This topic contains 44 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  PeanutsRevenge 6 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

i was forced to switch to windows 7 a little while ago. i hates it – skipped it for years, but xp doesnt work well when you have lots of cores (i have 6 in one of my machines now). and, you know how it is with the old pae stuff – ram limits etc. and modern 2k sector hard drives are becoming a hassle. times change.

this is cool: http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenVGAPassthrough

hardware graphics passthrough for virtualisation. so, you run a proper OS as a base, run windows 7 or whatever other mandatory crap, virtual, so you can run your software. and, play games : ) with native equiv. performance (or close to it). that’s the idea (hope) anyway. it needs a special something something in the motherboard chipset, and there are quite a few around now. im going to experiment in due course.

in a couple more years, we may not need multiboots or multi pc’s.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

Keep up with the times lappy, graphics hardware acceleration has been available in VMs for a while now, just doesn’t work very well.

And Win 7 is good, it’s just different, once you get used to the changes you should find it better (in most areas, not all, XP is still better for some stuff).

Isn’t the install process a lot nicer tho for a start, I still hear Richie moaning about how bad Windows is and great linux is every time he does an XP install. Meaning I have to keep reminding him he’s installing a 10 year old OS and comparing it to a 6month old OS.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

know anyone who actually has it working? im not sure hardware acceleration and passthrough are quite the same thing.

windows 7 is f’king awful. dont get me started. blah. i was writing out a list of flaws and indequacies to send off to MS, you know, just to register my delayed disgust. it bluescreened before id saved it (seriously : )

yeah – it does work, to be fair. disable some of the pretty pretty, and on a 6 core cpu with 10GB ram, it’s almost as quick as xp on a 486. it’s just – why does everything that used to take one click now take three? that’s what annoys me more than anything. im quite used to it now, but i swear it still costs me about an hour out of every 10 i spend in front of the damned thing – filtering through all the nonsense.

true, i suppose xp’s had its day. i use net installs for linux. (mostly debian, still, these days – ‘specially for server stuff). few hundred MB to a usb stick – 10 minutes, and the job’s done.

ps: im on three width caviar black on one of mine now. cool test. saturates the bus. thinking about an AMD 890FX chipset for sata3 and some of this behind the times virtual graphics stuff. dunno.

nice to see a few old faces around. we need more arguments.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

Don’t buy an AMD mobo yet dude, AM3+ will be out within 2 months and i BELIEVE they’re keeping backwards compatability for CPUs into mobos, but not old mobos taking new CPUs…

Yes, it’s about time we had a good geek arguement, just not about windows 7, I’ve accepted it and like a lot of the new stuff, but the lack of ‘span’ for multi monitors winds me up…. gotta spend about £600 on new monitors and gfx cards to get the same thing I had before (or mess about with softth in SOME games (excluding the one game I used it on)….

GAH

ArmorWraith
    Participant

My problem is i have a ram stick that causes it to crash if I put it in.. Its the same type and everything. I get the blue screen and it wont boot if I do 🙁

so my computer is stuck endlessly on 2gb ram

Armor

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

I have insufficient cooing over my RAM slots, so I’m stuck on 4GB instead of 6GB 🙁

You know most RAM comes with a lifetime warranty….. 😉 (whether it’s worth it or not’s a different matter given the price of postage vs the price of a 2GB stick).

ArmorWraith
    Participant

They have adequate cooling and heatsinks on top of them. Its windows 7 being picky, either stick works, its a dual channel ddr3 memory. Ive tried them in different setups, slots ect.. they just wont work with win 7… I can switch either one out and itll work with just one stick…

I believe its theese, but I havent checked thoroughly.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231275&cm_re=ripjaw-_-20-231-275-_-Product
    Armor

Edit** i bought mine over a year ago, those are probably not the ones but the same brand.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

Ah, that’s different, the way I read it was that you had a dodgy stick.

You have been running with 1 stick in each slot haven’t you?? ( I had a dodgy board once with a bent pin in one of the slots but my testing was bad and took me about 2 days until I had tried with 1 stick in that slot).

It’s unlikely to be a Win 7 issue (even tho a mate had a similar issue with the memory I have now), how’s it run with linux and both sticks?

ArmorWraith
    Participant

Ah yes, I had a copy of mint to try and run it..but I forgot about it awhile back and it slipped my mind. I realy should run that trial this summer.

Armor

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

you might wonna try increasing the voltage a bit and changing the timings. take the speed down if you can, run a memory test, gradually take it back up until you find the limit.

ooh. we can argue about that, peanut! when you get flashy heat spreaders on cheap ram like that, always, it’s a manufacturer’s ploy to hide that it’s poor quality. and it’s not to keep it extra cool – it’s actually to hide it from view.

back in the day, when i used to care – before the weight of the world crushed my soul etc. first thing id do when building a new pc, is/was remove all the heatsinks from the motherboard, clean off any paste (usually applied in a dollop in one corner by a machine on a production line), and redo it properly with some thermal compound.

it’s rare that ram needs it. im not saying you should do this, ’cause it’d void the warranty, but there’s a good chance that if you pried off those ‘heat sinks’ (theyre probably attached with glue instead of thermal interface material), it’ll run cooler and more stable. (dont quote me!).

or, do. quote me! there must be something in that we can argue about.

i used to do the same thing with graphics cards. there was a time, before the industry woke up and realised that PC’s arent like motorbikes (you know ‘nice – that thing sounds like a hairdryer! what kind of fan to you have in that? sounds fast’). id take off the useless coolers, and attach full on cpu coolers with thermal epoxy. same with the motherboard chipset.

naka
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

it’s rare that ram needs it. im not saying you should do this, ’cause it’d void the warranty, but there’s a good chance that if you pried off those ‘heat sinks’ (theyre probably attached with glue instead of thermal interface material), it’ll run cooler and more stable. (dont quote me!).

No way!!! Listen what lappy says.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

The heat is being transfered to the spreaders Lappy, I know this because their too hot to touch for more than a couple of seconds.
    It’s simply that the spreaders reduce the air gap between sticks, when I can be bothered I’ll mod the case a little more so I can dedicate an 80mm to cooling them, then they’ll be fine.

I clean out my gfx cards about every 6months or so anyway, although I’m currently running a thermalright cooler on my 9800 which won’t need cleaning, but the 8800’s still stock so a nice dust catcher.

I borrowed an old 6600GT from a friend, first thing I did was clean it… this was the result (he kept complaining how VERY loud it was, but never did anything about it)
    Yes it was compressed into a wall around the fan…

And I’ve seen FAR worse with customer machines.

Laptops Daddy
    Participant

it’s a conspiracy, i tell you! the truth about why ram chips have glued on heat spreaders:
    [attachment=0:3lpwryf3]truth.jpg[/attachment:3lpwryf3]

^

no… im still a fan of cpu coolers with a bit of overhang – that’s how the spreaders in that pic got removed. not enough clearance and they were getting active airflow anyway. i doubt they make much difference, though, really (manufacturer added spreaders/heat sinks). hyper X, glow in the dark, double go faster brand ram.

good point about reducing airflow, peanut. id like to see some tests. i bet there’s nothing in it, temp wise at the chip surface. (with vs without). theyre just glued on badges so they can charge a little more.

PeanutsRevenge
    Participant

Image does not exist!

The CPU cooler I’m using is MASSIVE http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/cpu/57/.html?c=2181

The heatspreaders will work, greater surface area, that is as you say, providing a thermal conductive material is used to bond the spreaders to the chips.

They’re also required for overclock/volting RAM.

naka
    Participant

@laptops Daddy wrote:

Is this a really memory with removed heat sinks? Because the heat sink is from Kingston while the stick is Corsair? Lappy u posted us a fake picture 😆 😆 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.