remember that team tournament? i hosted the server on that thing.

@peanutsrevenge wrote:

…a USB 2.0 external westy drive a while back for a server I was setting up, that thing was REALLY quick.

usb2 max is about 50MBs. you hit it with a good memory stick. no way any external usb2 drive would compete with an internal. (unless it’s solid state and youre talking about random access speed, i guess)

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

it’s a celeron, i think. really is bottom of the line. but it works. remember that team tournament? i hosted the server on that thing.

@peanutsrevenge wrote:

…a USB 2.0 external westy drive a while back for a server I was setting up, that thing was REALLY quick.

usb2 max is about 50MBs. you hit it with a good memory stick. no way any external usb2 drive would compete with an internal. (unless it’s solid state and youre talking about random access speed, i guess)

Thanks for pointing out my typo. Now corrected.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

thought it might have been a typo. maybe i am behind the times. didnt know there were usb 3 externals around yet. ive seen a few esata.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

You old bastard. Been out for ages, only sticks and drives using really

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

reminds me of the days of my youth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ2mJPSccvo

im an uncle rommel in the making. he can remember the days when he wasnt behind the times.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

No you’re not, the reasons I won’t mention as they’d kill your rep, but you could never reach that level.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

i have a rep? a rep for knowing my shit a little more than i let on, i like to tell my nephews with a wink, puffing on an electronic cigarette : P

can i say shit on here these days? what was that all about? … anyone would think we weren’t all aging beardy men putting the world to rights between episodes of top gear and homoerotic tales of hot PC hardware and power tools.

i cut the hole in that case with a dremel, btw. went through about 5 cutting discs to do it.

rommel’s cool, trust me. we chat sometimes.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

We are NOT that old.
    I wanna get a dremmel, but they’re a lil too expensive for the use they’d see (although I’d love to add that to the work I do professionally).

As for Rommel being cool. Yea, I used to find myself agreeing, but I can’t anymore, he got too wrapped up with proving invalid points and ranting about things an insufficient number of people here could relate to!

.–.ShoCkwaVe.–.
    Participant

here is my guess

It will say xbox or console somewhere on it.

sad but true.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

@.-*-.ShoCkwaVe.-*-. wrote:

here is my guess

It will say xbox or console somewhere on it.

sad but true.

Nope.
    The future of general purpose computers will be a smartphone that can dock into a laptop style, a tablet style and a full desktop style.
    Only gaming, graphics work and video editing and the like will still have a dedicated machine.
    The games console might exist, but it’s more likely you’ll plug ya smartphone into the tv and wirelessly use controllers of some kind.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

@peanutsrevenge wrote:

Nope.
    The future of general purpose computers will be a smartphone that can dock into a laptop style, a tablet style and a full desktop style.
    Only gaming, graphics work and video editing and the like will still have a dedicated machine.
    The games console might exist, but it’s more likely you’ll plug ya smartphone into the tv and wirelessly use controllers of some kind.

im struggling to imagine anything at all that’d require a dedicated machine in the near future. clouds are changing things completely. distributed processing for everything is where we’re heading, i think.

i think you were one of the first to put me on to this, peanut http://www.onlive.com/.

google and adobe are taking over. google already have flash integrated into chrome, and theyre dabbling with that chromeOS stuff. adobe have said flash is to support vp8. id like to see them hook up officially, it’d be the end of MS and Apple as we know them.

imagine if you never had any local storage. maybe you take a pic or video on your phone, and it’s not stored in memory at all. maybe your phone’s hooked straight to your web space. maybe everything will be accessible through a vnc or onlive type of interface, with more processing power available than any dedicated machine. it won’t matter if it’s your phone, your netbook or your tv.

ps:
    very nice firefox based webm encoder: http://firefogg.org/

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

Distributed / cloud based processing could well be the main source of power for calculation intensive tasks (graphics, video, mathematics, games etc), but the normal use stuff will be done locally, whether the files being manipulated are on a cloud server or just being synced with the cloud… well, that’ll be a personal preference I’d imagine.

The problem with the cloud for users like myself is that I all too often find myself in a location where there is NO internet access, don’t even have GPRS (2G) let alone HSDPA (3G). That’s unlikely to change enough in the years to come, GPRS (2G) or HSDPA (3G) may be accessible, but that’ll be at a time when population centres have 5G and speeds of 100Mbs/50Mbs and 60ms latency.

Chopper
    Participant

naaaahh…they just stick it in yer skull when you’re born and you’ll get an ip address and phone number at the same time, so everyone will know where your azz is……including yo mama.

“Just another brick in the wall….” 🙄

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.